DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2018-19 - Period Two

Dolfan in NYC

Ovechkin has announced he is skipping the All Star game for extra rest (the Caps bye week runs into the ASB)

Remember Ovie was named the Metro's captain

No word on what the plan is to replace him

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

This will also likely earn him a one game suspension. 

Yes - he has to either sit out the last game before the break or the first game coming back (per Twitter)

Switching the all-start format to 3-on-3 basically saved the event, but it's also exacerbated the "one rep from every team means deserving players get omitted" issue. Still, on the whole the event is so much better now than it was that it's hard to complain too much.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, Death From Above said:

Switching the all-start format to 3-on-3 basically saved the event, but it's also exacerbated the "one rep from every team means deserving players get omitted" issue. Still, on the whole the event is so much better now than it was that it's hard to complain too much.

It also means the best player from teams sometimes gets passed over in favor of somebody else. Detroit is sending Jimmy Howard, who's been OK, instead of Dylan Larkin who's been, by far, their best player. There simply aren't enough forward slots to take Larkin so Howard goes instead. 

I met Youppi! tonight! We bonded over our shared belief that the Washington Nationals existence is a crime against God, man and nature #bringbacktheexpos

This is random but Alexander Mogilny not being in the HHOF is a total embarrassment and disgrace. Everyone who decides who gets in should be completely ashamed of themselves.

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

This is random but Alexander Mogilny not being in the HHOF is a total embarrassment and disgrace. Everyone who decides who gets in should be completely ashamed of themselves.

Eh, he wasn't quite as great as you remember. 2 50-goal seasons and 473 total. Point a game for his career. I think he belongs but he's not an egregious oversight. 

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Eh, he wasn't quite as great as you remember. 2 50-goal seasons and 473 total. Point a game for his career. I think he belongs but he's not an egregious oversight. 

You can't possibly not be aware of his historical significance to the sport right??? And I will quote my late father who was a rags fan: "Alexander Mogilny is the one player in hockey I would buy a ticket just to see him play".

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

You can't possibly not be aware of his historical significance to the sport right??? And I will quote my late father who was a rags fan: "Alexander Mogilny is the one player in hockey I would buy a ticket just to see him play".

20 hours ago, sabremike said:

Exactly what is that significance? Being the first Russian superstar? Nope. Being the first super fast Russian NHL guy? Nope. Being the first Russian Cup winner? Nope. He definitely gets credit for being the first young Russian to defect but if it hadn't been him, it would have been someone else, like Sergei Fedorov. 

He belongs, he's just not an overwhelming candidate. 

Idiots online ripping the all women studio crew on Isles broadcast (all gold medal winners BTW) because the fact that they are WIMMIN means they are unqualified to talk about the sport make me hate humanity.

Sooooooo Connor McDavid wasn't at the Oilers skills competition today which was basically announced... around the time all the players had been introduced. That was cool.

The rest of the event was enjoyable, but man. Still haven't seen the man live. I still had a good time despite that. 

Mikko Koskinen is a hilariously large human being. Like, seeing him stand up straight by a regulation net is like putting a 12-year old next to one of those 2-foot high mini-stick nets. It's like all those Dark Souls fights where you poke a giant in the ankle until they get bored and just give up.

Only the Sabres would trade an all star center because he said all the losing was causing him to lose his love for the game and get back a guy who literally quit the sport mid season and just publicly said it was because he lost his love for the game.