DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

not that i'm complaining, but i thought Covington was getting the next title shot.  did something happen to that fight?

Apparently, Usman isn't ready to go yet. He is targeting the November PPV at MSG for his return. So I'm assuming if Robbie beats Colby and Askren beats Masvidal, it will be Ben challenging Kamaru. If Ben loses next Saturday, it will be Colby's shot to lose. But if both lose, all hell has truly broken lose and we could end up with the winner of Pettis vs. Diaz challenging Kamaru because why the fuck not at that point? You would have three guys in Gamebred, Lawler, and the Pettis/Diaz winner who legit have some weird claim to being the number 1 contender.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Jose Aldo vs. Korean Zombie II as the next fight for both?

It would up to the UFC and Aldo really because looking at the article, it was signed before UFC 237. I dunno if Aldo still has a plan of fighting exclusively in Brazil. The next card in Brazil unless plans change regarding the remaining PPV dates in the interim (243 on 10/5 could be in Vegas or Australia and 244 on 11/2 is likely MSG) is on November 16 in Sao Paulo. If I was the UFC, I would want Korean Zombie back as soon as possible. That card is still just under five months away. It would be the natural main event, but you could easily put that on the card in Abu Dhabi since that card doesn't have a real co-main. They don't have another ESPN card after the Newark card until 12/7, but they do have a ESPN2 card on 10/18. I think that would be an awesome fight for TV. Another part of that is do you want Aldo to fight a real contender? After so many stops and starts due to injury and mandatory military service for CSJ, maybe they put CSJ in there with a Calvin Kattar where it's kinda medium risk, medium reward but you end up with a great fight either way. Plus, Kattar is someone they might be high on after destroying Lamas (they put him and Font over sitting in crowd during the Greenville show). With Aldo, they might not be doing a retirement tour with him signing for more fights but why let him pick off contenders? He isn't fighting for the title as long as Max is champ. Aldo vs. Yair Rodriguez would be a great main event for Mexico City in 9/21. It seems like Yair is healthy and ready to come back.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

8 fight deal for Jose Aldo. Jesus Christ. At least he isn't as shot as BJ Penn, but damn, he probably wins what, 4 out of those 8 matches? Maybe 5?

Hard to say without knowing the matchups. Alex Volkanovski is really, really good. Max Holloway is a great fighter. You should start being concerned when he isn't being competitive with those guys anymore.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

8 fight deal for Jose Aldo. Jesus Christ. At least he isn't as shot as BJ Penn, but damn, he probably wins what, 4 out of those 8 matches? Maybe 5?

He's at worse the 5th best featherweight in the world right now.  Unless he's fighting Max Holloway, I think he has a chance to win against anyone else in the division.  He lost to Volkanovski, but he wasn't hurt or embarrassed.  Frankie Edgar is fighting for the title next, and I'd take Aldo over him until the end of time.  Keep him away from Holloway, Magomedsharipov, and Brian Ortega and he'd probably win at least 6 of 8.  Let Mirsad Bektic and Shane Burgos prove themselves against the long time champion before making their way into the top 5.  I honestly don't think there is anyone else on the roster he doesn't either pick apart for 3-5 rounds or knock out.  Featherweight is really top heavy, he'd be in much more trouble at bantamweight or lightweight.  

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

He's at worse the 5th best featherweight in the world right now.  Unless he's fighting Max Holloway, I think he has a chance to win against anyone else in the division.  He lost to Volkanovski, but he wasn't hurt or embarrassed.  Frankie Edgar is fighting for the title next, and I'd take Aldo over him until the end of time.  Keep him away from Holloway, Magomedsharipov, and Brian Ortega and he'd probably win at least 6 of 8.  Let Mirsad Bektic and Shane Burgos prove themselves against the long time champion before making their way into the top 5.  I honestly don't think there is anyone else on the roster he doesn't either pick apart for 3-5 rounds or knock out.  Featherweight is really top heavy, he'd be in much more trouble at bantamweight or lightweight.  

