DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

15 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Bellator bound, i presume.

Yep, with Gilbert, I would be surprised if ended up anywhere other than Bellator. One of Strikeforce's biggest stars before they left the regional scene, wife fights for Bellator, and kinda has a name. Now it's going to be a bit depressing when he gets utterly picked apart by the younger guys but that's the circle of life. The thing is the price tag. I guess since Mo is moving from MMA to wrestling that frees up some cash. However, how much are you expecting from Gilbert Melendez at this point? 1-3 fights maybe? He can do analyst stuff post fighting, and they can rotate him in for shows in San Jose. But he isn't getting you ratings really, and I doubt he is going to be the ticket seller he was several years ago in the Bay Area. You're about to pay Gilbert Melendez $150,000 or more (he got paid $200k at UFC 239 in a losing effort to Arnold Allen so that's on the low end) to get washed by Patricky Freire or Brent Primus. They already have a bunch of pricey former UFC fighters who aren't bringing viewership to Bellator.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

15 hours ago, supremebve said:

Carlos Condit hasn't been the same since he lost a controversial split decision to Robbie Lawler for the UFC Welterweight Championship in one of the greatest fights ever that many thought he won. That was a fight that needed an immediate rematch. Gutted it didn't happen.

Edited by The Natural

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Carlos Condit hasn't been the same since he lost a controversial split decision to Robbie Lawler for the UFC Welterweight Championship in one of the greatest fights ever that many thought he won. That was a fight that needed an immediate rematch. Gutted it didn't happen.

Yeah, it sucks, he's one of my favorite fighters of all time.  

Can we talk about how terrible a card they put together for that Washington DC show?  I live in the DC area and have plenty of friends who are into MMA, none of us have any interest in going to this show.  I have a friend who asks me when we're going to a UFC even multiple times a year, and I haven't heard a peep.  It sucks because they give us this bullshit, and then are going to blame us for not buying tickets when they never come back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, it sucks, he's one of my favorite fighters of all time.  

Can we talk about how terrible a card they put together for that Washington DC show?  I live in the DC area and have plenty of friends who are into MMA, none of us have any interest in going to this show.  I have a friend who asks me when we're going to a UFC even multiple times a year, and I haven't heard a peep.  It sucks because they give us this bullshit, and then are going to blame us for not buying tickets when they never come back.

It's a solid but not spectacular card. There is always at least one card during the holiday season where most fighters try to avoid because they don't want to train to spend time with their family or just want to take off in general to recharge. This one just happens to be it. It also sucks about the situation with Walt Harris. You certainly can't predict awful shit like that happening. Also, Claudia Gadelha taking a fight when she was injured and wasn't fully healed goes back to my point above. Hell, the card in Sao Paulo this week had a ton of cancelled fights which has gotta be the most for this year and probably in a few years that I can recall. So it's definitely that time of year for the UFC.

42 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It's a solid but not spectacular card. There is always at least one card during the holiday season where most fighters try to avoid because they don't want to train to spend time with their family or just want to take off in general to recharge. This one just happens to be it. It also sucks about the situation with Walt Harris. You certainly can't predict awful shit like that happening. Also, Claudia Gadelha taking a fight when she was injured and wasn't fully healed goes back to my point above. Hell, the card in Sao Paulo this week had a ton of cancelled fights which has gotta be the most for this year and probably in a few years that I can recall. So it's definitely that time of year for the UFC.

This card was OK at best when Walt Harris and Carlos Condit were on it.  I think the real problem is that DC is a city where you can have UFC show fun for far less money than a UFC ticket.  So if the show isn't very good, no one is going to want to go, when you could literally do anything else.

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This card was OK at best when Walt Harris and Carlos Condit were on it.  I think the real problem is that DC is a city where you can have UFC show fun for far less money than a UFC ticket.  So if the show isn't very good, no one is going to want to go, when you could literally do anything else.

I dunno if I'm amped to see Condit in 2019 going into 2020. He's living off his name from years past. Even with Ben Rothwell on the main card, that was probably the worst fight on the main card if you consider how terrible Condit has looked. Rozenstruik moving into Walt's place is probably a step forward rather than a lateral move.

On the subject of controversial decisions, who's been the beneficiary of them the most?

I'm thinking it's Benson Henderson. Two split decision wins over Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez. Bendo won a split decision over Frankie Edgar in their second fight, terrible judging. Edgar dropped down from Lightweight to Featherweight as a result. I thought Cerrone beat Bendo in their first WEC fight, haven't seen it in years.

Robbie Lawler's two controversial wins by split decision were vs. Johny Hendricks in the second fight and against Carlos Condit. Condit definitely won that fight. 

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

On the subject of controversial decisions, who's been the beneficiary of them the most? I'm thinking it's Benson Henderson. Two split decision wins over Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez that could've gone to them. Bendo won a split decision over Frankie Edgar in their second fight, terrible judging. Edgar was robbed. Edgar dropped down from Lightweight to Featherweight as a result. At the time, I thought Cerrone beat Bendo in their first WEC fight.

Robbie Lawler's two controversial wins by split decision were vs. Johny Hendricks in the second fight and against Carlos Condit. Condit definitely won that fight. 

I wouldn't call any of Lawler's fights during that time robberies. I don't recall being pissed at any of those decisions.

With Benson, I think he spent so much time fucking with his hair and doing the absolute bare minimum in a round that if his opponent did anything, you can argue that Benson lost that round. He could have a dominant performance like he did against Nate or he just does very little like he did against Josh Thomson. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

On the subject of controversial decisions, who's been the beneficiary of them the most?

I'm thinking it's Benson Henderson. Two split decision wins over Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez. Bendo won a split decision over Frankie Edgar in their second fight, terrible judging. Edgar dropped down from Lightweight to Featherweight as a result. I thought Cerrone beat Bendo in their first WEC fight, haven't seen it in years.

Leonard Garcia...case closed.  

• Like 1

Just looked over the DC card and it is very solid. Lots of good fighters on it, some old school guys in there too. I like it. I don't think I'd pay their prices to see it as I skipped the Cerrone/Gaethje fight due to the very high ticket price, but it's a good TV card.

How often does UFC have two week breaks like what's following tomorrow's card?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Just looked over the DC card and it is very solid. Lots of good fighters on it, some old school guys in there too. I like it. I don't think I'd pay their prices to see it as I skipped the Cerrone/Gaethje fight due to the very high ticket price, but it's a good TV card.

How often does UFC have two week breaks like what's following tomorrow's card?

There would be like 2 or 3 of those in the Fox days even when they were adding more cards. It would probably be only one week if Thanksgiving wasn't the very next week.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

@Setsuna, anything worth watching from the smaller One shows since the last big Tokyo boy? I saw their show today was titled AGE OF DRAGONS. Cooooool!

Two good kickboxing title fights, including one of the best heavyweight kickboxers in the world, Roman Kryklia.

• Thanks 1