DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

23 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Who is that?

Eddie Hearn, promoter of Matchroom Boxing in England and for the last couple years, Matchroom Boxing USA. He promotes Anthony Joshua among others (including but certainly not limited to: Dillian Whyte, Devin Haney, Oleksandr Usyk, Artur Beterbiev, Katie Taylor, Tevin Farmer, Kell Brook, Amir Khan, Danny Jacobs, Dmitry Bivol, Jessie Vargas, Lawrence Okolie, Daniel Roman, Callum Smith, Demetrius Andrade, Callum Johnson, Amanda Serrano, co-promotes Maurice Hooker w/Roc Nation, Kal Yafai)  and is the co-promoter of Canelo/Jacobs this Saturday which is likely the reason he is at the UFC PI in Vegas. In addition, because his stable is so large, he pretty much runs the boxing side of DAZN unofficially. 

With that said, it seems to me that if Zuffa Boxing becomes a thing like Dana was talking about for later this year, DAZN is not off list for a potential landing spot even though Hearn blew off Dana trying to "steal" (there was 1% of that happening anyway) Joshua away from him and UFC just signing a mega deal with ESPN. Bob Arum isn't going to let Dana encroach on Top Rank's deal with ESPN. The best possible solution? Get in bed with his enemy. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

What's funny is Crawford/Khan sold 10k and needed a decent walkup to get to 14k at MSG, but the AJ fight for June at the Garden reportedly sold 17k the same day the news of Big Baby failing a VADA test came out.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Did they try to find the absolute worst picture of DC they could find?

Considering how he was with the bad back, that isn't exactly worst picture they could find. Also, based on the bodies of some other UFC heavyweights (imo I wouldn't even limit it to just heavyweights), Cormier ain't that bad even at his worst.

10 minutes ago, twiztor said:

so what's up with ufc 240? Haven't heard any announcements and it's not listed on wikipedia

If McGregor vs. Cerrone ever actually comes to fruition, it would be that show. Hence, why there hasn't been anything announced yet.

BTW Borrachinha vs. Romero is now official.

37 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Here's a fun scenario I recently discussed with a stranger at a bar:

What if the flying knee Anderson Silva landed on Michael Bisping had resulted in a stoppage?

That fight should have been stopped, but that's not even the most egregious of the non-stoppages at middleweight.  I'm pretty sure Yoel Romero knocked Robert Whitaker out cold in the fifth round of their second fight.  He's barely clinging to Romero's leg, and he doesn't move for about 30 seconds.  He's absolutely done and the ref just lets it go, he doesn't try to move, he doesn't defend himself, he doesn't even show signs of life.

33 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That fight should have been stopped, but that's not even the most egregious of the non-stoppages at middleweight.  I'm pretty sure Yoel Romero knocked Robert Whitaker out cold in the fifth round of their second fight.  He's barely clinging to Romero's leg, and he doesn't move for about 30 seconds.  He's absolutely done and the ref just lets it go, he doesn't try to move, he doesn't defend himself, he doesn't even show signs of life.

Silva-Franklin II at the end of round 1. Matt Hume had to carry the corpse of Rich Franklin back to the corner.