Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Lawful Metal

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Control said:

If y’all could put 1 or 2 AJPW guys in the G1, who would you pick?

Oh no doubt, Kento Miyahara and ZEUS! If they had to replace someone, I'd say ZEUS replaces Fale, and Miyahara replaces Cobb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It wouldn’t be a horrible idea at this point. All Japan looked like they were turning a corner last year, but instead of continuing to grow an audience, they actually lost some of that audience they gained recently. Continuing to find different avenues you haven’t tried yet, would be the right thing to do to promote your product. So putting Kento, and maybe Jake Lee in could be real good for them. Especially if Kento gives a great performance(Which I expect). Or he could give a supremely disappointing effort similar to Go Shiozaki(Which I don’t expect since Kento is no fucking Go Shiozaki).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thomas Bugg said:

Oh no doubt, Kento Miyahara and ZEUS! If they had to replace someone, I'd say ZEUS replaces Fale, and Miyahara replaces Cobb.

Zeus and Kento were my go-to picks as well, though if I’m applying some logic to this fantasy situation, maybe they don’t wanna send their TC champ. In which case big boy Ishikawa would be an excellent choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It wouldn’t be a horrible idea at this point. All Japan looked like they were turning a corner last year, but instead of continuing to grow an audience, they actually lost some of that audience they gained recently. Continuing to find different avenues you haven’t tried yet, would be the right thing to do to promote your product. So putting Kento, and maybe Jake Lee in could be real good for them. Especially if Kento gives a great performance(Which I expect). Or he could give a supremely disappointing effort similar to Go Shiozaki(Which I don’t expect since Kento is no fucking Go Shiozaki).

I don’t remember too much from the  2010 G1 from Go, but I thought his draw with Nakamura was good and the crowd was really into it if my memory serves me. This board seems to be pretty down on two of my favorites in Go and Goto and I don’t quite get it. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zeus and Yuma.  But in reverse, Yano and Suzuki for CC.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I don’t remember too much from the  2010 G1 from Go, but I thought his draw with Nakamura was good and the crowd was really into it if my memory serves me. This board seems to be pretty down on two of my favorites in Go and Goto and I don’t quite get it. 

 

I thought Go had a lot of potential, but something about him seemed off. It might’ve been NOAH not pushing him hard enough, or his match structure wasn’t set up properly. At the end of the day he never made the fans believe he was “The Ace” of NOAH. Goto did deserve a run with the belt after he got the Samurai pants, I’ll tell you that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Control said:

Zeus and Kento were my go-to picks as well, though if I’m applying some logic to this fantasy situation, maybe they don’t wanna send their TC champ. In which case big boy Ishikawa would be an excellent choice.

I mean, if they agree to send him, then it’s only if they agree that he will be one of the semi-finalists, with a really good record heading into it. Just like Akiyama in 03. I think what will ultimately stop it, is this years G1 looking like being one of the most financially successful G1’s, if these packed arenas are anything to go by. So they no reason to bring in anymore outside  company wrestlers they aren’t directly working with.

Besides the only outsider they should bring in is Hideki F’N Suzuki, and then bring Minoru Suzuki back to put him in the same fucking block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The world needs a new WAR equivalent. Naito should be the actual ungovernable he claims and break off to form a new version of WAR with the returning Hiromu serving as his Ultimo Dragon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 1:54 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

I don’t remember too much from the  2010 G1 from Go, but I thought his draw with Nakamura was good and the crowd was really into it if my memory serves me. This board seems to be pretty down on two of my favorites in Go and Goto and I don’t quite get it. 

 

I don't know what everyone else's deal is with them, but I'm totally a fan of those two. Goto's match against Ishii in the G1 was awesome. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gedo has spoken publicly how he views Goto as more or less resting on his laurels and not wanting to improve. Maybe he was given too much too soon and became content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Gedo has spoken publicly how he views Goto as more or less resting on his laurels and not wanting to improve. Maybe he was given too much too soon and became content. 

I don't know about all that, but Goto has been great in this year's G1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that I'm going to look biased because of my profile pic, but Chase Owens has been busting his ass during this G1. Really he's had a pretty good year period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus he's going to lead the charge alongside Fale into Area 51.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Plus he's going to lead the charge alongside Fale into Area 51.

#stormarea51!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Gedo has spoken publicly how he views Goto as more or less resting on his laurels and not wanting to improve. Maybe he was given too much too soon and became content. 

I imagine it has to do with out of ring stuff vs. in ring because Goto seems to usually deliver good matches. I am also admittedly kind of a “moves” guy and  a fan of guys with interesting or unique move sets and Goto has moves I stylistically really like. Same with Go. The Go Flasher and the GTR incorporating a lariat into another move are awesome stylistically and fit in with their existing styles. I like that kind of consistency of style. 

Goto is pretty creative. I think this G1 he did a reverse GTR and one from his normal Ushigoroshi where he added the lariat. Was awesome. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, as down on Goto as I am generally, he has one of the coolest movesets out there. I adore the Goto Shiki (busted it out this G1!) and the Shouten is one of the coolest nonsense moves in wrestling. He definitely does strike me as somebody who is a bit complacent or comfortable to be in the midcard, have his good matches, get paid, go home. It's probably his complete and utter lack of charisma really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, maybe its just stuff I missed when I wasn't watching, but Gedo's claim ring as bs to me to excuse the reality that he basically pushed Okada and others over Goto during the time frame when Goto probably should have become champ even if only once with a short reign. Now his time is past, and there isn't much to be done about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Plus he's going to lead the charge alongside Fale into Area 51.

 

7 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

#stormarea51!!!

