DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

If anyone is interested in a spare tix to the Lowell show please get in touch with me. I can't go due to work, just want the $29 face I paid for it and not a penny more. 

Well, I'll be damned, it happened over ten years ago. Good memory. Suwama's still great. Kondo's what he is, but older. Suzuki is Suzuki regardless of age. Who knows what Kea has left?

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

Suwama and Kondo were a good team. So was Suwama and Doering. I really need to see some of Suwama's work with Ishikawa since it sounds like its been his best team.

If Soya had stuck around I would have loved to see a run where he breaks up Wild II and teams with Suwama as the ultimate hoss team.

On that note, 

I just watched the Miyahara vs Jake final from the Oudou Tournament. 

Spoiler

Really good match, which won't surprise anyone. Wish they could have run a bigger building since the production looked really low-rent and it cost the finish some of its gravitas...but there were also some empty seats visible so I guess they gotta live within their means. Finishing sequence was really smart and made me wish I'd watched the match spoiler-free. Miyahara is the master of building towards, then away from, then back towards, then away from, etc etc a finish before either winning or doing the job. Not many guys (ever, forget just now) are as good as him at coming up with fresh near-fall sequences while also working like 20 big singles matches a year. Jake Lee wasn't as impressive as he was in the Carny final but I have a feeling he'll bring it big in the title match. He still does weird/goofy/green-y stile stuff like, for instance, he ducks a flying knee and counters by hitting Miyahara in the chest with a senton (COOL) but then he proceeds to sit on his butt for way too long while pointing at his head like six dozen times in that age-old 'see? sometimes ya gotta rule with your mind' gesture (not cool)...or during one outside the ring sequence he started a clap going to try to get the crowd more involved, which was met with meagre interest. I know it's tough when you're trying to channel Misawa vs Kobashi but you're working in front of a small audience but making really overt or obvious signals to garner crowd participation is kind of ouchy to watch when you're in there with the champ. They also did a German suplex off the apron to the floor spot which they probably should have saved for the title match. We'll see how it goes down.

There doesn't seem to be much option except to have Jake go over and get a run with the TC, unless they think he can get more rub by losing and being built up for another year...always super risky and historically doesn't have a great track record but as long as they don't pass him by again a second year I think they can have him lose in the TC match, win the Carny in April, and then come back and beat whoever the champ is. Only problem is then you'll have to get the strap off Miyahara regardless unless he's just gonna fight everybody a second time (and Nomura has already had two shots this reign). Long post! Lots of thoughts. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
macbook autocorrect renders post into dadaist collage poetry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

You guys see Sapp fight at RIZIN last year? Still looks great but man what a funny fight. I don't see what he really offers at this point.

Besides comedic relief from a 6’8”, 400 lb man turtling up at the first sign of contact?