DVDVR Message Board

2019 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

This is sort of a continuation of something I said in the UFC 232 thread: Bryan Alvarez has been watching MMA for as long as anyone on this board. How in the flying fuck does he not know who Brandon Gibson is let alone confuse Jon Jones saying his name with his fucking grandma? That dude is a goddamn douche.

Reason #14,516 of why not to listen to anything Alvarez has to say on MMA.

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That didn't last long. Does this mean Rogan's sticking around?

I think it's just too many folks now that they have fighters they trust to do commentary. It's been confirmed that Felder, Cruz, Hardy, and Cormier are on the team along with Bisping.

I was checking earlier if Fitzgerald and Gooden were coming back. It seems like Fitzgerald is coming back based on a tweet I saw that hinted he was coming back. So I'm guessing that besides like some of the ancillary figures from Fox that did UFC Tonight and the weigh-ins, everything is staying the same except they are swapping out Smith with Bisping.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That's an upgrade. At least Bisping will put himself out there unlike Smith who is bland as all hell 99% of the time.

I don't mind Smith too much because he's basically a more up-to-date Rogan in terms of keeping up with who is who and being able to reference more recent examples of something without certains quirks. So if I don't like Smith, I would have to hate Joe Rogan something fierce. I can tune out Rogan when I need to so Smith doesn't really bother me.

I think the problem with him being on Fox is they stuck Jimmy in the fight fan-as-a-commentator role that Rogan did when he first started with the UFC just until fairly recent as in like the last 2 or 3 years. If you're watching other sports or non niche sports, it's so antiquated now. Whenever I would post those previews with Rogan or Jimmy Smith in any of those event threads, it just felt so out of place. You might as well have Jon Anik explain ALL the rules of MMA throughout the show like they did in the SEG days instead breaking down some of the basic stuff right as the show begins along with whether that specific commission uses instant replay and has adopted the new ABC rules. We are fifteen years removed from TUF season 1. I think there are enough fans that don't have to be spoonfed.

So it was hard for to do anything else because Fox themselves or whomever saw him as a Rogan clone and that's what they wanted since Rogan wasn't working anything but PPVs.

34 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think it's just too many folks now that they have fighters they trust to do commentary. It's been confirmed that Felder, Cruz, Hardy, and Cormier are on the team along with Bisping.

I was checking earlier if Fitzgerald and Gooden were coming back. It seems like Fitzgerald is coming back based on a tweet I saw that hinted he was coming back. So I'm guessing that besides like some of the ancillary figures from Fox that did UFC Tonight and the weigh-ins, everything is staying the same except they are swapping out Smith with Bisping.

That I can get behind. Bisping's one of my all time fav fighters and he's always great on the pre/post shows, TUF Talk, etc.

This year I’m most interested in the 145 and 155 pound divisions and where they’re gonna go (as usual). That said, it sucks that there’s such a log jam at 155 and now Dana’s talking about doing Conor/Khabib rematch. It really shouldn’t surprise me, but I just want to see Khabib defend his belt against fresh blood and different styles. Specifically wrestlers. Would love to see Gaethje pick up a few big wins and get there, while he may not be the overall number one contender there’s something I really like about that fight, as we’ve never seen Gaethje get held down. Somehow I see that being a tougher fight for Khabib than Tony or Porier.

Really excited to see Gregor Gillespie’s next fight too, it kinda bums me out that Alexander Hernandez is getting the Cowboy fight at just 2-0 in the UFC vs. Gillespie’s 5-0. Yancy’s a decent name but Gregor’s 31, undefeated and unranked in a lighter division with great credentials and hype, so I’d be booking him with a tiny bit more urgency. Hopefully he dominates his next fight and gets a guy like Kevin Lee after that, dude has been nothing but impressive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

This year I’m most interested in the 145 and 155 pound divisions and where they’re gonna go (as usual). That said, it sucks that there’s such a log jam at 155 and now Dana’s talking about doing Conor/Khabib rematch. It really shouldn’t surprise me, but I just want to see Khabib defend his belt against fresh blood and different styles. Specifically wrestlers. Would love to see Gaethje pick up a few big wins and get there, while he may not be the overall number one contender there’s something I really like about that fight, as we’ve never seen Gaethje get held down. Somehow I see that being a tougher fight for Khabib than Tony or Porier.

Really excited to see Gregor Gillespie’s next fight too, it kinda bums me out that Alexander Hernandez is getting the Cowboy fight at just 2-0 in the UFC vs. Gillespie’s 5-0. Yancy’s a decent name but Gregor’s 31, undefeated and unranked in a lighter division with great credentials and hype, so I’d be booking him with a tiny bit more urgency. Hopefully he dominates his next fight and gets a guy like Kevin Lee after that, dude has been nothing but impressive.

