DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

The Liger retirement match with Tatsumi Fujinami et al (and the apparent snub of Koji Kanemoto) led me to finding these Dradition cards celebrating Hiro Saito's 40th year in the biz:
https://www.dradition.jp/card_ticket/2019/1025.html

Main is Liger, Fujinami and Shiro Koshinaka vs Saito, Keiji Mutoh and Tenzan with special guest referee Masahiro Chono.

Kanemoto is teaming with Otani and Takaiwa vs Mitsuya Nagai. KENSO and KAZMA SAKAMOTO.

https://dradition.jp/card_ticket/2019/1027.html

Liger, Fujinami and Koshinaka vs Saito, Yoshiaki Fujiwara and TBA.

It also has Koji Kanemoto and Genki Horiguchi vs Super Tiger and Masaaki Mochizuki.

I always wondered while it wouldn't work in the US, but for Japan and even Mexico why hasn't a senior division ever be set up by one of those promotions? Make it 45 years and up age wise or if you had 20 years as a pro. Something like that. Also gives them something to go after rather then the random 6 man opening tag that they usually do.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:20 PM, Belgian_Waffle said:

I remember in like 2004 NJPW teased a O-50 (Over 50) title to compliment their U-30 title. Not sure how seriously the idea was ever considered but I recall Tenryu being the favourite for first champ. 

Was this when he was using his age as the name of his finished? I vaguely remember this. Could have built to a cool Tanahashi-over-Tenryu Dome thing.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

Was this when he was using his age as the name of his finished? I vaguely remember this. Could have built to a cool Tanahashi-over-Tenryu Dome thing.

Yup, the "I'm 54 Years Old" brainbuster variation that was suspiciously identical to his usual brainbuster. And yeah they had access to enough "O-50" guys to have a decent division---Tenryu, Choshu, Fujinami, Grab Hamada... I seem to even recall Abby's name being mentioned although that might just have been a beautiful dream I had at the time. 

The brainbuster snap was a bit lower and nastier on the 53 Sai that Tenryu did, but I don't remember if he did a normal brainbuster like that already or not.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:27 PM, lostinube said:

20191025_DRADITION_top.jpg.pagespeed.ce.

There's like a minimum of 200 years of wrestling experience combined in this photo, right?

Anyway, this was from yesterday's Dradition show.

OK, I'll bite. Fujinami (49), Koshinaka (40), Mutoh and Chono (35 + 30, debuted against each other, Chono retired five years ago), Liger (35), Choshu (45, retired this June), Saito (41), Tenzan (28)... add three years since most guys debuted between January-April...

About 306 years active in the ring, give or take.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Besides Liger-Suzuki and that fabulous Ospreay-Phantasmo what are the must see bouts from the past couple weeks in NJPW?  I've seen only a couple JR Tag tourny matches, but nothing has stood out thus far.  

Well nothing really happened in last two weeks outside of stuff that you mentioned. Thou I think that last (27th) Jr. Tag league show was the best one so far.

• Like 1