DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

That junior league looked fairly unfun overall with the names in it for the most part.

Yeah, AJ junior stuff is never great. I’ll probably try to catch a few matches, but I haven’t even gone back and watched any of the tag team stuff, or Kento/Kai.

I like Lee and I think Sai can sometimes be good, but I think Lee’s gotta be able to have a good match here or he’s liable to remain a midcarder.

4 hours ago, Control said:

Yeah, AJ junior stuff is never great. I’ll probably try to catch a few matches, but I haven’t even gone back and watched any of the tag team stuff, or Kento/Kai.

I like Lee and I think Sai can sometimes be good, but I think Lee’s gotta be able to have a good match here or he’s liable to remain a midcarder.

I mean just look at the names in it for one.

Block A: 
1. Koji Iwamoto [8] I haven't seen very much, but am told he's quite good.
2. Kotaro Suzuki [7] A good hand, but is getting older and can be lazy.
3. TAJIRI [6] Has gotten terrible and doesn't care.
4. Yusuke Okada [4] I don't know much about him really.
5. Atsushi Maruyama [3] He was fun as Tigers Mask, but he's an older guy now and I don't really know how he looks these days.
6. Akira Francesco [2] The random foreign guy no one would be familiar with outside of Italy really.

Block B: 
1. Seiki Yoshioka  [7] Good from what little I've seen.
2. Atsushi Aoki [6] Was always good and I assume still can go.
3. Hikaru Sato [5] Underrated guy.
4. Black Menso~re [[4] I don't know much about him since I only ever really saw him in Okinawa and he's apparently improved, but I have no clue how good that is.
-. Chikara [4] Fucking abysmal last time I saw him.
-. Black Tiger VII [4] It's Nosawa, you know what you're getting and it's not going to be good.

Historically speaking, has there ever been a time when All Japan Jr.'s were ever great overall? I know they had Fuchi and Kikuchi going in the 90's for a bit and then Hayashi, Kondo and co. in the 00's, but their Jr. division has always been pretty forgettable for the most part with the emphasis always being on the heavyweights with the Triple Crown.

I haven't seen Aoki or Sato, but yeah, spot on. Aoki ruled back in the Sem days working as an underdog young lion and Sato was great in DDT and Hard Hit.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Historically speaking, has there ever been a time when All Japan Jr.'s were ever great overall? I know they had Fuchi and Kikuchi going in the 90's for a bit and then Hayashi, Kondo and co. in the 00's, but their Jr. division has always been pretty forgettable for the most part with the emphasis always being on the heavyweights.

I haven't seen Aoki or Sato, but yeah, spot on. Aoki ruled back in the Sem days working as an underdog young lion and Sato was great in DDT and Hard Hit.

Great, no, but during the Mutoh era it was generally good after a while. Kondo, Taka, & Hayashi were all generally good. Hijikata, Nakajima, Minoru, and Yamato provided some nice matches as well. Omega also had decent little reign with the jr. belt.

I have no idea how the last few years have since I haven;t watched AJPW regularly since about a year after the WRESTLE-1 split. Don't think I've even seen the great Miyahara matches people have mentioned since its been so long and I honestly wasn't big on him around the time I stopped.

• Like 1

When it comes to those All Japan Junior block rankings, they actually are quite accurate in terms of ranking the overall quality of the wrestlers involved.  1st and 2nd place in Block A, 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Block B, all great workers...AND THE REST.  However, Okada is really promising and just starting to look comfortable in the ring;  Maruyama is fun to watch and looks to be getting more focused and in shape in recent months.  He's a reliable hand that they can slot anywhere on the card.  

For the record, I consider Atsushi Aoki to be one of the truly underrated wrestlers of the last 10 years.  At times, he can be a god damn wizard in the ring.  Sato is also a guy who could blow your mind if you come across the right match.  He's also a bit of a loon, in a good way.  Those two have been holding down the fort in All Japan as far as juniors go for years until Iwamoto came along.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 4:38 PM, Beech27 said:

Feels like Kento snubbing him post-match sets up Tanahashi entering, doesn't it? (Now I need to go watch his last finals appearance against SUWAMA again.)

I'm sure that NJPW wants Tanahashi in G1 and doing two tournaments would be, I think, insanely stupid even for Tanahashi. And assuming that NJPW won't let Kojima lose in AJPW then what would they ask for Tanahashi? Perfect score and a finals win?

I don't know, Tanahashi/Kento in CC sounds cool, but I think it has zero chance of happening. Maybe what could happen is Kento winning CC as the champ and calling out Tanahashi?

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I don't know, Tanahashi/Kento in CC sounds cool, but I think it has zero chance of happening. Maybe what could happen is Kento winning CC as the champ and calling out Tanahashi?

You’re probably right. 

Kenny also mentions that he wanted a women’s match on his CEO show, but New Japan said no. So I don’t think the “New Japan needs joshi” crowd is close to getting their wish.

