DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

23 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Now I like that fight a lot. Grappling will probably be the difference maker.

It's interesting that this fight is on ESPN and not like a PPV opener or second from the top because the UFC loves to have Waterson in that spot. I guess they feel that Waterson may be better utilized on TV like the PVZ fight that did a good rating than on PPV.

Re: UFC 237. According to Globo, that is a good chance it takes place at Arena da Baixada. That's pretty big faith for Jessica Andrade's drawing ability. Maybe there is a chance the ex Chute Boxe folks like Shogun and Cyborg will reprise their roles from UFC 198.

Some time back, I made a comment about Brazilian MMA being so hard to find in terms of footage on Youtube and this explains why and more...

In short: The MMA bubble burst in Brazil after the UFC had some successful events and the death of Leandro Souza forced CABMMA's hand, the promoters weren't ready at all, and now regional MMA in Brazil is going back to a dark period. This also explains why so many Brazilian fighters are going over to Russia just to get murked. I remember when NY state was on the verge of legalizing pro MMA and Lou Neglia made similar complaints that all these guys are making about CABMMA. Neglia was ready to host his events in New York after promoting for several years out of New Jersey and the legalization of pro MMA in New York based on New York's standards would make it cost prohibitive to run Ring of Combat events there. I think what happened in Brazil was the promoters being too reliant on sponsors when it was clear there was a window that was eventually going to close, regardless of Combate following CABMMA or the Reebok deal. You're betting that the UFC can keep folks like Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort and the like from a previous era relevant enough when it was extremely obvious even five years ago, they were way closer to the end of their career than the beginning. UFC 134 was a watershed moment for Brazilian MMA and UFC 142 was suppose to be the start of a new era. However, I don't think the people who consumed UFC at that moment where going to be the same people that kept the Brazilian MMA bulb at the regional level bright. The top fighters from 2007 to 2012 got to be celebrities and everyone else were just MMA fighters who happened to be good. So if the latter didn't become the former before that window closed, there would be nothing to keep people excited. From that, sponsors would gradually disappear and so would the TV coverage. Now that the UFC is exploring other parts of South America, it has put the onus on the Brazilian promoters to be accountable. I think people see through facade of the record building, therefore, forcing them to develop and cultivate actual talent and not just fighters who train under them. I see it getting worse before it gets better.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The UFC is working on Edson Barboza vs. Justin Gaethje and Anthony Pettis moving to 170 to fight Wonderboy Thompson for the 3/23 card in Nashville.

Okamoto just tweeted that Barboza vs. Gaethje would be on the Philly card the week after.

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Seems like a bad fight for Barboza. Gaethje is the most pressure fighter of all pressure fighters and that's what Edson has always struggled with. 

Except he's a pressure fighter who eats a shitload of shots, which isn't how you beat Edson Barboza.  I actually think this is the right fight for both guys.  I think both guys have clear paths to victory in this fight, but both could end up unconscious.  

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I've argued for a long while that Gaethje's porous defence is what will stop him from being a great LW but he's yet to use much of his wrestling. I wonder if he will try to take some shots to get in either a clinch or go for a takedown. His footwork is also pretty poor for a pressure fighter so he may not be able to get inside until it's too late. But his pressure is unrelenting, so it'll be fun to watch that one play out. 

Jose Aldo has said he's retiring after his current contract ends, and he's got three fights left on it. So he doesn't want a title shot, because winning the belt back would trigger an extension.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

According to Combate, UFC will return to Miami on 4/27 (which would be UFC on ESPN 3) and Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Borrachinha is being targeted.

Now that's a fight that I may have to drive 3 hours for...

40 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Now that's a fight that I may have to drive 3 hours for...

Kind of curious how the UFC's expansion in South America outside of Brazil goes. There's virtually no athletic commissions there and a bunch of the fighters are really underdeveloped as their training facilities aren't that great. There was this one organization called Amazon FC in Peru. I spoke with the promoter for a while when I was covering South American MMA on Tapology. He was a really cool dude always looking to get their events as much exposure as possible. Their events were on open mats. No cage. No ring. Nothing. Just mats. Some of their fighters fought on the bigger cards in Peru towards the capital, Lima, but they got steamrolled most of the time. Good times, good times...

I don't ever see the UFC putting those type of fighters on the prelims. I mean Maia vs. Usman had one Chilean national on the card and that was a guy who had been able to stay in the UFC just on inactivity since TUF LATAM season 1. Vicente Luque is half Chilean but he's basically a Brazilian born in the United States. I think because they're not hitting these markets (maybe Argentina can get two shows in a calendar year because they have multiple Argentine fighters) more than once in a blue moon, they can put 1 or 2 regional fighters on the card and then have everyone else be Brazilian, from another country in close proximity, or just from an entirely different part of the world. I think having the Shevchenko sisters gives you a little flexibility of doing a show in Peru, but they wouldn't be forced put them on the show. It would make all the sense in the world, but they still would do a good number regardless. They can just put Claudio Puelles, Enrique Barzola, and if need be Antonina on there, have a solid main event, and be done with it.

As far as regulation goes, I'm pretty sure they would self regulate if they couldn't get CABMMA to do it. I think the Maia vs. Usman event was self regulated.

Well, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is obviously the on-going McGregor story, he's been asked for and has submitted a DNA sample which doesn't mean anything in context as the story being told is that it was consensual, supposedly there are things in the police report that refute that, but I haven't seen a police report as of yet. So has this thing been debunked?