DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Either way, I don't see how it played into negotiations. It could have done an average of a million viewers in the afternoon. It doesn't change the fact that Usman vs. Covington is a great fight, but not a particularly big fight you would spend dollars on. I think the UFC felt more comfortable and confident with plan B (Nate Diaz vs. Gamebred). Matter of fact, I think the gate for the show in Newark was probably more a factor than the TV rating. Colby fought in Newark where they haven't been back to since New York lifted the ban on pro MMA. The gate was pretty weak for a card in the New York market. If he isn't a draw in Newark, the Garden is going to be a tough task. With the other fight, they know damn well it's going to sell out or at least do very respectable business.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Colby called Leon Edwars "Leon Scott" during his PR airing-or-grievances bit.

This is the first image that comes up on google for "Leon Scott". The only images of a "Leon Scott" are of this man (and noteworthy French printer/inventor of the first recorded sound device Edouardt-Leon Scott de Martinville)..

I'm gonna go ahead and call this NWS

Spoiler

UAJf8SBa_400x400.jpg

I mean

?

Is there another Leon Scott I'm missing out on?

Edited by John E. Dynamite

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Colby called Leon Edwars "Leon Scott" during his PR airing-or-grievances bit.

This is the first image that comes up on google for "Leon Scott". The only images of a "Leon Scott" are of this man (and noteworthy French printer/inventor of the first recorded sound device Edouardt-Leon Scott de Martinville)..

I'm gonna go ahead and call this NWS

Reveal hidden contents

UAJf8SBa_400x400.jpg

I mean

?

Is there another Leon Scott I'm missing out on?

I wouldn't put this much thought into it.

See Ken Shamrock's new Valor Fights promotion? He's said it's Bare Knuckle Fighting. Does that mean Bare Knuckle Boxing, or Bare Knuckle MMA? Because the latter sounds a lot more interesting.

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

See Ken Shamrock's new Valor Fights promotion? He's said it's Bare Knuckle Fighting. Does that mean Bare Knuckle Boxing, or Bare Knuckle MMA? Because the latter sounds a lot more interesting.

It's boxing because I see Ishe Smith is on the card, and Ishe Smith is a recently retired boxer and was a titlist not too long ago.

This is magical.

“It was hard for me, but I understand it,” Shamrock told FanBuzz. “I understand the process. I understand how things are, and so I need to move past that and do something that I can help other people achieve their dreams and their goals. That’s really where I’m at right now.”

Life has a beautiful way of working out, though. When one door quietly closed, another opened wide for the UFC Hall of Fame fighter and former WWE superstar. Much like any fighter would, Shamrock waited for the right time to strike and, from the sounds of it, he found gold.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, that's the opposite of giving the hometown hero an easy win.

I think it's interesting that UFC is more focused now on hometown fights (well besides something like Cowboy vs. Gaethje where you have a guy from Colorado and someone who lives in Colorado now fighting in Vancouver) than recent past. Maybe it's the scheduling. For instance, Zabit vs. Calvin Kattar went from being in Calvin's hometown (Boston) to all the way across the world much closer to where Zabit is from (Moscow). Either way, it's not an easy fight on paper for anyone. On paper, the same went goes or Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens in Mexico City.

As a one-off gimmick, BMF belt thing is fine. Don't take it too seriously. It's for the fans and to drive up promotion and interest for the fight. If they did the gimmick on a regular basis it'd be bad. If they do this just this one time, I'm on board with it.

Pride FC, which old school fans worship, gave the winners trophies. 

IMHO UFC giving out interim belts like candy only to turn around and strip those same interim champions is far worse. Or champions winning belts and then not defending them.

Edited by TheVileOne