DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

They have scheduled 14 shows + finals. So logistically they can't really do 20 people tournament since that would require 18 shows + finals. Obviously in theory they could do 4 shows with 10 single matches so number of shows doesn't rule it out entirely. But still, I'm sceptical. And well they have 19 people there and El Phantasmo got teaser videos during NJ Cup so that would mean that Hiromu is 100% not in this and then you kinda would have to question logic behind Ryogoku finals as well.

No way Rocky and Taka are in this year.  It would be a bit of a surprise to see Ospreay bumped back down to junior after a successful heavyweight transition, but he is in that junior tag at Dontaku, so maybe they think they need him to draw at Ryogoku.

You would assume Phantasmo would be in, and if that’s the case, hopefully Robbie Eagles is out, too.  1) He sucks.  2) That would be 3 BC guys, which is...a lot.  The year they had a bunch of Suzuki-gun guys in it was really weird and not great besides Taichi emerging.

Very minor and probably completely irrelevant thing that I noticed while watching NJPW's free match on Youtube (Hashimo vs Muto Battle Filans 93) - they removed Okada from start and ending of the video. Now they have some NJPW world adverts instead.

13 hours ago, EVA said:

You would assume Phantasmo would be in, and if that’s the case, hopefully Robbie Eagles is out, too.  1) He sucks.  2) That would be 3 BC guys, which is...a lot.  The year they had a bunch of Suzuki-gun guys in it was really weird and not great besides Taichi emerging.

Strongly disagree about Robbie, I just don't know what's not working in Japan that does work here in Australia. I'm hoping that being in the Super Jrs and getting more time on a long tour to adapt might change things.

I think Hiromu will be in. Booking Ryogoku wouldn't make sense otherwise. I'm guessing it will be a surprise Korakuen announcement to pop the crowd. 

Robbie strikes me as everything wrong with indie wrestling. Terrible look, shitty offense that he often rushes through with no emotion, and more focuses on going back and forth with contrived moves than telling a story. I've only seen him in PWG and NJPW though, but I can't imagine there's a huge difference elsewhere. 

Well probably thats why we have Eagles and Mikey in NJPW. Won't be surprised if both of them will get title shots at this show. Eagles/Dragon Lee (or Hiromu if he returns) and Jay White/Mikey (assuming that White beats Juice for USA title at Dominion)?

On the topic of NJPW in Australia, Fale released a documentary about their previous Australian tour:

Nothing really mind blowing and it doesn't reveal much if anything that we didn't know already, but it was an enjoyable watch. And I'm sure that Fale tried to put himself over in this, but at the same time it looks like he is going to have job in NJPW for life even when he stops wrestling.

Inoki-ism is pro wrestlers are the strongest. Also different style fights with pro wrestler vs other martial arts or fighting styles. There's other isms like Choshu-ism, power moves and speed with the other NJPW elements of old.

15 hours ago, Control said:

Does anyone listen to the Eastern Lariat podcast, and if so, could you tell me how much of the CC they cover? Still behind and want to remain unspoiled.

They've covered pretty much all of it so far, from day one until last week.  

• Thanks 1

During the CC, when dudes are brawling outside the ring, the announcer says “*something* kudasai.” I know kudasai is please. What’s the other part? Is he asking the wrestlers to return to the ring, or telling the crowd to watch out?

20 hours ago, Control said:

During the CC, when dudes are brawling outside the ring, the announcer says “*something* kudasai.” I know kudasai is please. What’s the other part? Is he asking the wrestlers to return to the ring, or telling the crowd to watch out?

I *think* they are saying お気を付けください (oki o tsuke kudasai) which is them telling the crowd to be careful.

When they first hit the outside at the nine minute or so mark the announcer doesn't say anything because the guard rails are there. He does say it when Aoki takes Miyahara into the seats a few minutes later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1