DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

4 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

surely you know Yuki Ishikawa, @Control? Battlarts? Shooty tendencies.

Oddly enough, this is a different, 23-year-old Yuki Ishikawa. It has confused me a few times. I'm surprised they're letting him get away with that name, really. I mean, KENTA had to quit that Kenta Kobayashi shit, and that wasn't as egregious.

• Like 1

Watched the September 16 AJPW Korakuen hall show (OK just the Oudou tournament matches) and it was a good time. Features:

• The return of KAI to AJPW. He has a very good match with Aoyagi, who decides to try to match KAI's high-flying. I know some don't like KAI, but I think he's very solid, and there's a real lack of agile heavyweights in AJ, so he's a nice fit. Hope they can keep him around--he doesn't seem like a Dragon Gate guy.
    • Unfortunately my favourite ref, Nikkan Lee, gets injured during this match. There's some shit on the ring mat, and when she goes in for a three count at some point she must kick some stuff up into her eye, which she keeps covering for the rest of the match, and then she shows up with an eye patch later
  • Gianni Valetta's best singles match ever. Maybe he is OK now.
  • A good Ikeman vs Yoshitatsu match. Match is good overall, with some occasional great spots. Ikeman can really bump (though his selling is pretty shit).
  • The return of Joe Doering, who has been injured all year, thus his crappy CC showing (and the fact that he half-assed it in the title match against the Violent Giants). He seemed all the way back here and goddamn it was good to see.

Other Oudou matches worth checking out include Suwama vs Lee and Zeus vs James.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, sevendaughters said:

Kento is top 5 in the world right now, no question for me.

Late response, sorry. But I’m interested in who the other 4 in your Top 5 in the world right now is. I’m new to Kento and will try to watch more of him. 

On 9/19/2019 at 5:25 AM, lostinube said:

In print it's 石川勇希 (BJW guy) and 石川雄規 (Battlarts guy) and it's not like they are wrestling in the same place.

Japanese fans read it on English only sites, don't you know? The different characters are meaningless to them! Also, I want the old guy to wrestle in BJW. Amusingly, the modern kid is probably far more well known among specific Japanese fans for obvious reasons.

Edited by Ryan
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Control said:

Watched the September 16 AJPW Korakuen hall show (OK just the Oudou tournament matches) and it was a good time. Features:

• The return of KAI to AJPW. He has a very good match with Aoyagi, who decides to try to match KAI's high-flying. I know some don't like KAI, but I think he's very solid, and there's a real lack of agile heavyweights in AJ, so he's a nice fit. Hope they can keep him around--he doesn't seem like a Dragon Gate guy.
    • Unfortunately my favourite ref, Nikkan Lee, gets injured during this match. There's some shit on the ring mat, and when she goes in for a three count at some point she must kick some stuff up into her eye, which she keeps covering for the rest of the match, and then she shows up with an eye patch later
  • Gianni Valetta's best singles match ever. Maybe he is OK now.
  • A good Ikeman vs Yoshitatsu match. Match is good overall, with some occasional great spots. Ikeman can really bump (though his selling is pretty shit).
  • The return of Joe Doering, who has been injured all year, thus his crappy CC showing (and the fact that he half-assed it in the title match against the Violent Giants). He seemed all the way back here and goddamn it was good to see.

Other Oudou matches worth checking out include Suwama vs Lee and Zeus vs James.

I only watch matches with TAJIRI against guys who can't carry him. I command you to watch his match with Great Kojika and report back.

8 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Late response, sorry. But I’m interested in who the other 4 in your Top 5 in the world right now is. I’m new to Kento and will try to watch more of him. 

They're all in obscure Australian feds that don't tape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

I only watch matches with TAJIRI against guys who can't carry him. I command you to watch his match with Great Kojika and report back.

haha fuck no

Anyway, y'all should watch Kento v Ikeman, which was awesome.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:31 AM, OctopusCinema said:

Probably a dull list to most here - I'd probably say Ishii is a reliable old stager who delivers (and Japan has a lot but he is king amonst them), Kota Ibushi is about to hit the star level his talent demands, Shingo Takagi is probably going to break through in a non-parent company in Japan faster than Sanada because he's just that good, and probably Okada to round it off. I realise this is NJPW heavy but they have a lot of extremely good wrestlers (Tanahashi will always have my heart, I became a big EVIL fan this year, and I think my friend Neil is right about Jay White) though there are a lot of super talents across Japan (I like Ben-K, Kitamiya, N Nomura, Zeus, Shuji Ishikawa, and Kohei Sato a lot). Outside of Japan I'd have trouble forming a list as I don't see a whole lot (busy, not snobbery) but I like what I see of late from Cody, the Lucha Brothers, Pete Dunne, Drew Gulak, Cavernario, and a few others.

• Like 2

Thanks, I just saw that they were posted today.

NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed in Lowell, MA, September 27

• Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kota Ibushi vs SANADA, EVIL & Tetsuya Naito
  • IWGP Tag Team Championship Match: Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (c) vs Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)
  • Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI & Rocky Romero vs Jay White, Gedo & KENTA
  • Tomohiro Ishii & Amazing Red vs Shingo Takagi & BUSHI
  • The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs Chase Owens & Jado
  • Mikey Nicholls & Juice Robinson vs TJP & Clark Connors
  • Lance Archer vs Ren Narita
  • Karl Fredericks vs Alex Coughlin

NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed in New York City, NY, September 28

• Kazuchika Okada & Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA & EVIL
  • NEVER Openweight Championship Match: KENTA (c) vs YOSHI-HASHI
  • Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Amazing Red vs Jay White, Chase Owens & Gedo
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi & The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi & BUSHI
  • Rocky Romero, SHO & YOH vs Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Jado
  • Juice Robinson & Mikey Nicholls vs Clark Connors & Alex Coughlin
  • Lance Archer vs Karl Fredericks
  • TJP vs Ren Narita

NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed in Philadelphia, PA, September 29

• Elimination Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) vs Jay White, KENTA, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Chase Owens & Gedo
  • Kota Ibushi & TJP vs EVIL & BUSHI
  • Juice Robinson, SHO & YOH vs Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & Shingo Takagi
  • Amazing Red vs Ren Narita
  • Lance Archer vs Alex Coughlin
  • Mikey Nicholls vs Karl Fredericks
  • Rocky Romero vs Clark Connors

1 hour ago, olythegreat89 said:

Thanks? The main events for the 3 shows all serve their purpose and I'm glad Amazing Red is booked. Hopefully KENTA and Yoshi-Hashi can have a great match.... I know I'm reaching with that one but a guy can dream right?!

I think that Yoshi can have great matches, it is just difficult to get behind him since you know that he is an undercard that is going to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That Elimination match is gonna be ridiculously fun. And hey, Jado's on all three shows, guess he isn't so broken down after all. 

That or he's there to eat a quick couple of pins.

Kind of surprised they're running GOD vs R3K here, especially when the real money is GOD against the RNRs.