I'd rather stay with Yujiro and the ladies. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking out DDT's Idol Street Fight 2019 and my favourite part so far is one of the media members is wearing a RINGS Funaki v Volk Han 2012 shirt in the midst of idols and Danshoku Dino. Wrestling is great. I didn't even know that was a thing as I was barely rekindling my love of wrestling period at that time but apparently allz we gots from it is a 90 second highlight package? 😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I don't know, maybe its just stuff I missed when I wasn't watching, but Gedo's claim ring as bs to me to excuse the reality that he basically pushed Okada and others over Goto during the time frame when Goto probably should have become champ even if only once with a short reign. Now his time is past, and there isn't much to be done about it.

If I'm not mistaken Gedo talked about Goto's G1 win in that quote. That was back in 2008, way before Okada. NJPW was still rebuilding at that time and didn't have as many stars as they have now. So him not getting a title run at that point is even more telling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Archibald said:

If I'm not mistaken Gedo talked about Goto's G1 win in that quote. That was back in 2008, way before Okada. NJPW was still rebuilding at that time and didn't have as many stars as they have now. So him not getting a title run at that point is even more telling.

Pretty sure you're mistaken. I've only heard about Gedo's comments in recent years. That type of thing definitely would have been brought up on SSS in 08.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KENSO will be showing up at the 9.8 show.  Along with Mutoh, Ikeman, Hase.

Former NOAH dude Genba Hirayanagi will be a seconds at the Aoki show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Eivion said:

I don't know, maybe its just stuff I missed when I wasn't watching, but Gedo's claim ring as bs to me to excuse the reality that he basically pushed Okada and others over Goto during the time frame when Goto probably should have become champ even if only once with a short reign. Now his time is past, and there isn't much to be done about it.

To be honest, ever since the whole thing with Davey Boy Jr came out I've been kinda looking at Gedo in a slightly different light. I know everything is hearsay until proven, but for it to be this much detailed the way he told it in that Hannibal interview leads me to believe that at least some of it is true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

To be honest, ever since the whole thing with Davey Boy Jr came out I've been kinda looking at Gedo in a slightly different light. I know everything is hearsay until proven, but for it to be this much detailed the way he told it in that Hannibal interview leads me to believe that at least some of it is true.

What did DBS jr. say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit: Wrestle Zone

 

In a new interview with The Hannibal TV, Davey Boy Smith Jr. discussed why he is no longer with New Japan Pro-Wrestling. He also discussed the end of the Killer Elite Squad tag team with Lance Archer.

Check out highlights below:

Why he left NJPW:

Unfortunately I was pretty much in a situation where I couldn’t win. New Japan towards the end were only giving me four tours a year. What they expressed to me was that there was no way for them to increase the work load of KES, Lance Archer and myself as a tag team. I had my back against the wall and it was a business decision that I had to make for my future. I felt like the tag team with Lance Archer with myself had expired and we did all that we could in Japan and in the USA. We’re just not very well known over here as a tag team.

 

NJPW having communication issues:

This all dates back to when Lance Archer hurt his back on a NJPW tour in March 2017. Believe me, when Archer and myself returned to New Japan after a two-year stint in Noah, I was very fired up and pumped up to take New Japan by storm. I had done a really crazy diet at that time. i didn’t even have a diet coke for about a month. No crap, I was lean and down to 248. Really happy to be back in New Japan, but unfortunately Archer got injured … he had to get emergency back surgery.

I was told I was on the rest of the tour and that I’d be on the next tour. It was a little over four weeks, he gave me a schedule, I wasn’t on the Super Juniors tour, I was on something in June. When I went home, I was owed merchandise money and they said [they’d pay me when I was back next month]. I was waiting for my flight information [and was told I wasn’t on the tour]. I was told I was on the full tour that was over a month long. I tried to send Gedo a Facebook message since that’s how him and Lance Hoyt communicate … he never even read it or responded. I spoke to Hattori, who had the balls to call me back, and he said, ‘We’re sorry,’ and that it was an office person’s fault. I would’ve appreciated them being honest with me and saying that [they had nothing for me since Archer was injured] and book yourself … With that lack of communication, what am I supposed to do?

On Gedo lying to him after he returned:

[I confronted Gedo and told him] that I sent you a Facebook message since that’s how you communicate with Lance. He lied to me, he’s a liar. He said, ‘Facebook? What’s Facebook?’ He talks like Cartman from ‘South Park.’ … They were pretending they didn’t speak English for 30 seconds, and I said, ‘What’s this then?’ and showed him the message. ‘How do you communicate with Lance then?’ I looked him in the eye and he goes, ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Well, you talk to him on Facebook, right? Do you want me back in New Japan or not? What’s the story here?’ He said when Lance gets better in September, we’ll come back and feud with War Machine and G.O.D. [I talked about the lack of communication] and he apologized … but ever since that day, Gedo was scared of me and didn’t want to communicate with me. Japanese don’t like confrontations, they’re very passive-aggressive.

NJPW blocking him coming to IMPACT:

I had been contacted by IMPACT Wrestling to do TV and I asked [NJPW] very nicely [if I could do it] and all of a sudden their eyes got wide and they were like, ‘You don’t want to leave us to go with them.’ I said no, but if you’re only booking me on four tours a year then I need to do things to further my career and get back on TV. …  I asked Gedo and Jado, and I like Jado a lot, he has a better business mind for wrestling than Gedo does, but it was like, ‘F—ing Jeff Jarrett. They f—ed Okada over.’ I was like, ‘Guys, Jeff Jarrett is gone. I was just asking. You said no, that’s fine.’ So, I went home and Lance Archer had emailed the new president Harold Meij and he said to Lance, “We figured Davey Boy was going to IMPACT and that you guys were done.” Lance asks me about this and … Gedo had told Meij that I was quitting. There was miscommunication and words were putting into my mouth. … I was never threatening to quit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...