DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I'm taking a guess...

Hurt is not really a Doctor, but is in fact The Master, and has somehow given the Doctor fake memories.

I'm guessing (like many others) that he's either the eighth doctor, or a regeneration between McGann and Eccleston. Either way, he'll be the Doctor who fought the Time War

I'm pretty sure that its established (End of Time) that The Doctor *was* the person that basically wiped Gallefrey and Skarro from existance to end the War, and only a handful of Daleks got away (enough to repopulate) and that the Time Lords unsuccessfully used The Master as a beacon to escape.  

Couple stills showed that Hurt's wearing clothing similar to 8, with an overcoat.

If Hurt's supposed to be an older 8, I don't know why they just didn't go get McGann, he's still working.   Hurt's probably the real 9 and we're just going to have to change the numbers for Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith.

As a who fan boy, i dont think Moffat would do anything that would cause renumbering of the Doctors.

The most logical answer, even before seeing this footage, is that he's the eighth doctor, the one doctor whose regeneration we have not seen on screen, either old or worn out from the Time War.

I think every indication is that they're inserting Hurt into the gap when the show was off the air, that we'll get a minisode with McGann regenerating into Hurt, that Hurt is the one who ended the time war and killed the Time Lords/Daleks, and that they then do not consider him a "doctor" since he committed acts that do not deserve the name.  

The only question is whether or not the regeneration from McGann to Hurt happened before the beginning of the time war or not. I think from everything we've seen any other possibility is extremely unlikely. Extremely. 

As a who fan boy, i dont think Moffat would do anything that would cause renumbering of the Doctors.The most logical answer, even before seeing this footage, is that he's the eighth doctor, the one doctor whose regeneration we have not seen on screen, either old or worn out from the Time War.

Again, not complaining about the use of Hurt, but McGann played 8 15 years ago.  If Hurt is just 8, why not save a few bucks (because I'm sure as hell Hurt ain't cheap) and just get McGann.

As a who fan boy, i dont think Moffat would do anything that would cause renumbering of the Doctors.The most logical answer, even before seeing this footage, is that he's the eighth doctor, the one doctor whose regeneration we have not seen on screen, either old or worn out from the Time War.

Again, not complaining about the use of Hurt, but McGann played 8 15 years ago.  If Hurt is just 8, why not save a few bucks (because I'm sure as hell Hurt ain't cheap) and just get McGann.

Because the cliffhanger wouldn't have worked then?

There's also this: Moffat's staying another year. 11 is regenerating. If 11 is really 12, then Moffat gets to tell the story of the doctor's last life which is something the egomaniac in him would jump at, I think.

Unless they get rid of / have gotten rid of the 12 regeneration rule.

There's also this: Moffat's staying another year. 11 is regenerating. If 11 is really 12, then Moffat gets to tell the story of the doctor's last life which is something the egomaniac in him would jump at, I think.

I still think they can get around it somehow by using a similar explanation to how the Master received another regeneration.

Way more conceptually interesting than falling off an exercise bike.

I still think they can get around it somehow by using a similar explanation to how the Master received another regeneration.

The thing is, that for a time, I don't think Moffat WANTS to get around it. I think he wants to delve in and really milk its for its dramatic gravitas.