I don't think Conor gets a rematch even though all the money dictates it. The fact that Kavanaugh decided to just walk away tells you all you need to know about Conor at this stage of his career. 

I think Kavanaugh was fine with this circus when Conor was "retiring" from the UFC and all this and still winning (or at least winning until he lost like Diaz I). It ain't so fun when he looks like an average fighter who isn't all there mentally and physically like he did against Khabib. Moreover, the amount of vitriol Conor came into that fight with and then to only lose in embarrassing fashion puts a spotlight on Kavanagh. Fighting Khabib again is only going to amplify that. If the same outcome happens again, it only makes Kavanagh look like a willing participant of the clown show who is also willing to sacrifice his integrity for a fighter who only wants to shill his liquor brand.

Poirier is the best opponent for Conor whether we mean stylisticallyor where Conor is in terms of legitimacy. You want to do the Khabib fight again? You at least have to make it seem like Conor's priority is MMA.

Schaub’s an easy target, there’s plenty of better educated people that agree with him. However you feel I think both sides have an arguement. The first knockdown is one of the most bizarre reactions I’ve seen in a fight in a long time.

50 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

However you feel I think both sides have an arguement. 

No they don't.

Tenshin fought one of the greatest boxers in the history of the sport in a boxing match. He got absolutely destroyed like a person who fought one of the greatest boxers in the history of the sport. Said boxer has a size advantage on him. Said boxer has fought people indefinitely more talented than Tenshin. Tenshin was treated as such. Thus, to say that this fight was fixed is unfathomable. Matter of fact, you would have to be borderline retarded to believe this was indeed staged.

4 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

And Rory MacDonald, Robin Black, etc are borderline retarded. 

If they believe that, yes just like Schaub.

4 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

Okay dude I get you need to convince yourself. 

If you believe that fight was fixed, this ain't the forum for you. You should take that shit elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, twiztor said:

why would they fix the fight AGAINST their biggest star?  definitely an idiotic take.

WHY WOULD FLOYD MAYWEATHER NEED HELP TO BEAT TENSHIN?!?!

If a high school JV player who rides the pine all the time plays LeBron or Kevin Durant 1 on 1, the latter doesn't need to be spotted seven points in a game that goes to 14. I think they have that part covered. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s  just gonna come down to the semantics of the word unfathomable. I never stated I thought it was a work. I think it was real. You guys are preaching to the choir. But if it did come out as fake, I wouldn’t be in disbelief. That is I was saying. Chael/Tito seemed kinda weird watching it but I didn’t think it was a work.

I agree to all those ridiculous why’s. Why would they do this and that. But also, why would New Japan put their biggest star Nagata in Pride after just a few weeks of training and risk everything they built for him? Why would they put Sakuraba in over his head way too many times when there was no chance he can win? There’s been some pretty stupid calls in Japanese fight booking so doing something even more stupid isn’t beyond comprehension to me.

27 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

But if it did come out as fake, I wouldn’t be in disbelief. That is I was saying.

You should be because it's beyond stupid.

But also, why would New Japan put their biggest star Nagata in Pride after just a few weeks of training and risk everything they built for him? 

Yuji Nagata never fought in PRIDE.  Moreover, the reason why Nagata and Nakamura fought in MMA is because Inoki had a hard on for MMA and wanted pro wrestling to seem legit. This has ZERO to do with fight fixing.

There’s been some pretty stupid calls in Japanese fight booking so doing something even more stupid isn’t beyond comprehension to me.

This makes absolutely no sense. Takada or Sakakibara ain't the booker man. Yes, the idea is idiotic and illogical from the get go but the outcome is not. This is simply called cause and effect. Tenshin wanted to fight Floyd. Floyd whooped his ass accordingly. End of discussion.

To quote Rustam Khabilov after his fight with Vinc Pichel..."my job is to throw them...how they land is their business."

Everything Brendan Schaub (or Chael Sonnen) says is a work to get views and make money. Having outrageous, ill-informed opinions about MMA is his job now. And the more outrageous and ill informed they are, the better.

I'll expand on this later(I actually started a post on my home computer), but MMA is full of absurd opinions.  Why would Rizin fix a fight so their up and coming star would be embarrassed?  Honestly, why would they do that?  If you can come up with a valid answer, which you won't be able to, then ask why would they fix a fight against someone who your up and coming fighter was going to lose to any way?  Who gains anything by fixing the fight?  Rizin doesn't get anything, Tenshin doesn't get anything, Floyd took his money and ran as soon as humanly possible...who gains something from fixing the fight?  Floyd is much bigger than Tenshin, much faster, had better technique, and hit harder...and people think somoene spent money to convince Tenshin to take a dive.  I do not understand how people come up with this stuff.