DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Watching the September Nomura/Miyahara match and it reminds me of the point put forth by Joe Lanza of Voices of Wrestling that I have previously mentioned in the past. Miyahara is more Kenny Omega than he is Okada or Tanahashi. The over-the-top presentation, facial reactions, body movement, shouting during lock-ups, knee spamming, one hit kill finisher, and I'm sure more that I'm missing. People deride Omega for his silly faces (and don't get me wrong, I wish he would tone it down too) but Miyahara is pretty much universally praised and I don't think I've ever heard somebody speak ill towards him. I love both of their work, so I'm cool with that but do you think Miyahara gets a free pass because he flies under the radar of a lot of the people who hold bad views? Is it because he's Japanese and the weeaboo Elite haters don't feel the need to bother? Miyahara does work a more traditionally Japanese style than Omega but brother be spamming the knee an awful lot late in match too. I'd also consider Miyahara a more consistent wrestler than Omega, though since Dynamite started I think Omega's usually put his best foot forward most of the time. But neither of those things would answer my question. Why does Miyahara get away with a lot of stuff Omega and others catch flack for? 

To each their own. I really dug that Nomura/Miyahara match. I think it would be a mistake for Jake Lee to dethrone Kento. Nomura should be the main Miyahara rival. In comparison to the BOSJ final, there was way more selling and storytelling going on in the TC match though Miyahara did catch Nomura several times after Naoya hit him with huge moves. I wasn't bothered though because Miyahara basically stayed down for over a minute each time and was "playing possum" with the naive Nomura, who himself was recovering from the prolonged ass whipping Miyahara dished out. The speed of the counter dance between Shingo and Ospreay was wild though. Completely different styles and I'd probably lean towards the TC match because of the pacing. Both great but a notch below my two full five boys from this year.

Gonna peep Sareeeeee/Chihiro from June next. I watched the finishing sequence after people were going gaga for it once it dropped and I remember really digging what I saw.

DDT Grand Prix spoilers:

Spoiler

8. D-Ou Grand Prix 2020 – Final: Masato Tanaka defeated Tetsuya Endo with the Sliding D (23:57).

d0a.gif

Tanaka vs. HARASHIMA for the KO-D Openweight Title January 26th. They claimed over 2000 at Korakuen so that's cool.

• Haha 2

I wish AJP would get bigger money backers and then they could land on TBS or Fuji Tv.  Lot of money is needed to pay to stay on those networks. To rent bigger buildings as well.

More money will give them tv ads for more exposure.

I know kidani has no interest in buying AJP,  because he said he would rather see AJP grow on its own. But there's limits to growth without better tv and etc.

Not in a snarky way but I wonder who is going to go to the Dave Meltzer appearance at Toudoukan on the 4th.

https://www.toudoukan.com/page/$/page_id/4998/

I'll be in Tokyo from the 31st to the 2nd. I'm thinking about going to a show but nothing really strikes me as definite go to. Would have liked to be able to go to the 1/3 AJPW show with the Miyahara/Lee main but I can't stretch my trip out that long. Any recommendations? Maybe Z-1 at Korakuen. But that's mainly just to say I went to Korakuen.

https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi?202001

Edit: Just to be clear, I live in Japan so I'm just thinking about the shows during that window when I'm in Tokyo.

Edited by lostinube

I like Uncle Dave. I’ve always found him interesting and fairly on the money. That said, listening to him is like pulling teeth. I can’t fathom spending $30 to hear him go ‘umm, err, let me check my notes’ for 2 hours.

The 1/1 Z1 is always the New Years hangover show especially as it’s usually at lunchtime. That said, Hino and Okabayashi are guaranteed to leather the piss out of each other so that would probably make your trip to Korakuen there.

I’d try and go to the AJPW on 1/2. AJPW shows are almost always my favourite shows when I go to Tokyo due to the great wrestling and clean finishes. Doubling up with the evening BJW show is always a done deal for me. Always sold out, hot crowd and usually a couple of tip top matches.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lostinube said:

Not in a snarky way but I wonder who is going to go to the Dave Meltzer appearance at Toudoukan on the 4th.

https://www.toudoukan.com/page/$/page_id/4998/

I'll be in Tokyo from the 31st to the 2nd. I'm thinking about going to a show but nothing really strikes me as definite go to. Would have liked to be able to go to the 1/3 AJPW show with the Miyahara/Lee main but I can't stretch my trip out that long. Any recommendations? Maybe Z-1 at Korakuen. But that's mainly just to say I went to Korakuen.

https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi?202001

Edit: Just to be clear, I live in Japan so I'm just thinking about the shows during that window when I'm in Tokyo.

Ribbonmania on 31st. Big Japan on 2nd. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 12:28 AM, Oyaji said:

To each their own. I really dug that Nomura/Miyahara match. I think it would be a mistake for Jake Lee to dethrone Kento. Nomura should be the main Miyahara rival.

While I think Nomura is probably having better matches with Kento than Jake is, I think him bypassing Jake would pretty much kill Jake's career for the near future.

It's too bad that Violent Giants won the tag league, since it would have made lots of sense--given that both Jake and Nomura have challenged Kento recently--to have JIN challenge for, and win, the tag titles. That would give them something to do until the CC, at least.

Anyway, given the actual booking, I think they may as well put the title on Jake and let him defend it through to the CC, which Nomura could win. Then let them fight for the TC in the summer and put it on whoever seems to have more fan support.  Kento can focus on his team with Aoyagi. They probably won't do that, though, since they seem intent on having Kento break the record for consecutive TC defences.

Related note: I'm worried that the "New God" who is going to join the God Army is Gianni Valetta. AJ hasn't booked any foreigners for the January shows, but UTAMARO has hinted, on Twitter, that the God is from overseas. (On the other hand, this could just mean Zeus, since he's a Greek god. Still, it would be weird, since Zeus is booked for a tag defence on the same show).

• Like 1

Thanks for the recs everyone.

I'm probably going to the Z-1 show. Have plans on the 2nd and the BJW show that day might be cutting it close to my bus time.

Thought about Ribbonmania but I'll be in Yokohama for the live SASUKE/Ninja Warrior Final Stage run and meeting friends.