DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2018-19 - Period Two

Dolfan in NYC

Another big comeback for Detroit, this time against Chicago, rallying from 4-1 to force overtime. And, once again, unbelievably terrible defensive play/coverage leads to the winning goal in OT for the other guys. Detroit dominated for the most part, with Cam Ward making several great saves and Detroit hitting several posts. Detroit was also robbed of a couple obvious 5-on-3s, including one where Thomas Vanek was smacked in the face with a stick and busted open - while playing the puck. I'll never understand how refs can literally look right at a play like that - and the ref did see it - and not call a penalty. 

Oh well. Better long term for Detroit to lose anyway. Their top four young guys - Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, & Athanasiou - all played great. If only the team had more than - MAYBE - two NHL-level defensemen. 

Being reported that despite having no intention of trading him at the deadline we are balking at Skinner's ask of $9 million and will only go to $8 million and there is a very real chance we let him walk for nothing over a million dollars (which in cap terms can get you a below average 4th liner). And Phail Housley is coming back. And we have the worst GM in hockey. And an owner who is totaly incompetent. If anyone needs me I will be over in a corner crying uncontrollably.

9 million a year for a guy who has never made it past 63 points, and has finished worse than minus 20 for one third of his career in the NHL?

Any team willing to pay that guy 9 million a season should fire their GM immediately.

3 minutes ago, Dewar said:

9 million a year for a guy who has never made it past 63 points, and has finished worse than minus 20 for one third of his career in the NHL?

Any team willing to pay that guy 9 million a season should fire their GM immediately.

You pretty much lost me when you cited plus/minus as if the stat has any value whatsoever. The only stat in all of sports that is more trash is saves in baseball. And in case you missed it there's this guy named Jack Eichel who he'd be playing with for the next 8 years who is ridiculously better than any center he played for in Raleigh, so I think there's a good chance he'd be productive.

7 minutes ago, Dewar said:

If you choose to have Jeff Skinner take up more of your salary cap than Sidney Crosby, that's not a choice that's going to lead to much success.

Crosby signed a megadeal close to a decade ago that is now very favorable to his team. How does that in any way have anything to do with what a pending UFA with a shot to lead the league in goals is going to get? It's a total non sequitur.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

WELCOME TO EDMONTON, JEFF SKINNER

• Haha 1

Also the West playoffs are looking really weird this year.

San Jose would be the obvious pick but Jones is having a bad year.

Winnipeg is a really good team on paper that just lacks... something in practice. 

Calgary also has goalie issues, and you could question there scoring depth.

Nashville has some holes at forward and an abysmal PP.

Vegas.... Eh? They just don't feel dangerous, which means they probably win the West.

And then there are the Blues who went from completely dead to a borderline playoff lock, who are playing the best defensive game in the conference, but there forwards are beat to shit. 

And thr the rest of the Central teams are fighting for the last 2 playoff spots that the Pacific teams just handed them.

Weird year.

If the Sabres were in the West they are in a playoff spot and have an excellent chance at making the playoffs. Instead we are in the East and our season is effectively over before the last week of February and we get year #8 of no playoffs. Just fuck everything.

I thought San Jose should have gambled on Cam Talbot. I know he hasn't recaptured the magic from the Edmonton playoff year, but man, Jones is fucking bad. 

The thing with Vegas is that if Fleury gets hot in the playoffs again... and, I mean, he's won multiple Cups and is fully capable of doing so... they are still scary enough. I don't see them running as deep but they are not a team anyone is going to be super excited about facing in round one.

In these dark times of Oilers misery while Vancouver is somehow improving and Calgary are not a garbage fire, I take great comfort in Anaheim being absolute, total dogshit. To lose to an Oilers team that had no McDavid and no shots for the first 8 minutes is *chef kisses fingers*.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

I don’t cry, I am Cimmerian after all, but Hank after the OT loss today (great game) breaking down and not able to speak on Zucc leaving had me close.  I hope Zucc is back in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Buffalo with a steal of a trade to get Montour for a late 1st and an eh prospect. They are starting to build a legitimately good top 4 defense now.

Speaking of Zucc, he seems to have broke an arm blocking a shit in his first game in Dallas, so that's not great for them.

I always said it would snow in Vegas before Botts won a trade, and well... I was right!

I accepted that the window is shut so I am already starting my now annual tradition for figuring out which team I will root for to win the Cup because they have the most ex-Rangers.

(This usually translates to Tampa Bay)

Oh and here at the details and the Hayes deal

The New York Rangers have traded center Kevin Hayes to the Winnipeg Jets for a 2019 first-round draft pick, forward Brendan Lemieux and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2022 draft.