DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

I don't get it- why are NJPW wrestlers taking a caca on Ring Of Honor lately? I know business is down right now, but I know the NJPW guys aren't gonna sit here and pretend that New Japan wasn't in the crapper in the 2000's. It's not like they're having to work for some outlaw fed in a small town in New Hampshire, where some mark who never cut it elsewhere makes himself the champion. 

Edited by Thomas Bugg

2 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I don't get it- why are NJPW wrestlers taking a caca on Ring Of Honor lately? I know business is down right now, but I know the NJPW guys aren't gonna sit here and pretend that New Japan wasn't in the crapper in the 2000's. It's not like they're having to work for some outlaw fed in a small town in New Hampshire, where some mark who never cut it elsewhere makes himself the champion. 

bully-ray-15-photo-credit-ring-of-honor-

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

It is not entirely clear if NJPW wrestlers are actually talking shit about RoH or is someone making that stuff up.

11 minutes ago, Archibald said:

It is not entirely clear if NJPW wrestlers are actually talking shit about RoH or is someone making that stuff up.

"Someone"...

See above post.

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2019 at 6:09 PM, Control said:

like a ... 20% chance this show ends up being really fun, but those aren’t great odds. The challengers are a nice change up from the usual, but none fill me with confidence that the match quality will be where it should be.

Guys... the Yoshitatsu match was legit great and maybe the best TC match this year. Kento worked heel the whole time, and it was glorious.

The Violent Giants/The End match was goofy fun.

Also, isn't Ibushi's contract only 2 years?  He could always leave after those 2 or 3 years if he really wanted his final match with Omega.  They'd be 40, and no guarantee either would have a neck by that point, but would still be a big match.

3 hours ago, alstein said:

Also, isn't Ibushi's contract only 2 years?  He could always leave after those 2 or 3 years if he really wanted his final match with Omega.  They'd be 40, and no guarantee either would have a neck by that point, but would still be a big match.

If I remember correctly, the story is that his contract is "for life," whatever that means. 

Has anyone here been keeping a list of 2019 deathmatch MOTYCs? Or know of a place that is keeping one? I recently saw Toshiyuki Sakuda for the first time (I pretty much stopped watching new death matches a few years ago but recently GCW and The Wrestlers has reignited my interest in the style) and really enjoyed what I saw of him and the deathmatch itch is starting to develop again. So far I've watched Sakuda vs Takeda from 2/28 and really dug it. I've watched various clips of Sakuda as well. Right after I post this I've got him vs Kasai cued up. What else should I be searching out? If I have to, I'll subscribe BJW's streaming service. DEAN posted a match from Dove in the matches topic that wasn't as heavy on the gimmicks as most deathmatches but was still pretty fun. I know that FREEDOMS is a promotion to watch for. Any others?

January 14 Ito vs. Masaya Takahashi had 344,440 thumbtacks. Kasai - Takeda at Korakuen Hall for Freedoms (Christmas show?). Sakuda is fun because he is not too beat up and beat down by the style yet.

Unlike watching Ryuji Ito who looks like he's about to explode outward from a massive hernia, but he still tries when he has to. Jaki Numazawa on the other hand could barely move last I saw him.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately my mates cannot make the trip and I'm not sure I'm going by myself until I see a lineup. Seeing Liger (he wasn't at the Cow Palace) has me leaning towards going though. 

I thought it was Kenso until JRV said Hase. 

So I have a backlog of NJPW and am trying to catch up to the G1 Climax that aired on AXS within say a week. Next thing I check out is Tanahashi/White. What has aired on AXS that is just so damn good or must see since then? The last match I caught was Sanada/EVIL vs. Suzuki/Zack which was good. I'm hoping things suggested hit somewhere around there at minimum so I'm not watching everything.

• Like 1

The most must-watch stuff (even more so than the big DOMINION matches) were from the BoSJ as the juniors have been having a very good year... but that has almost no bearing on the G1 other than to establish that Ospreay and Shingo are strongest~ so you're in a position where your backlog should be more about storyline relevance than match quality. A lot of little storylines got set up in the New Japan Cup (Ishii/Taichi, Ospreay/Archer, Zack/LIJ and that's just round one), and the top matches from Dontaku and Dominion were eventful. The most essential viewing of the year has been the Madison Square Garden show (sans the RoH matches) but I don't know how the AXS shows work.

• Like 1