DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

I remember when he left DDT that Irie wanted to avoid being tied to one promotion and to work in the United States. STRONGHEARTS gives him a cross-promotional affiliation and maybe a shot at AEW, so this seems a pretty natural fit. 

Edited by Beech27

On 6/18/2019 at 8:45 AM, Archibald said:

Adding more fuel to that Takeover theory: https://www.njpw1972.com/53453

Shibata's Young Lions will be teaming up with KENTA thru the G1.

NJPW released G1 video about Goto:

It is in Japanese and I don't understand anything, but it looks like after the loss to White he went to LA to train with Shibata and his young lions. God, I'm going to look stupid when it ends up meaning nothing.

Just popping in to post that I was able to snag a ticket to the Super J cup show at SFSU. Meltzer noted in his update that the WA show tix were on sale, but within the same link/ release the other shows' ticket links were included. I bought last night, and double checking today, the SF show is listed as SOLD OUT. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I bought last night, and double checking today, the SF show is listed as SOLD OUT. 

Happens to me every once in awhile buying records, where you'll go back and the album will have vanished from the website after your PayPal goes through (then the wave of joy and relief washes over because you were probably worried it would disappear anyway)

• Like 1

Does anyone know why FREEDOMS will often have picture-in-picture shots of the commentators? Every time I watch it (which isn't often but that may change. I'm looking for something to replace FMW/W*ING in my viewing rotation) I mean to ask about it but always forget. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

I think they're doing commentary in post production and just want to show them for live reactions. It's just a thing I've seen other companies do as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Happens to me every once in awhile buying records, where you'll go back and the album will have vanished from the website after your PayPal goes through (then the wave of joy and relief washes over because you were probably worried it would disappear anyway)

Sometimes I'm equally relieved/joyful when I go back to buy a record and it's gone and I realized I may be one Steve Reich or whatever album poorer but I'm $70-something-odd CAD richer. 

• Like 2

It's not especially surprising, but here's at least one data point suggesting Tanahashi is still the most popular wrestler in Japan.

Adjacent note: Moxley noted in an interview that Tanahashi/Suzuki from 2012 KOPW was one of his favorite matches, mentioning specifically the lack of rope running transitions. Though he'd seen VHS tapes before, that was what drew him in to the modern product.

Edited by Beech27

I just watched the Super Juniors final.... That was insane, I watched Dominion last week.Ive been a Subscriber to NJWorld but I dont have time to watch everything, can someone recommend some Matches I should watch from this year that's MOTYC or just important to watch. I'm thinking about ending my WWE Network subscription just to solely focus on New Japan, I'll be on leave from work in a few days, I like to get hip to some of these guys 

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I just watched the Super Juniors final.... That was insane, I watched Dominion last week.Ive been a Subscriber to NJWorld but I dont have time to watch everything, can someone recommend some Matches I should watch from this year that's MOTYC or just important to watch. I'm thinking about ending my WWE Network subscription just to solely focus on New Japan, I'll be on leave from work in a few days, I like to get hip to some of these guys 

I may have gone a little overboard with the suggestions.

El Phantasmo vs. Rocky Romero- BOSJ

Jon Moxley vs. Juice Robinson- BOSJ 

Jon Moxley vs. Shota Umino, plus the backstage stuff- Dominion

Will Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee- Dominion

Will Ospreay vs. Robbie Eagles- BOSJ

ELP/Taiji Ishimori vs. Roppongi 3K

Dragon Lee vs. Taiji Ishimori- Wrestling Dontaku 2019

Okada vs. Sanada- New Japan Cup

Okada vs. Sanada- Wrestling Dontaku 2019

Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb- G1 Supercard

Taiji Ishimori vs. Bandido vs. Dragon Lee- G1 Supercard

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito- New Japan Cup

Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito- G1 Supercard

Kota Ibushi vs.Tetsuya Naito- Dominion

Sho vs. Shingo- BOSJ

ELP vs. Robbie Eagles- BOSJ

Okada vs. Michael Elgin- New Japan Cup

Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii- New Japan Cup

EVIL vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.- New Japan Cup

Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.- New Japan Cup

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi- Dominion

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi- New Japan Cup

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre, Jr- New Japan Cup

Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay- Wrestle Kingdom 13

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kenny Omega- Wrestle Kingdom 13

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I'm watching the Kizuna Road final. Dissension in LIJ?? And why does SANADA look like SUWAMA?

It was basically explained by Kevin Kelly and Chris Charlton (the English announcer) that because it's G1 season, EVIL is going into "every man for himself mentality". Sure, it could lead to EVIL splitting from LIJ, but I don't think it will.

• Like 1

like a ... 20% chance this show ends up being really fun, but those aren’t great odds. The challengers are a nice change up from the usual, but none fill me with confidence that the match quality will be where it should be.

• Like 1

I just sign up for DDT Universe to watch newer stuff from them along with some of the older shows I've seen before. I was looking at checking out the D King Grand Prix tournament, is it worth the watch or just watch the final show?