DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Talking about DDT got me thinking about something I've been wondering about for a while... Why don't they push Higuchi more? He's like 2019 Akira Taue. Big unit, sumo boy with the nodowa otoshi and is quite good. On the upcoming Peter Pan show (their change in schedule threw me off, they're doing it in the summer again but now it's in Tokyo Ota Ward Gymnasium, not Ryogoku which they're still running in the autumn but under a different name), he's in a DNA alumni match. He did make it to the semi-final of the King of DDT this year, which is a nice sign but this guy needs a big boy push.

While I'm talking about Peter Pan, here's the card courtesy the DDT blog:

DDT “WRESTLE PETER PAN 2019”, 15/07/2019
Tokyo Ota Ward Gymnasium

0. Hotel Saint Inn Kurashiki Presents Exhibition Match: Kota Umeda Vs Keigo Nakamura
0. Nihon Partner Kaikei Services Presents Tokyo Joshi Pro Under Match: Rika Tatsumi, Nodoka Tenma & Yuki Aino Vs Natsumi Maki, Yuna Manase & Himawari Unagi
1. Shunma Katsumata, Yuki Iino & Mizuki Watase Vs Yuki Ueno, Naomi Yoshimura & Nobuhiro Shimatani
2. DNA First Life Alumni Match: Kazusada Higuchi & Ryota Nakatsu Vs Kota Umeda & Kouki Iwasaki
3. Super Joshi Pro Wars 2019: Saki Akai Vs Yoshiko
4. DDT Extreme Title – IPPON Fluorescent Lighttube Death Match:Akito (c) Vs Asuka
5. Iron Man Heavymetalweight Title – Time Difference Battle Royal: Toru Owashi (c) Vs Kurochan Vs Shiro Koshinaka Vs Furitsuke Kamen Vs Joey Ryan Vs Yukio Sakaguchi Vs Makoto Oishi Vs Antonio Honda Vs Kazuki Hirata Vs Mad Paulie Vs Tomomitsu Matsunaga Vs Gorgeous Matsuno Vs Hiroshi Yamato Vs Pokotan Vs Yuki Kamifuku
6. Windmill Suplex 2nd Generation Vs Taiho 3rd Generation: Hideki Suzuki Vs Yukio Naya
7. Chris Brookes & Masahiro Takanashi Vs MAO & Mike Bailey
8. O-40 Title – Weapon Rumble: Sanshiro Takagi Vs Super Sasadango Machine
9. Dramatic Dream Match: Shinya Aoki Vs Danshoku Dieno
10. KO-D Tag Team Titles – Souken Holdings Presents: Daisuke Sasaki & Soma Takao (c) Vs HARASHIMA & Yasu Urano
11. KO-D Openweight Title – BLACK OUT Presents: Tetsuya Endo (c) Vs Konosuke Takeshita

That's a pretty solid card. Poor Saki Akai is going to get mauled. Where the fuck is Maki Itoh tho? Suzuki vs. their big young boy should be good times. The Moonlight Express match will deliver. Gimme Takagi vs. Sasadango Machine goofiness all day. Shinya fucking Aoki, legit (but fading) MMA star turned part-time wrestler vs. my boy Danshoku, lol. Love it. The co-main and main events could be really good or eye rolling in their overindulgence.

Edited by Oyaji

A lot of it probably has to do with how new he still is. He'll be 31 this year, but is 5 years in the biz as of this coming Fall, but only 2 years officially as a main roster guy. He's held some tag belts. I'm sure they'll push him harder at some point. He's had some big matches on occasion. He was an actual sumo guy, so he started late.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:02 AM, D.Z said:

Jun Akiyama has resigned from his position as president of All Japan Pro Wrestling. Tsuyoki Fukuda,  will be the new president starting Oct. 10. He is a owner of a large group.

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/ajpw/1466070/

Omori is stepping down. And AJP will isolate itself, so no more BJW, DG etc.

5cc334f40f135f379ba84703262ace97-350x450

• Sad 1

I mean, they’re not short on hosses.

anyway, terrible news, if true. AJ has 17 wrestlers and cannot out on shows without outsiders. I’ve been happy to see them using 2AW guys like Ayato Yoshida and Taishi Takizawa to bolster their cards.

wonder if this means more or less foreigners? I could be on board with a The End, Joel Redman, and Nobe Bryant joining the regular cast.

I will post more about the upcoming changes for AJPW, from now to Oct 10 and beyond.

I'm fine with Isolation, they have done it in other eras, either fully or partially.  If they intend to pump more money into the promotion to spend, the cash will likely end up being for guest appearances freelancers or older names. And media related stuff.

Forgot to mention Jun is the GM now,  of talent that is. Jun did not want the president job anymore, so he could focus more on the wrestling side.

Edited by D.Z

That last bit about Akiyama staying on in charge of the in-ring stuff is good news. Are these new owners going to inject cash, cut costs, or status quo is the big question.

As I've been watching NJPW the last year or so I've been curious as to when Taichi started to use Kawada's moves and the axe bomber along with taking a bit of Suwama's look and finisher? I know he is a Kawada student, but it feels kind of weird since he wasn't rally doing any of that the last time I saw him wrestle regular (admittedly years ago before he joined NJPW)

Bushi should still be breakdancing. Sanada should still be mini-Muto. Taichi should still be working for Kawada at his ramen shop.

• Like 2

AJPW Oudou tournament matches:

Kento Miyahara vs Joe Doering

Naoya Nomura vs Sam Adonis

Zeus vs Dylan James

Taishi Takizawa vs Gianni Valletta

Yuma Aoyagi vs KAI

Shuji Ishikawa vs Ryouji Sai

Jake Lee vs Suwama

Yoshitatsu vs Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio

D_rH-bvX4AAOn0W?format=jpg&name=small

AJPW 8/11 Aoki memorial show:

Yusuke Okada vs Ippei Ota

Hikaru Sato & Takuya Wada vs Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura

Naoya Nomura & Hitoshi Kumano vs Jun Akiyama & Takashi Sugiura

Suwama, Shuji Ishikawa & Shuhei Taniguchi vs Kento Miyahara, Naomichi Marufuji & Yuma Aoyagi

Okabayashi, Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto vs Zeus, The Bodyguard & Dylan James

Edited by Control

Had some of the NJPW non-match stuff on my watchlist and finally got around it. One interesting thing is Taichi/Ishii story and "four black saints":

https://www.njpw1972.com/54371

Taichi doesn't really go into details and I wonder if that was actually a thing? Or is this something new? Because I had no idea about any of it before reading that article and watching these videos. Either way, Taichi is likely beating Ishii on last day and we are likely getting another NEVER title match between them so I think it is good that they are building more meat around it, even if it is not really based in reality.

• Like 1

Seems to be something that Taichi came up with in June (from when those videos were filmed). There doesn't seem to be anything online older than that. Interesting that NJPW always openly acknowledges that things sucked for them in the early 2000s. I don't think any other promotion has done that.