DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I like the art deco look. December is always the best time of the year for MMA. I'm excited for it and we are getting Verhoeven vs. Hari 2 as well on the 21st.

They've been building this for years. I am hyper casual regarding kickboxing but I am all in on this.

We've got KSW earlier in the month (Dec 7th) with Mamed Khalidov returning to fight... SCOTT ASKHAM (who looks 50 but is 31!). Rizin is doing their annual NYE show and it has some good title fights lined up. Bellator is running Japan for the first time on the 29th with Chandler vs. Henderson and RAMPAGE VS. FEDOR as well as a 3 fight series of Bellator vs Rizin. They are also running Macfarlane in Hawaii on the 21st. Ortega vs. Korean Zombie in South Korea on the 21st as well. I mean, the 21st alone! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I hope Askren gives it at least one more shot. I don't think he's shot himself. He got caught with a deadly knee and was choked out by a legendary BJJ MMA fighter. No shame in that. 

I would like Ben Askern to at least have another go. Askren was the recipient of an all time Knockout and getting put to sleep by a practitioner with amazing BJJ.

When they say star, do they mean "Be in the movie" or "Play Mark Kerr in the movie"? Because he's kind of old to be playing a guy in his twenties like Kerr was (at his fighting peak). And a bit too physically large, as well.

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

When they say star, do they mean "Be in the movie" or "Play Mark Kerr in the movie"? 

From the MMAFighting article above:

Johnson will play Kerr in the movie about his life, and the former UFC and PRIDE fighter will consult on the film during production.

From Junkie

Mark and I were training kinda in the same circles at that time, out on the West Coast in L.A. So, yes, it’s a dramatic role, but Mark lived a dramatic life and again, it’s an opportunity to shine the light on one of our warriors who not only deserves it, and also has this universal appeal and universal story.

“This guy was a beast, and he was dominant, and there was only one like him at that time. When you think about these fighters, these warriors, there’s no other sport like MMA, with the multiple disciplines, and the pressure and the fact that you put your life on the line, literally, every time you step in the cage, step in an octagon, step in a ring. So Mark’s story is one of those stories that I want to tell. And when you think about these warriors, they speak a different language and if you dig a little deeper, the physicality that they have, there’s a real character of depth to a lot of these warriors, and Mark is one of them, and I’m really excited about it.”

Johnson said that Kerr would be a part of the project moving forward, and that he has built up a bond with the early UFC star as they’ve discussed the project and Kerr’s story. Now the man who is known for playing light-hearted, action-movie roles is ready for the first hard-hitting character role of his acting career, and he couldn’t be prouder.

“I talked with Mark today, and Mark is a special dude and is really overwhelmed that this is happening, and I love that he trusts me with his life and with his story,” Johnson said. “I told him I was going to come and make the announcement to our MMA world and the fans, and he said something pretty cool. He said: ‘Well, tell everyone that I love them,’ but he also said ‘I don’t have the language to express how just how grateful I am that you’re sharing this story.’ So I thought that was really cool and beautiful, and I can’t wait.”

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Because he's kind of old to be playing a guy in his twenties like Kerr was (at his fighting peak). And a bit too physically large, as well.

I don't think that matters one bit especially considering 1) if they wanted to, they can find a way to de-age someone now and 2) Dwayne's physique is much closer to Kerr on PEDs than some other guys in Hollywood who would need several months to get in that type of shape. Plus, since it's his baby, the production is at his behest. He is the guy who is going to be shopping this film to the studios and I guarantee you they will take if he is the one starring in so he can have a big dramatic role for awards season. I think he learned from Fighting with My Family that's it either all or nothing. The real question is when is he going to find time to do it. They probably don't have a script or director yet. By the time that gets all squared away, he will have probably committed to four or five other big projects. I don't see a very fast turnaround on this. However, if this goes to Universal, Sony, or WB (studios he frequently collaborates with) and get some Chinese money from Alibaba Pictures or Tencent behind it, it might get done a little quicker. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Why Millender tho? Easy signing for Bellator.

I see Millender probably winding up in PFL or at the very least back in LFA. He probably could be on a Bellator card when they're at Pechanga or at the Forum, but Bellator doesn't make it a priority to pick up lower profile UFC talent anymore. It's usually guys who at one point were ranked or did something notable. They will get a Sam Sicilia or Sabah Homasi every now and then, but their prelims are still littered with regional guys. Their prelims could easily be UFC castaway fodder, but they actively choose not to do that. So it's 50/50 at best that he lands with Bellator.

With Millender, he was probably one of those guys who just lost at the exact wrong time in the wrong division to do so. The UFC is not starved for talent at welterweight, and his upside isn't that high where you have to stash him away. If he isn't signed to a long term contract somewhere else and wins some fights in the interim, there is a good chance he will be back.

Horie probably deserved another chance, but at the same time if they looking to cut dead weight, some of the country specific talent is going to be expendable. If he didn't piss them off by turning down fights or whatever chaps their hide at the moment, the primary reason he likely got cut is they're not going back to Japan anytime in the near future. That or he wasn't going to be ready to fight on the card coming up in Busan or the card in Shenzhen months back. Either way, he was still very expendable.