DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Oh man. Between seeing the news when I came home today and then seeing Jun and Suwama's reactions in this thread...so sad. First time in awhile I can recall a guy passing whom I remember watching consistently from when he debuted on through his run as a top hand. Makes his unplanned run (I forget who got injured but he was someone's replacement) in this past Carny all the more precious, knowing it'll be the last stuff we see from him. RIP. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

4 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

where the blue hell is KENTA? it's been 3 months since release. more.

From the looks of his last tweeted pic a week ago, the Gym.

I'm sitting here watching an awesome match between Kento Miyahara and KAI for the TCC. What's up with all the Mark's on KAI's body? Was he in a bad accident or something?

AJPW's rings are kinda cool-looking!

EDIT: Totally not trying to make fun of the guy, especially with what happened with Aoki, just something I was curious about. 

Edited by Thomas Bugg

6 hours ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I'm sitting here watching an awesome match between Kento Miyahara and KAI for the TCC. What's up with all the Mark's on KAI's body? Was he in a bad accident or something?

AJPW's rings are kinda cool-looking!

EDIT: Totally not trying to make fun of the guy, especially with what happened with Aoki, just something I was curious about. 

He's a FMW and Onita mark and wrestled a lot of shows with Onita over the last few years of his career, so did hardcore stuff. Same applies to Shingo Takagi and why KAI and him were linked in DG when he was still in the company.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Huge news:

With the right guys, I can see this drawing better than the last California show.

I’ll be at SF for sure. I’ll have to think about Long Beach but this is a very pleasant surprise. 

• Like 2

Incredibly savvy. It's not news to anyone here, but before Meltz started dumping out snowflakes the Super J Cup had more name value to Western fans than anything NJPW had done in its entire history. The only downside to this announcement is it made me remember the absolute booking atrocity that was the 2016 edition.

I never got to attend ANY NJPW shows and I've wanted to do so since I was a teenager. I never even got to see the East Coast Invasion Attack in 2011 (by the way, are those full events available ANYWHERE???). This is probably the last chance I'll have to see Jushin Liger live, so I'm not going to miss it for the world. 

I've been trying to catch up on some of the AJPW I've been sleeping on. Watched the 5/20 show. Thoughts:

• The All Asia tag was really good. I've never seen the BJ wrestlers before. The guy in the karate pants sucked. The other guy seemed good.
  • Fans were on fire for this, which was nice to see. For AJ generally, for the BJ-AJ rivalry, and for the All Asia titles specifically.
  • Lads, I think Zeus is balding. He will look good with a chrome dome but I seriously think he needs another TC run before he's forced to shave his head.
  • Aoki vs Iwamoto was really good. At the time, they got a lot of grief on English-language puro Twitter for this booking--and rightfully so, since Iwamoto is their best guy and Aoki has had some lackluster title reigns. But the fans fucking loved Aoki, and this was so much better than his previous run as champ.
  • Shuji vs Kento was good. I think the reason no one has talked about it is that we just saw them in the CC and that match was probably better.
  • I say it all the time, but Shuji's arsenal seems almost too devastating. Like, if he runs across the ring and knees you flush in the face and then gives you a spike piledriver and you kick out at two, what the fuck is supposed to be a finisher?
  • This is not Kento's best performance. He's still the champ of ramping up the drama, and it's easy to love the guy, but he had some sloppy moves and spotty selling.
  • But the real dud is ref Wada, who just sucks a big one here. His counts kept getting longer and longer, to a really comical degree.
  • Still, watch it to see Shuji just completely shit stomp Kento.

So, top matches are all really good, even if I was hoping for more out of the main event.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Control said:

I've been trying to catch up on some of the AJPW I've been sleeping on. Watched the 5/20 show. Thoughts:

What you described sounds like a decent show. Does AJPW have a streaming service? Or does someone upload the shit on Dailymotion?

Just now, Thomas Bugg said:

What you described sounds like a decent show. Does AJPW have a streaming service? Or does someone upload the shit on Dailymotion?

They have a streaming service! www.ajpw.tv

It's like $11 Canadian a month (so like $8.50 US I guess.) They have a crappy back catalogue, but almost every show gets posted, and on bigger tours a lot of them are live. You get all of the last two champions carnivals, and those are worthwhile.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Control said:

They have a streaming service! www.ajpw.tv

It's like $11 Canadian a month (so like $8.50 US I guess.) They have a crappy back catalogue, but almost every show gets posted, and on bigger tours a lot of them are live. You get all of the last two champions carnivals, and those are worthwhile.

That's not bad at all. Any 90's shit on there? If I spot anything from Jumbo, Hansen or Misawa, WWE Network can kick rocks. 

Edited by Thomas Bugg
Aww fuck, I just looked it up on Wikipedia and nothing from the 90's is on there due to Nippon TV owning the rights to that footage. I hope they don't scour YouTube or Dailymotion or else we're all fucked! :'(

21 hours ago, Control said:

• Lads, I think Zeus is balding. He will look good with a chrome dome but I seriously think he needs another TC run before he's forced to shave his head.

I think he knows it, too, cuz he went back to the blonde dye job which really camouflages the thinning!