DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Tokyo Sports Awards 

Most Valuable Player Award: Kazuchika Okada 

Women's Wrestling Award: Mayu Iwatani 

Best Bout: Kazuchika Okada  vs. SANADA (14.10.2019, NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling)

Best Tag Team Prize: Suwama  & Shuji Ishikawa

Technique Award: Kota Ibushi 

Fighting Spirit Award: Kaito Kiyomiya 

Outstanding Performance Award: Kento Miyahara 

Rookie Award: Strong Machine J 

Lifetime Achievement Award: Atsushi Aoki 

I haven't actually caught SANADA vs. Okada yet. Was it really that good? I wasn't super into the previous two title matches of theirs I caught.

Mayu probably didn't quite deserve to win the women's award though it isn't surprising she did with her holding the WOH belt, having a title match at MSG, and just winning the red belt. Still seems kind of weird with Takumi Iroha and Sareee getting a lot more push in the joshi world.

I have never seen a Violent Giants match yet for reason Suwama and Ishiwaka winning pleases me. I really need to finally catch some of their matches. I was pretty fond of the two on the own. They seem like they would fit well together.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

I haven't actually caught SANADA vs. Okada yet. Was it really that good? I wasn't super into the previous two title matches of theirs I caught.

No, I'd say that their NJ Cup and G1 matches were better. I feel like this being match of the year tells us more not about that match being really good, but how industry sees Sanada. I will be surprised if in 2020 he doesn't get IC title run.

Some end of year AJPW notes, based on what I’m piecing together from Twitter:

Jake, Nomura, and Iwamoto have formed a new unit called JIN.

Kento was in a musical

UTAMARO apparently kidnapped Marayuma, who hasn’t been seen since. So, like, there’s an AJPW undercard story—virtually unprecedented.

UTAMARO also teamed with Shigehiro Irie today, so hopefully Irie gets used more often. 

EDIT: I *think* Maryuma returned under a mask and UTAMARO, Irie, and him formed a new unit, possibly called God Army:

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

He wouldn’t be the first wrestler to juggle a couple of gigs.

However, given that the stable is currently two non-AJPW guys and one junior, I wouldn’t count on them being a real thing until you see them booked for a tour or two.