- Maybach Taniguchi & Yuji Hino  
- Takashi Sugiura & KAZMA SAKAMOTO 
- Atsushi Kotoge & Mitsuya Nagai  
- Akitoshi Saito & Masao Inoue 
- Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura

59 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

They don't look to be setting up the G1 USA arena for a big crowd 

sANNuF0.jpg

They didn’t open the upper level, but also when you look at the seats that are still available, it seems weird that the entire back halves of sections 111-114 are totally gone. Not sure if that was a much lower price point so people grabbed them but it seems like those were never put up for sale either. 

6 hours ago, Control said:

Good for Nomura, but the challenger always pins Kento in a tag. It’s actually pretty tired and predictable at this point.

Not true at all. Suwama didn't pin him.

He choked him out. ?

• Like 2

No, they're going to conquer the world. Once they announce Tenzan and Nakanishi are coming, it will sell out.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oof. Only 1,600 tickets sold the first day for the G1 show.

So if this thing bottoms out, is this pretty much the beginning of the end of the "US expansion?"

If the MSG show delivers I could see them getting a good bump that week, and depending on the lineup that gets announced, I could see a bump then too. If they announce an Okada vs Tanahashi level draw I could maybe see a bump then. 

But yeah, they may be a year too late on pulling the trigger for a true G1 Night One in the U.S. 

It's also possible that Dallas may have been the wrong city to try to run that in. As much as we like to say they have run Southern California too much, that may have been the smartest choice for drawing a house, or perhaps a centrally located Southern city like Atlanta that's a relatively painless drive for hardcore fans willing to road trip from Carolinas or Florida, or back to Chicago where All In did so well.

I scratched my head thinking "why Dallas?" when this got announced. I am curious of what strategy led to that beyond the rumored "it's a large U.S. arena we can get for cheap because of the AXS partnership."

54 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oof. Only 1,600 tickets sold the first day for the G1 show.

So if this thing bottoms out, is this pretty much the beginning of the end of the "US expansion?"

I wish, but it'll probably pick up when they announce blocks and matches for those first days.  Opening days usually have some big time matches historically, but with NJPW's treatment of the US thus far, they could totally toss out a Kagawa Gym show than a Korakuen Hall show.

The schedule is really full as well. We’ve got:

April 6 - Madison Square Garden

May 25 - MGM Grand Garden Arena 

July 6 - American Airlines Center

August 31 - Sears Center or United Center

Thats almost every month through the summer having a major non wwe show, two years ago this was unimaginable. I think we’ve reached the tipping point and now it’s a little too much for that demand. 

Plus the creation of aew hurts new japan in the us, losing the elite hurts new japan in the us. Ticket prices too high, etc. There will be a slight bump after msg and again when they announce the matches, but majority of tickets for any type of event sell on the first day. Everyone who really wants to go has a ticket already. (When the show was announced I was fully planning to go for about four minutes. Started looking for flights on my phone and when I typed in the dates I realized that’s my little ones first birthday weekend, so that shut that down for me). 

I'm not sure if it is 100% since I'm reposting what Dave supposedly wrote:

The 8/31 show at the Cooper Box Arena in London sold 4,500 tickets for the pre-sale (the place will be set up for about 7,500) and they were holding a lot of tickets back for the public sale which starts on 3/14. Ospreay was the first name announced and Ibushi should be announced imminently. It’s going to be a major show with most of the top stars, including a major star who has been out of action for a long time is expected back. I don’t know the identity but it’s been expected for a long time that Hiromu Takahashi would be back at some point around mid-year. The hoped for plan is with a good showing here, it will lead to a several city tour of the U.K. in 2020.

I find it a bit interesting that they are doing noticeably better in UK than in USA for G1:

1. Last year they did two shows that sold around 2000-2500 tickets. They had some drama and questioning if it was really NJPW shows or RevPro shows so I could see how some people treat this as "first real NJPW" show in UK even if I disagree with that statement.

2. Is this a proof that people still care about wrestler's nationality? NJPW lost their biggest USA/Canadian stars, but still got Ospreay and ZSJ.

3. Geography probably plays important part here as well, it is way easier to get to London from various parts of UK (or even outside of UK) than to fly from one side of USA to another.

4. As often is the case in such matters I saw some talks about "who are the real fans" and I think that this point is also somewhat relevant. I always found it annoying that many people were praising NJPW and being happy about its growth because they thought that this would force WWE to be better. And they'd have crazy weird ideas about how NJPW should change that or this that would make it more similar to USA promotion. So it is natural that once AEW became hot new thing then most of these people moved away from NJPW. I tend to hate these "you are not real fan" arguments, but I think it has some legs in this case.

Guest Edwin

Hideki Sekine is a former MMA fighter with a grappling background. He has also competed in ADCC grappling competitions. I remember him fighting mostly on DEEP cards in Korakuen Hall.

Aside from fighting under his real name, he also fought as Big Body under a mask.

His grappling skills are excellent, so I'd be thrilled for those of you following All Japan if he can transition over.