DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Nomura said he was tired of the post match nextream skits, and wants to remove them. Wants to have a short 10 min or so match as well. Prefers fighting over performance.

Mentioned Kobashi style matches too.

• Like 1

I discovered a YouTube channel called Cactus Back Wrestling. It has a decent selection of old school matches from the JWA, some AJPW, and other miscellaneous matches. I figured I pass it along for those who like to watch older matches or newer fans who want to see. All I got to say is young Giant Baba is fun to watch.

• Like 4

Finally took advantage of my ajpwtv subscription and watched the top two matches from today’s show live as they happened. The wonders of technology!

Anyway, VG vs Strong BJ was off the chain. A couple of Twitterers calling it MOTY. Your opinion will probably be swayed by how high you rank beefiness as a Lin aesthetic category when judging the quality of matches.

I’m always surprised by how big Ishikawa is. Dude makes Strong BJ look like juniors.

Nomura and Kento was quite good. Couple of awkward spots due to Nomura, but kid makes up for it with fire.

The whole show was probably the best show I’ve seen this year. Those last 3 matches were lights out. Iwamoto/Suzuki was great. Iwamoto is making a bit of dark horse WOTY case right now. Strong BJ/Violent Giants was fucking amazing. A 25 minute bomb fest with tremendous heat and intensity that was compelling at every moment. Definitely my MOTY. And the main event was fantastic, an amazing showcase for Nomura and Kento’s strongest performance in a while as the dominant ace looking to prove that this young upstart ain’t worth shit. I’d say this was the 3rd best match I’ve seen so far in 2019. Two top 3 MOTYs and another great match plus a fun undercard. All Japan is on a roll right now. I’m so excited for Champion Carnival.

I need to rewatch the show as a whole when I’m less tired but those last three matches totally delivered. All three had fantastic near falls, home stretches and maintained a level of physicality and intensity. 

Jr. title was a great sprint that was a paga from the getgo and only got stiffer. I’m not sure how great the tag title match was but it was pretty great. Crowd was off the hook and the four of them just laid it in with no pit stops. 

Miyahara ruled in the main. Just a great cocky vet who couldn’t put the youngster away. Nomura totally brought the Kobashi fire and the stretch was totally compelling. I feel the beginning of a great AJPW rivalry. 

I’d go ****, ****1/2 and ****1/4 for flakes but that might increase with less jaded second viewing.

Carnival time please!

Edited by matwarz

I really enjoyed all the top matches from the NOAH show on Sunday. Go/Sugiura & Marufuji/Ogawa especially. They livestreamed it on their Youtube channel, but now they've split it up into the individual matches. I hope they start doing that more often, or maybe even start a streaming service if the numbers are good enough.

The article mentions Mutoh changing his style decades ago, Tanahashi wanting to do something similar and will Tanahashi change his finisher (not full retirement of the high fly flow though) Tanahashi said his knees are worse now.

Mentioned Fujinami Dragon System in a way.

So, he'll go back to wrestling how he did until he started relying around the frog splash. Not significantly different than he wrestles now. A lot like he wrestled for all of the 2000s. Focus on the Cloverleaf and Dragon Suplex as finishers again and he'll be good to go.

Edited by Ryan

Ishikawa is the tallest active wrestler in Japan of Japanese descent(that I know of, might be some random indy guy out there I don't know about)and listed at 6'5", same height Takayama was at one point. They were eye to eye in the one match I recall both were in long ago. Conversely, Sekimoto and Okabayashi are fairly short by Japanese heavyweight standards and AJPW in particular. Both are around 5'9", maybe less legit. Just swole as hell. For contrast Taue was listed at 6'4", Baba at like 6'9".

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1