DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t blame CMLL, or New Japan on this. Several Japanese performers have had really good stints in CMLL. Everyone of them nowhere near as good as Hiromu, but most were able to carve a niche in the company. If Kawato can’t do it, then he has no hope to succeed.

I disagree. There is room in wrestling for guys who can't do all things. He's a tiny lightweight dude who emotes so well as a babyface. To write him off because he struggles working both the lucha style and playing a stereotype seems wrong to me. Reading Kikuchi's name above brings up a perfect example. One of the best sellers and emotional wrestlers Japan has ever produced but I would contend pretty limited beyond that. He made a pretty fucking great career out of selling for guys like Kobashi. Kawato was already technically above where Kikuchi was in the '90s even as a young lion. If he continues to waste away in CMLL, I hope he can just go elsewhere and prove NJPW were wrong to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I disagree. There is room in wrestling for guys who can't do all things. He's a tiny lightweight dude who emotes so well as a babyface. To write him off because he struggles working both the lucha style and playing a stereotype seems wrong to me. Reading Kikuchi's name above brings up a perfect example. One of the best sellers and emotional wrestlers Japan has ever produced but I would contend pretty limited beyond that. He made a pretty fucking great career out of selling for guys like Kobashi. Kawato was already technically above where Kikuchi was in the '90s even as a young lion. If he continues to waste away in CMLL, I hope he can just go elsewhere and prove NJPW were wrong to fit a square peg in a round hole. 

Agreed, I don't know why you would give up now, in 2019 of all times.  There's more reason to suggest he can become what they want than ever before.

I don't think that anyone is giving up, it just looks like it'll take some extra time and early 2020 return is unlikely.

I also don't like that people try to write it down to it being lucha thing or CMLL. Dives happen probably in every second match these days, if he can't catch them reliably (thou he is getting better at it, or at least was getting better at it before his injury) then I'm not sure where he'd work, especially considering that he is a junior.

The Kubota twins, Hide and Yasu, perennial indy scum that for some reason now have jobs in Z1 at 45. Before you ask, yes, I believe they did face the Brahmin twins once. The horror.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

I'm watching this match from the 2006 World Tag League. I'm always down to check out anything from one of the Three Musketeers, but can anyone give me a bit of background on RISE, and what matches from this faction I should check out? 

Also, is it just me or does Nakamura look like Goto here?

I like it AJPW needs to shake up their roster for 2020 now that Jake and Nomura are moving up and will need more peers/fresh rivals. Maybe they can steal some W1 dudes or something. 

Does Kyosuke Sasaki ever still wrestle? I wouldn't mind seeing him show up in AJPW and occupy Hijikata's old grumpy shooty junior guy role (not that Hikaru Sato doesn't already fill out that role nicely...). 

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

SUWAMA looks like he's plotting something. Who are the two in the far back not even attempting to smile?

I’m assuming you’re referring to Hokuto Omori and Dan Tamura, whom you won’t have seen if you’ve never watched an AJ opening match from the past year.