DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Charisma is not a problem in his case, he's got plenty of that.  The rest is a bit suspect, although it seems that he's fundamentally pretty solid.  If you've never seen him, he's worth a look because he's such a goof.  A good goof or a bad goof, that's up to the viewer.  

• Like 1

While I don't think it was on the level of Omega/Tanahashi, the Violence Giants/Strong BJ tag is in that secondary, so close category for me alongside Devlin's two big OTT matches from this year, Kyona/Momo and a couple of Miyahara matches (gonna jump into the NJ Cup and 16 Carat this week hopefully. Ppl seem to love Marufuji/Kiyomiya so I'll give it a shot even if I don't care for either guy that much.). Testosterone was off the fucking charts in this so if you don't love Tanahashi and Omega and prefer four beefy dudes growling and clubbering, this is about as good of a match that style can produce and I get it. I love it and there is something entirely wonderful in the match's simplicity and purity. And it's not as if they aren't paying attention and just hitting each other hard either. Okabayashi and Ishikawa in particular were monsters together in this. The one double lariat near the end was perhaps the greatest I've ever seen. The main thing that drags it away from perfection is they didn't finish it when the crowd was at its hottest. There was definitely a drop off for the last few minutes. I would be more than okay if Strong BJ were to get a rematch and I hope they keep working the big AJPW shows. Was so nice to see a packed Korakuen for somebody other than NJ and DG. The company is on fire right now... If only they had last year's CC lineup.

Miyahara vs. Nomura was excellent too. I actually think I still prefer the KAI match to his other defenses so far this year but this was still really fun and Nomura was very good here as well. Only saw the ending of the Jr match but those violent judo tosses at the end won me over. I may go back and watch the whole thing. 

• Like 2

The thing both the Kai and Nomura matches had in common was Kento doubtlessly being the favorite, and working that way. I know him playing underdog is what bumped All Japan’s attendance back up, but I really prefer him now that he’s grown into his arroagance and viciousness. Nomura brought a ton of fire.

I’m not crazy high on Kaito/Marafuji, but that’s mostly because I just haven’t totally come around on Kiyomiya yet. He’s just a cipher to me, right now. But I do think he’ll get there.

Edited by Beech27

yeah you can see why there's a semi-puro hardcore wave migrating toward it (the hardcore were there already) because it is good wrestling done well, there's loads of promising guys, they get people in from other places so it doesn't get too stale (small roster though), and now the crowds are starting to pop it makes it a lot easier to watch. all hail King Jun.

• Like 2

I would love to see him in a Carnival even if it wasn't an actual jump. Have a run like Marufuji did.

Although winning the CC and then getting beat in the TC match wouldn't help with the choke artist label.

Nor would it help the company if he won, really. For Goto to have your top belt, he has to win it, which means he has to beat the guy who had it, which means that guy lost the top belt to Goto. I think you could still make it work with an older guy who isn’t getting bigger—Shiozaki or Doering or someone like that—but there’s still risk. Plus twitter tells me Goto is very comfortable, financially and otherwise.

I know I posted his tweet, though, so this conversation does interest me. More likely to leave I think is DBS Jr—another guy we’ve speculated on. After losing to Yano and wrestling on that memoria show, he responded to and liked a tweet from Erick Stevens (remember him?) suggesting he might could go elsewhere. So. That’s some sleuthing done.

Edited by Beech27

watched the rest of that AJPW show. Iwamoto is very fun isn't he? Love him just hurling people around. Strong juniors are fun. Kotaro started slow and his control portion only got interesting with that pair of knee strikes, but once it clicked it was great, even with a Kotaro slip running the turnbuckle. Probably my favourite show since G1 that isn't WK (joint with NJ Cup semi).

Those crazy pictures DZ posted in the photos thread made me go ahead and find the match on Youtube. Here it is if you want to watch it: 

VIOLENCE GIANTS vs. STRONG BJ

EDIT: And of course this isn't the right match. Anyone steer me to it?

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 3/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, Beech27 said:

Nor would it help the company if he won, really. For Goto to have your top belt, he has to win it, which means he has to beat the guy who had it, which means that guy lost the top belt to Goto. I think you could still make it work with an older guy who isn’t getting bigger—Shiozaki or Doering or someone like that—but there’s still risk. Plus twitter tells me Goto is very comfortable, financially and otherwise.

I know I posted his tweet, though, so this conversation does interest me. More likely to leave I think is DBS Jr—another guy we’ve speculated on. After losing to Yano and wrestling on that memoria show, he responded to and liked a tweet from Erick Stevens (remember him?) suggesting he might could go elsewhere. So. That’s some sleuthing done.

Goto is best served in a tag team at this point.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Those crazy pictures DZ posted in the photos thread made me go ahead and find the match on Youtube. Here it is if you want to watch it: 

VIOLENCE GIANTS vs. STRONG BJ

EDIT: And of course this isn't the right match. Anyone steer me to it?

I have the link but it's in Rutube or Youku.