DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Lightweight's my favourite weight class in MMA, has for years.

In a perfect world MMA would be 185 and below, and 155 would be the champion everyone decided was the money division.  

• Like 1

You know, I want to like ONE, but it feels I’m watching an Asylum DTV version of Pride, with a Joe Rogan knockoff on commentary. Honestly I’m okay with the Lenne Hardt rip-off at this point since we’ve been subjected to a lot of rip-offs of Lenne over the years. I just am not ready for a Joe Rogan rip-off, since I can’t stand the real one.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You know, I want to like ONE, but it feels I’m watching an Asylum DTV version of Pride, with a Joe Rogan knockoff on commentary. Honestly I’m okay with the Lenne Hardt rip-off at this point since we’ve been subjected to a lot of rip-offs of Lenne over the years. I just am not ready for a Joe Rogan rip-off, since I can’t stand the real one.

Mitch Chilson? 

Besides Brian Stann and some of the current/former fighters UFC has rotated in and out, there hasn't been any good or even decent color commentators. I find Jimmy Smith tolerable even if he's cut from the Rogan mold as well. However, during the Bjorn Rebney era of Bellator when Sean Wheelock and Smith were creepily ogling at Christy Mack seated cageside and Jimmy lustily saying "hur hur I think we've all seen her work", I started my ritual of having most Bellator shows on mute while I'm doing something else. With Mike Goldberg, Chael, Jay Glazer, and Josh Thomson now a part of Bellator's on air crew, I've proudly continued that tradition to this day.

I'm not a Rogan fan, but hey, it could be people trying to be Bas Rutten which would be even worse.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, twiztor said:

an unconventional build to Penn vs McGregor?  (god i hope not)

BJ Penn is getting laid out in random bar fights by non-fighters. Fighting Conor McGregor, who has his own laundry list of issues, is not in his future.

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

What the hell did Mikey Gall do to deserve this?  

Like to think Carlos Condit wins but he's dropped five in a row and hasn't won a fight since May 2015. Condit losing the split decision war to Robbie Lawler in January 2016 has done him in, he really should've got the nod. Fighter mileage as well.

Edited by The Natural

44 minutes ago, supremebve said:

What the hell did Mikey Gall do to deserve this?  

Carlos Condit hasn't had a win in the Reebok uniform/USADA testing era.

In the Touahri fight, Gall looked improved. He still has ALOT to work on, but he is improving enough that he probably would beat a very faded Carlos Condit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Carlos Condit hasn't had a win in the Reebok uniform/USADA testing era.

In the Touahri fight, Gall looked improved. He still has ALOT to work on, but he is improving enough that he probably would beat a very faded Carlos Condit.

Same things I said, we're in agreement.

Robbie Lawler getting the nod over Carlos Condit and Benson Henderson in the second fight with Frankie Edgar baffle me. Lawler/Condit was close even though I disagree with the split decision.

I can't say that about Henderson/Edgar 2, a robbery. 49-46 to the Answer. That decision had ramifications for both more so Edgar as had he won, he would have stayed longer in the Lightweight division.

Edited by The Natural

Carlos Condit is washed, we all know it, but I don't think he's lose to Mikey Gall washed.  I think Condit should have probably retired after the Lawler fight, but he definitely needs to call it quits if he loses this one.  It's sad, because Carlos Condit is one of my favorite fighters of all time.  

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Carlos Condit is washed, we all know it, but I don't think he's lose to Mikey Gall washed.  I think Condit should have probably retired after the Lawler fight, but he definitely needs to call it quits if he loses this one.  It's sad, because Carlos Condit is one of my favorite fighters of all time.  

I agree. It's hard for me to pick Mickey Gall after he lost to Diego Sanchez.