DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

The Kenoh stuff is a work. The new owners could still change stuff around if it's not meeting expectations.

Anyway other news.

"GIANT BABA DEATH 20TH ANNIVERSARY MEMORIAL SHOW ~ KING'S SOUL & ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER RETIREMENT MEMORIAL ~ FAREWELL SHAMAN", 19.02.2019 
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan 

- Taichi , Yoshinobu Kanemaru & TAKA Michinoku vs. Masanobu Fuchi , Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Yuma Aoyagi  
- Special 3 Way Match: SANADA  & BUSHI  vs. Jake Lee  & Koji Iwamoto  vs. Ayato Yoshida & Shota Umino  
- Giant Baba Memorial Battle Royal: Kim Duk, Mitsuo Momota, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, Masao Orihara, Masahito Kakihara, Masao Inoue, MEN's Teioh, Tamon Honda, Yuto Aijima, TARU, Ryuji Hijikata, etc. 
- Street Fight Tornado Bonkhouse Death Match: Atsushi Onita, Kendo Kashin, Hideki Suzuki & Hideki Hosaka vs. Great Kojika , Mitsuya Nagai , Shuji Ishikawa  & Hikaru Sato 
- Satoshi Kojima , Yuji Nagata  & Osamu Nishimura vs. Jun Akiyama , Takao Omori  & Taiyo Kea 
- Mil Máscaras & Kaz Hayashi  vs. Dos Caras & NOSAWA Rongai 

Hiroshi Tanahashi , Tomoaki Honma , Kento Miyahara , Daisuke Sekimoto , Naomichi Marufuji , Kazushi Miyamoto, Tomohiko Hashimoto

If you want to be conspiratorial, Chris Charlton has retweeted this and several of KENTA’s... which may be nothing, but he only really posts about New Japan. So. I guess what I’m saying is KENTA is back and Shibata is cleared and TAKEOVER is going to... well, it’s in the name. 

Or maybe he’ll do the freelance thing I mentioned earlier. Or just go back to NOAH.  

• Like 2

I did a search on here and didn't find a discussion on this. If it's been talked to death about, then my bad. Any recommendations on books of the history of Japanese Wrestling? Around the time of JWA and covering the split. 

EDIT: Damn it, there's a whole thread on wrestling books. I'm full of shame.

EDITEDIT: To make this not a wasted post...uh... Favorite Bison Smith in NOAH match?

Edited by OctopusCinema
I'm dumb.

Adding Kenta to BotSJ line-up would probably sell some tickets for that Sumo Hall finals between him and Hiromu. And I'm sure that NOAH fans would love Hiromu beating Kenta in the finals and Ishimori in Dominion.

On the other hand him going back to NOAH would help them a lot.

Either way fun times ahead.

That is the interesting thing:

-Maybe he feels loyal to NOAH; maybe it's too different from the company he left; maybe new ownership will pay well and he finds it a secure landing; maybe he really likes the idea of being presented as a heavyweight again, which NOAH likely would do.

-New Japan, on the other hand, would pay better, just lost KUSHIDA to NXT and Ospreay to heavyweight, and generally needs someone who will kick people rudely. KENTA did also just tweet that he loved ROH, and New Japan now has that relationship.

-Honestly, I think All Japan could use him more than either, since their junior ranks are pretty barren and they lack many credible TC challengers; but unless he's really close with Akiyama, I can't see it being attractive to him.

Still, the numerous options are why I'd prefer to see him go the freelance route, thus leaving all of them open. I'd bet New Japan gets him though, if I had to choose.

NOAH news:

This is going to be tricky. On one hand, if the promotion is ever going to grow it needs to get out of Misawa's shadow; on the other, that's a big shadow. If nothing else I hope this means Kaito gets a gimmick beyond "really really likes Misawa."

While All Japan could use him I don't see him going there, if he is okay with being junior then only NJPW really makes sense I think.

As for getting out of Misawa's shadow, I actually don't want it to happen. I always found it fascinating how Misawa was slowly turning into mythological figure. And I'm not sure if it really caused them problems with growth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Archibald said:

As for getting out of Misawa's shadow, I actually don't want it to happen. I always found it fascinating how Misawa was slowly turning into mythological figure. And I'm not sure if it really caused them problems with growth.

NOAH has had larger problems for sure, and they shouldn't go fully eraser as New Japan has with Inoki, but I do think it's possible to mythologize the past to such an extent that the present and future will always look lesser by comparison. It may be true that NOAH will never again have some of the biggest stars in Japan or do the kind of business it did with Misawa on top, but a company shouldn't invite--and sometimes even celebrate--those unflattering comparisons. Having a giant image of him literally looking over their shows was always especially macabre. (I will miss the green mat, though.)

• Like 1

Shiro Koshinaka Produce "SHIRO KOSHINAKA DEBUT 40TH ANNIVERSARY MEMORIAL EVENT SAMURAI MATSURI ~ HEISEI ISHIN-GUN LAST OF HEISEI", 30.01.2019 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 
1,200 Fans 

1. CARBELL PRESENTS: Takao Omori  & Carbell Ito besiegen Yuma Aoyagi  & Yusuke Okada  (10:14) nach einem Axe Bomber von Omori gegen Okada. 
2. WRESTLE-1 Offer Match: Kaz Hayashi  besiegt Alejandro  (9:58) mit dem Final Cut. 
3. UNPREDICTABLE WORLD: Mitsuya Nagai  & Raijin Yaguchi vs. TAJIRI & Daisuke Sekimoto  - Double DQ (15:11), als Nagai & TAJIRI den Referee mit Poison Mist besprühten. 
4. THE ART OF BATTLE: Tatsumi Fujinami , Kohei Sato  & Go Shiozaki  besiegen NOSAWA Rongai, MADAZA & KAZMA SAKAMOTO (14:40) nach einem Dragon Sleeper von Fujinami gegen NOSAWA. 
5. HEISEI SAMURAI SPIRITS: Shiro Koshinaka, AKIRA, Masashi Aoyagi, Akitoshi Saito  & X = Kengo Mashimo  w/ Great Kabuki besiegen Daichi Hashimoto, Tetsuya Endo , Shotaro Ashino , Kyu Mogami  & Kaito Kiyomiya  (25:15) nach einem Vertical-Drop Brainbuster von Mashimo gegen Mogami. 

• Thanks 1

From what I thought I understood, Kawato was pretty awful at first, particularly being very unsafe in terms of missing catches, but had been doing slightly better in the last few months. Or maybe he's just been pushed down the card, I don't know, I haven't had real TV in awhile and am way out of the CMLL loop.