DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Bonus point that I think wasn't mentioned here: despite all that he can still work NJPW dates. You know, if it was that bad then he probably would just have signed exclusive with AEW. Or he wants Harold to publicly apologize.

Overall this is a mess. It doesn't make sense in kayfabe and it doesn't make sense in real world.

Hmm. Why wouldn’t you ask that again as part of the interview? Seems worth getting on tape and going over a little more. And if it was off the record, Dave wouldn’t have mentioned it at all.

Do we assume then that Okada would’ve beaten White, found himself, and fully regained form? Surely that would’ve happened eventually, but... I don’t know. Tanahashi builds Okada to build Naito and Kenny to build Okada to build (maybe) Naito all just seems very circular, even granting the ace default that Japanese booking tends towards.

5 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

Hmm. Why wouldn’t you ask that again as part of the interview? Seems worth getting on tape and going over a little more. And if it was off the record, Dave wouldn’t have mentioned it at all.

Do we assume then that Okada would’ve beaten White, found himself, and fully regained form? Surely that would’ve happened eventually, but... I don’t know. Tanahashi builds Okada to build Naito and Kenny to build Okada to build (maybe) Naito all just seems very circular, even granting the ace default that Japanese booking tends towards.

I’m pretty sure the story would’ve been that Okada would’ve found himself during the New Japan Cup and won the whole damn thing. White probably would’ve still beaten Okada to be a Kenny defense at NB like he is now.

Something interesting that Dave said in a previous WOR is that Jay will be a Kenny surrogate in 2019. Basically everything that was planned for Kenny’s booking will just have Jay White plugged into the role. So IF that’s true, then that would mean Jay would presumably beat Tana and then drop it to Okada in the Garden.

2 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Meltzer said that from a conversation he had with Kenny pre-interview, he was told that if Kenny had re-signed with NJPW, the plan was for him to beat Tanahashi at the Dome and lose to Okada at MSG.

So how long ago did they know that he won't resign? Because, if we take Omega's bad promo work away... everything since G1 (if not earlier) was building towards Tanahashi winning and whole Tanahashi/Okada/White triangle was done very well.

I mean, 2018 wasn't my favourite year and I thought that many stupid things happened, but I think nobody can claim that Tanahashi/Okada/White wasn't well done. Everything, more or less, fits and naturally leads into Tanahashi/White title match tomorrow.

I think that had Omega resigned we would have gotten substantially different things.

22 hours ago, D.Z said:

Differ Ariake today.

Dy74g4MVAAANcxj?format=jpg&name=small

What happened? Did they demolish it?

So many great Noah memories in that venue plus the ROH joint shows, the Differ Cup and the Sem cards.

Speaking (kinda) of interviews and Jay White, he was on Jericho’s podcast. Seems like a nice kid. Nothing too revelatory or inflammatory. Maybe the most interesting thing is that he doesn’t ever seem to have been an über fan, and is thus pretty level headed about all of this. He tried the New Zealand military, didn’t like it, won tickets to Wrestlemania on the radio, thought that would be cool to do, and here we are. Didn’t know a thing about New Japan before arriving. Confirms that the gimmick is mostly his (Alex Shelley helped, which is why he pays tribute via his finisher) and Josh Barnett was actually doing that whole thing he was doing. 

WHISKEY THOUGHT #2: Right-before-CZW BJPW is rootin' tootin' good time. Moreso than DDT or CHIKARA or any indy Lucha show the deathmatch style has been pro wrestling's true avant-garde for most of this millenium.

May time never forget the Honma/Yamakawa feud. It's really great. The late nineties BJPW style was cultivated by animal abuse, the  exaltation of the high spot, straight up gore, post-Hayabusa/ECW confusion, vampiric audiences... then all of a sudden they had people who could actually work, even if they still worked with light tubes. It's such an interesting set of circumstances and such pure talent on display, painting with a capriciously crimson palette.

There's an alternate universe where Yamakawa got to be the elevated NJPW jobber instead of Honma. I hope Hell has a multidimensional Dailymotion if nothing else.

• Like 2

Depending on your style preference regarding theatrical melodrama, straight ahead violence, and acrobatics (just gonna draw some false boundaries here for a sec), PAC versus Kzy could be an early fringe MOTYC. The sort of thing I’d forget about and not want to rework my whole list, so I’d just say it’s an honorable mention and call it good. If you were putting Hiromu versus Ishimori up really high on your list last year, maybe you’d do better than hypothetical me. It’s cool and fast but never made me incredulous, and it’s indie in the best ways: there’s one camera, no announcing, no sound mixing, babyfaces doing bad pop idol choreography, a screaming crowd, and a nasty finish that misplaced half the marbles in Fukuoka. 

I stopped checking results for a couple weeks then came back today to find I no longer recognize New Japan Pro Wrestling from what it was a few months ago. 

Also I wonder when Fuchi was kicking Iizuka's face all over the ring in 2000 with Kawada if he knew he would live to see the day where he (Fuchi) is celebrating his 45th year as a pro wrestler and Iizuka is simultaneously announcing his retirement. 

ALSO ALSO third rambling point before I go to bed. Mitsuya Nagai was really killing it in AJPW in the early 2000s as part of Kawada and Fuchi's traditional king's road stable. He never seemed to get treated well by promotors after injuring Iizuka as badly as he did with that mistimed head-kick. Any thoughts on Nagai being an underachiever having anything to do with bad feelings backstage after injuring a well-respected dude like Iizuka so badly? 

K that is all. 

• Like 2