• Like 2

I got about halfway through the Baba show and it is such a blast. It was so much fun seeing the procession of legends during Abdullah's ceremony. Fuchi and Miho Abe interaction! Taichi singing to Kawada. A great celebration of pro wrestling. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

AJPW "EXCITE SERIES 2019", 24.02.2019 (AJPW.tv / Samurai! TV) 
Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium 
2,109 Fans 

1. Osamu Nishimura & Hokuto Omori besiegen Gianni Valletta & Atsuki Aoyagi (8:22) nach einem Figure-Four Leglock von Nishimura gegen Aoyagi. 
2. Jr. Battle of Glory Special Ten Man Tag Match: Atsushi Maruyama, Yusuke Okada, TAJIRI, Kotaro Suzuki & Francesco Akira besiegen Atsushi Aoki, Black Menso~re, Hikaru Sato, Black Tiger VII & Chikara (8:20) nach dem Endless Waltz von Suzuki gegen Sato. 
3. Masanobu Fuchi Debut 45th Anniversary Memorial Match Vol. 2 Special Tag Match: Takao Omori & Masanobu Fuchi besiegen Jun Akiyama & Mitsuo Momota (9:35) nach einem Small Package von Fuchi gegen Momota. 
4. Special Six Man Tag Match: Shuji Ishikawa, Yuma Aoyagi & KAI besiegen Zeus, Yoshitatsu & Yutaka Yoshie (14:16) nach einem Jackknife Hold von Aoyagi gegen Yoshitatsu. 
5. Naoya Nomura besiegt Dylan James (10:48) mit dem Maximum. 
6. Jr. Battle of Glory - Final: Koji Iwamoto besiegt Seiki Yoshioka  (14:59) mit dem Koko no Geijutsu. 
7. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Daisuke Sekimoto  & Yuji Okabayashi  (c) besiegen Jake Lee & Ryouji Sai (29:06) nach dem Golem Splash von Okabayashi gegen Lee (1st defense). 
8. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) besiegt Suwama (32:29) mit einem Delayed Shutdown Suplex Hold (2nd defense). 

Show results are in the spoilers for anyone who cares about those.

Champion Carnival 2019 (04.04. - 29.04.2019): 

Block A 
Kento Miyahara 
Zeus 
Shuji Ishikawa 
Yuma Aoyagi 
Ryouji Sai 
Kengo Mashimo  
Dylan James

Gianni Valletta 
Yuji Okabayashi  

Block B 
Suwama 
Naoya Nomura 
Jake Lee 
Joe Doering 
Yoshitatsu 
Daichi Hashimoto  
Sam Adonis 
Joel Redman 
Takashi Yoshida  

The former Cyber Kong? Oh, goodie.

From Purolove again

NOAH "NAVIGATION FOR PROGRESS 2019", 24.02.2019 (Samurai! TV) 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 
1,182 Fans 

1. Kenou, HAYATA, YO-HEY & Seiya Morohashi besiegen Hi69, Tadasuke, Kouki Iwasaki  & Junta Miyawaki (9:43) nach dem Gamen G von YO-HEY gegen Miyawaki. 
2. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Yoshinari Ogawa & Kotaro Suzuki besiegen Hajime Ohara & Hitoshi Kumano (c) (14:46) nach einem Tiger Driver von Suzuki gegen Kumano - Titelwechsel. 
3. Eddie Edwards besiegt Masa Kitamiya (8:13) mit der Boston Knee Party. 
4. Sugiura-gun (Dark Agents) vs. Hooligans 10 Man Tag Team Elimination Match: Takashi Sugiura, Akitoshi Saito, Masao Inoue, Yoshiki Inamura & Kinya Okada besiegen Maybach Taniguchi, Yuji Hino, Mitsuya Nagai , KAZMA SAKAMOTO & Cody Hall (23:52). Reihenfolge des Ausscheidens: 
- Maybach Taniguchi eliminierte Kinya Okada mit einer Lariat (1:03). 
- Yoshiki Inamura warf Yuji Hino & Akitoshi Saito über das Top Rope (5:38). 
- Masao Inoue warf Cody Hall über das Top Rope (11:22). 
- Yoshiki Inamura warf Mitsuya Nagai über das Top Rope (15:17). 
- KAZMA SAKAMOTO eliminierte Yoshiki Inamura mit einem Thrust Kick (15:32). 
- KAZMA SAKAMOTO eliminierte Masao Inoue mit einem Thrust Kick (19:35). 
- Takashi Sugiura eliminierte Maybach Taniguchi mit einem Frankensteiner (22:11). 
- Takashi Sugiura eliminierte KAZMA SAKAMOTO mit einem Olympic Slam (23:52). 
5. Naomichi Marufuji & Minoru Tanaka besiegen Kaito Kiyomiya & Daisuke Harada (19:52) nach dem Perfect Keylock von Marufuji gegen Kiyomiya. 
6 GHC Tag Team Title: Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki besiegen Quiet Storm & Mohammed Yone (19:59) nach dem Vertical Spike von Nakajima gegen Storm - Titelwechsel. 

Notes: 
- After losing to Sugiura and his team the Hooligans had to disband. 
- Masa Kitamiya & Eddie Edwards challenged the newly crowned GHC Tag Team Champions. 

Nakajima and Shiozaki will be known as "AXIZ".