DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

7 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

Fumi Saito seems to think KENTA is going to New Japan

Listened to that and it was just his opinion that there are so many dream matches available in NJPW compared to declining in NOAH (I think that's what he said about green mat).

Seems like everybody is talking about KENTA being a junior if he goes to NJPW. Is that necessarily the case? I don't think he'd want to be doing that at his age and when, as Fumi said, there are so many appealing big matches with the big boys. Fumi also said that there isn't a big crossover of WWE fans in Japan and NOAH/NJPW fans and that his failure of a run wouldn't really hurt his name value in Japan so much.

Here's the full card for the Baba show. From Purolove.

Giant Baba Death 20th Memorial Box Office Committee Produce "GIANT BABA DEATH 20TH MEMORIAL BOX OFFICE ~ OJA NO TAMASHI* ~ ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER RETIREMENT MEMORIAL ~ SARABA JUJUTSUSHI", 19.02.2019 
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan 

-. Giant Baba Memorial Battle Royal, Referee: Mighty Inoue: Mitsuo Momota, Kim Duk, Joel Deaton, MEN's Teioh, TARU, Ryuji Hijikata, Yuto Aijima, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, Masahito Kakihara, Masao Inoue, Tamon Honda, Yasu Urano 
-. Kazushi Miyamoto, Tomohiko Hashimoto, Daichi Hashimoto  & Takuya Nomura  vs. Tomoaki Honma, Yuji Okabayashi , Naoya Nomura  & Ren Narita 
-. Taichi , Yoshinobu Kanemaru & TAKA Michinoku vs. Masanobu Fuchi , Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Yuma Aoyagi  
-. Special 3 Way Tag Match: SANADA & BUSHI  vs. Jake Lee  & Koji Iwamoto  vs. Ayato Yoshida  & Shota Umino  
-. Street Fight Tornado Bonkhouse Death Match: Atsushi Onita, Kendo Kashin, Hideki Suzuki & Hideki Hosaka vs. Great Kojika , Mitsuya Nagai , Shuji Ishikawa  & Hikaru Sato 
-. Satoshi Kojima , Yuji Nagata  & Osamu Nishimura vs. Jun Akiyama , Takao Omori  & Taiyo Kea 
-. Naomichi Marufuji  & Jinsei Shinzaki  vs. Masaaki Mochizuki  & Shun Skywalker  
-. Mil Mascaras & Dos Caras vs. Kaz Hayashi  & NOSAWA Rongai 
-. Hiroshi Tanahashi  & Yoshitatsu vs. Kento Miyahara  & Daisuke.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

So much potential and it looks like a random match generator aside from three quarters of the main event being incredible (& Kento Miyahara too).

Hey!

Is this going to be available anywhere?

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

From what I thought I understood, Kawato was pretty awful at first, particularly being very unsafe in terms of missing catches, but had been doing slightly better in the last few months. Or maybe he's just been pushed down the card, I don't know, I haven't had real TV in awhile and am way out of the CMLL loop.

He is safer now, but still often does things that make you wonder what the fuck is going on there.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Seems like everybody is talking about KENTA being a junior if he goes to NJPW. Is that necessarily the case?

Not at all, but I think people--myself included--are drawing a line from Kushida's departure and Ospreay's promotion to KENTA asking for his release. The timing just seems to work out. If they're serious about treating the NEVER title as openweight, I could see him slotting comfortably into that hard-hitting lineage, but I just don't see them pushing a smaller outsider, 37-years-old with a history of injuries, further up the card than that. He's one of my all-time favorites and I'd love more--my fantasy booking would be Shibata essentially endorsing him as New Japan's new factionless shitkicker... but Shibata himself never got past the NEVER belt, and you could do that with KENTA as a junior as well. 

All of that said, I'd probably prefer to see him go home to NOAH, even if I couldn't watch him as easily. But I understand that New Japan would pay better and probably be lighter work for him, ultimately. I'm sure Shingo's enjoying his checks-to-work ratio, compared to his last few years. 

Spoiler

It probably doesn't need a spoiler since the result was a foregone conclusion, but Kaito retained, and Marafuji is the next challenger.

Eddie Edwards is also back, and I could see him as another Kaito defense, assuming he beats Marafuji. Which... I tend to think he will. It feels like they did Kenoh so quickly in order to build back around to it after a pretty long run.

If KENTA does come back, that might change things.

NOAH results/things.

• Like 1

that Baba card is a total mess but of the kind that appeals to me. I also think it's a legitimately hot main event.

DAVE was putting Masa Fuchi, of all people, over huge on WOR today. Says he's heard D-Bry calling him a big inspiration to his post-comeback in-ring work. Gets loads of out little.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beech27 said:
  Hide contents

It probably doesn't need a spoiler since the result was a foregone conclusion, but Kaito retained, and Marafuji is the next challenger.

Eddie Edwards is also back, and I could see him as another Kaito defense, assuming he beats Marafuji. Which... I tend to think he will. It feels like they did Kenoh so quickly in order to build back around to it after a pretty long run.

If KENTA does come back, that might change things.

NOAH results/things.

I think that if Kaito lost then it would kinda reset all his progress. So he won tournament and defeated Seguira only because Marufuji was injured. He has to beat him to show that it wasn't a lucky moment for him.

8 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

that Baba card is a total mess but of the kind that appeals to me. I also think it's a legitimately hot main event.

DAVE was putting Masa Fuchi, of all people, over huge on WOR today. Says he's heard D-Bry calling him a big inspiration to his post-comeback in-ring work. Gets loads of out little.

Fuchi is a guy who Dave probably doesn't fully appreciate until somebody like Bryan says stuff like that. He was in a tonne of highly rated matches, don't get me wrong, but he's not a traditional Dave guy.

Also what's to stop Omega from doing the same thing with NJPW and AEW? Because he'd be appearing for AEW more frequently? I don't get it. Fuck off ROH.

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Also what's to stop Omega from doing the same thing with NJPW and AEW? Because he'd be appearing for AEW more frequently? I don't get it. Fuck off ROH.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with RoH considering that by the looks of it NJPW and AEW won't have relationship. If Omega stays then it is similar deal to what Jericho probably got. Which might look a bit weird that top guys from AEW continue working another promotion that could be considered rival/competitor.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Control said:

Sekimoto is defending the Z1 and BJP titles against Yuji Hino next month, in what is sure to be an extra beefy battle.

This was today. Dont think it will be televised, but you can watch a clip here

• Haha 3

On 1/30/2019 at 7:13 AM, Beech27 said:

If you want to be conspiratorial, Chris Charlton has retweeted this and several of KENTA’s... which may be nothing, but he only really posts about New Japan. So. I guess what I’m saying is KENTA is back and Shibata is cleared and TAKEOVER is going to... well, it’s in the name. 

Or maybe he’ll do the freelance thing I mentioned earlier. Or just go back to NOAH.  

If we are working with the idea that Charlton is posting only NJPW related things then this might also be interesting: