DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

I never thought he was a great wrestler but always thoroughly enjoyed what he brought to the table. The eight-minute brawl with Ishikawa is still one of the most violent things in a wrestling ring ever. 

EDIT: I have no idea what's going on in that cage match but it's fun seeing Tanahashi with baby fat and anime hair (and bleeding like a stuck pig)

While we're on the subject of cage matches in New Japan, the one between Masahiro Chono and Yoshihiro Takayama at Osaka Dream Night 2003 was either the first or second full Japanese wrestling event I ever saw (the other being Wrestling World 2004). I forget if that card (or even the match itself) is any good, but this conversation jogged my memory about that VHS tape I have buried away somewhere.

Sadly it seems Osaka Dream Night isn't on NJPW World, so I'm stuck looking up stuff on YouTube/Rutube/Dailymotion etc. Since it's 2019 and I don't own a VCR anymore.

17 hours ago, Ryan said:

So long to a great venue.
"- After 46 years the "sacred place of the west", also known as Hakata Star Lanes, will be closed at the end of March. The internal piping and the walls are so obsolete that extensive renovation would be necessary so the building will be dismantled. On March 31st Big Japan and DDT will be the last promotions to run shows there. Both promotions had been using the building for years, Big Japan since their inception in 1995. "
PuroLove

Dammit. Star Lanes is where I've gone to see shows the most. It's close to Hakata Station and could be configured for groups of various sizes (generally only NJPW and Dragon Gate use both sides of the hall these days). I can't even think of where they will run smaller shows from now on.

Or mysterious crushed leg. Who the hell knows but it was late winter/early spring iirc. He is such a crowbar but just an incredible specimen and fun to watch. Spears and jackhammers for everyone. Kitamura vs. Tanahashi at MSG. 

I don't see anything about Kitamura in my usual places, where are you getting this info from?

Anyway, some somewhat related puroresu news from RevPro:

According to cagematch RevPro New Year's Resolution featured Ospreay's NEVER title defence against Chris Brookes. I haven't watched it yet so I'm not sure if it was actually a title defence and if it was any good.

Shigehiro Irie is doing some stuff in RevPro.

And well I can't confirm or deny, but I heard that bunch of recent RevPro shows featuring these guys (and PAC vs ZSJ) are now available on various legit streaming services so you know, check it out if you want.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Shigehiro Irie is doing some stuff in RevPro.

He's been working in Europe for a little now as he's also worked for PROGRESS and wXw.

Was doing some searching to see if Daichi Kamimoto ever returned after retiring back in the 00's and came across this: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=203405

Daisuke Ikeda, Koji Kanemoto & Kotaro Suzuki vs. Daichi Kakimoto, Nobutaka Moribe & Tomohiko Hashimoto

Kakimoto is a guy I think should have a better run outside of DDT along with Hashimoto. Kakimoto was a Jr. heavyweight version of Daisuke Sekimoto. His peak was a KO-D Openweight title match against HARASHIMA which was great, but unfortunately DDT hadn't reached the level of popularity that it's at now. He retired a little after that to work at DDT's Dropkick Bar. He also had a really fun run as a KO-D tag champ with Kota Ibushi when he was still getting his still an up and comer. If you're on DDT Universe, I'd highly recommend you look up some of Kakimoto's stuff.

Hashimoto is another guy I feel should have been given a run in New Japan's Jr. heavyweight division. Extremely talented judoka who even fought in PRIDE and was a big name in early 00's DDT. He was trained by Koichiro Kimura who I also feel  could have peaked outside of the micro indy scene. Hashimoto got lost after a bit in DDT though and began working even smaller indys and was a key member of that Team Vader group.

Murakami was awesome. Anyone got the stills from his match with Enson Inoue where Murakami bled all over the place and got the blood out of his eyes by rubbing his gloves all over his face and then licking the blood off his gloves? 

As a few people have mentioned, his first match with Ishikawa in BattlArts is one of the best things ever. Up there with the first Kawada vs Gary Albright match in terms of short, extremely violent but extremely idiosyncratic matches that I wouldn't be able to help taking with me to a desert island over something more "epic" but much less intense and singular. 

As far as other dudes who could bring the hate back to NJPW with Shibata outs...man so many of the best young badass shoot-style dudes retired early. Naohiro Hosikawa had the tragic injury. Munenori Sawa burned out, some of the lesser known B-Style guys never really went anywhere (I'm thinking Yuta Yoshikawa who retired early and Ryuji Walter who I haven't seen in years). Is Kyosuke Sasaki still around? 

Just coax Maeda back for a few big comeback matches against game opponents who can sell like hell for him...

• Like 1

Kakimoto had a serious neck injury that cut short his career more than anything. Side note: He's Cherry's brother. Hashimoto last time I saw him was gigantic. He's over 300 lb. Not sure where you get Jr. Heavyweight out of him unless he was a LOT skinnier in 2002 than I remember.

tomohiko.jpg

Sawa didn't so much burn out as just not want to work anywhere else after Battlarts closed. He's been around randomly this year. Check him out from the mania weekend stuff he did. Less so, the random salaryman comedy stuff in DDT.

Probably my favorite Murakami match, and up there among Nagata’s best. Recklessly stiff, with maybe too much stooging, stalling, and interference (I love it all though), tons of blood, more stiffness, and an amazingly emphatic finish. 

Sawa versus Jaka at evolve last April was great. Sadly, I think that show was running opposite Ishii’s title win at Rev Pro so it was only about half-full and underhyped. Riddle/Sekimoto was also really good, and had one of the more unique openings I’ve ever seen, in which Daisuke takes a look at Riddle’s bare feet, takes off his own boots, widens his stance, and sumo rushes.

• Like 1

Hashimoto was much slimmer in the early DDT footage I've seen and put on weight when he began fighting MMA.

A lot of the old DDT roster disappeared/most likely went back to working micro indys/retired -- Shoichi Ichimiya, Riki Sensyu, Kenshin, Futoshi Miwa, etc.

I also recall some old IWC guys from Philly doing some tours in Japan. Corey Graves worked for Big Japan and Shiima Xion and Glenn Spectre worked for DDT with Spectre being the most notable teaming with Danshoku Dieno as the Gay Machine Guns winning the KO-D tag title.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

He is Fuka's brother, you know Fuka Kakimoto.

How dare you be correct. I think I read that somewhere once and it stuck with me. My mistake.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Suwama should beat Kento for the crown. Then they should book Jake Lee to win the carnival and then dethrone Suwama.

What, two champions in between Miyahara reigns? That's crazy talk.

(Yes, I know it happened once)