I think he might end up fighting guys like Bektic, Burgos, and Kattar. I mean Kattar already beat the brakes off Lamas in Chicago and Swanson has slid just enough that beating him isn't all that impressive. If Bektic beats Emmett in a couple weeks, where do you go with him? Jeremy Stephens is one of the last of the old guard at 145 who never fought for a belt or was champ at some point and he himself on a 2 fight skid. I mean if Aldo isn't fighting for belt, there is no real reason to protect if he is fighting guys who potentially beat him like Volkanovski and get that name on their resume. Aldo beating Moicano says more about him still being good enough to sort contenders from pretenders. So why not continue that if he plans to fight out the rest of his deal? Let him be that guy. Now once he starts to decline rapidly, I think it would be time like what happens with every fighter to let him make that decision to finally retire. A tier below those three guys I mentioned is Dan Ige, Sodiq Yusuff, and Arnold Allen who are solid prospects but definitely shouldn't be beating someone like Jose Aldo. Once he starts losing to those guys and they hadn't moved to showing their real contenders yet, then we will know he is someone who isn't a top ten fighter anymore.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think he might end up fighting guys like Bektic, Burgos, and Kattar. I mean Kattar already beat the brakes off Lamas in Chicago and Swanson has slid just enough that beating him isn't all that impressive. If Bektic beats Emmett in a couple weeks, where do you go with him? Jeremy Stephens is one of the last of the old guard at 145 who never fought for a belt or was champ at some point and he himself on a 2 fight skid. I mean if Aldo isn't fighting for belt, there is no real reason to protect if he is fighting guys who potentially beat him like Volkanovski and get that name on their resume. Aldo beating Moicano says more about him still being good enough to sort contenders from pretenders. So why not continue that if he plans to fight out the rest of his deal? Let him be that guy. Now once he starts to decline rapidly, I think it would be time like what happens with every fighter to let him make that decision to finally retire. A tier below those three guys I mentioned is Dan Ige, Sodiq Yusuff, and Arnold Allen who are solid prospects but definitely shouldn't be beating someone like Jose Aldo. Once he starts losing to those guys and they hadn't moved to showing their real contenders yet, then we will know he is someone who isn't a top ten fighter anymore.

Yeah, I think Craig is being pretty premature in writing Aldo's obituary. I'm thinking he's still top five in the world, at best, maybe third, at worst fifth. That's a long, long way from BJ Penn territory. I think Aldo is pretty much THE gatekeeper that sorts the contenders from pretenders. Beat him, you've made a compelling argument for a title shot. Lose to him, you're simply not ready for the big one yet. How long he can hold that position is anyone's guess when you're talking about a sport in which one wrong move can end a career, but Aldo seems to be a pretty savvy fighter, knows what he can do and more importantly, what he can't do and as long as he stays in his lane I could easily see a 7-win out of 8 fights as an overall result. I'm thinking that by the time we get to number eight, we're talking three to four years of wear and tear from training as well as possible poundings in close fights and that ol' debbil age that catches us all. But again, he so far removed from BJ Penn territory that it's ridiculous to mention them in the same breath. BJ is a shot fighter with too much money and too much time on his hands and nothing constructive to do with either. He'll be wandering around Hawaii getting booked into ridiculous fights when he's sixty simply because he has nothing else to do. The man needs to start collecting baseball cards or mounting butterflies or something, he needs a hobby in the worst way and MMA isn't it.

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, Usman isn't ready to go yet. He is targeting the November PPV at MSG for his return. So I'm assuming if Robbie beats Colby and Askren beats Masvidal, it will be Ben challenging Kamaru. If Ben loses next Saturday, it will be Colby's shot to lose. But if both lose, all hell has truly broken lose and we could end up with the winner of Pettis vs. Diaz challenging Kamaru because why the fuck not at that point? You would have three guys in Gamebred, Lawler, and the Pettis/Diaz winner who legit have some weird claim to being the number 1 contender.

This makes Colby Covington look like a bigger idiot who sat out for over a year for no reason.

Say your prayers for Liz Carmouche.

Edited by TheVileOne

Anything to read into Cain Velazquez working a 6 man tag at Triple Mania? Dana or whoever would have to sign off on it, so I wonder if this is another sign Cain is done.

Just now, Craig H said:

Anything to read into Cain Velazquez working a 6 man tag at Triple Mania? Dana or whoever would have to sign off on it, so I wonder if this is another sign Cain is done.

That was something being talked about months ago. So I'm safely assuming they already signed off on it so he can prepare.

25 minutes ago, The Natural said:

John Lineker released from the UFC.

A little surprised. At the same time, he's lucky the UFC didn't cut him after missing weight five times in his UFC career. 

I always thought Lineker was good but he was never able to cross that threshold and make it to the title contender level.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I don't think this is really disciplinary. Lineker and his team wanted him out of the UFC. He says they were not booking him enough, he has a big family to feed, he is working a part time job, etc etc.. They put him against Font as a late replacement for Cody Stamann on the UFC Greenville show, he got a cut on his face while sparring during his weight cut, and had to pull out of that fight. The UFC probably figured he would be better served elsewhere.