DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Doctor Who's Facebook page asked for your favourite Who moments of the last ten years. Mine: David Tennant's farewell regeneration to Matt Smith's Doctor. The Eleventh Hour which is my favourite Doctor Who episode ever, The Doctor' Wife is great. The ending to Vincent and the Doctor always makes me cry.

My pick was unsurprisingly a radio moment: the Doctor deliberately letting the Weeping Angels have The Monk toward the end of Doom Coalition--effectively removing the Monk from ever meddling again without actually hurting him, and making good on promises made in "To the Death".  It was gut wrenching and cathartic and fits very well with where 8 has to go to get to the Time War.

So...nobody has anything to say about the holiday special?  I thought it was good, not great.  annoyed at a cliffhanger on a holiday special, even if it's doubling as a season premiere.  "Day of the Master Parts 1 and 2" was the better Who experience on my NYD.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

So...nobody has anything to say about the holiday special?  I thought it was good, not great.  annoyed at a cliffhanger on a holiday special, even if it's doubling as a season premiere.  "Day of the Master Parts 1 and 2" was the better Who experience on my NYD.

It felt a bit more like Who than last season, for good or ill (I'd say good, probably). More running. The reveal worked well. I had gotten spoiled to a degree by checking twitter to see if the episode was over in the UK so I could go searching for it so as not to disrupt the 7 year old's bedtime. The 17 year old was wowed by it though. I liked Fry and wish we had more of him. Hopefully some of the companion difficulty in their real lives stuff sticks. 

But it just doesn't feel important anymore. Maybe that's because they went away from having episodes that felt like they "counted" and would change everything or maybe it's because the long-long gap. 

I was glad that the 17 year old still even cared. I had real doubts there even though it was his favorite thing for years. A year and a month is an eternity in media today.

• Like 1

Spoilers!! Apparently the big reveal at the end of this series of Doctor Who is that the Doctor is just an ordinary woman trapped in the seaside town of Broadchurch, who, following various traumatic events in her personal life has retreated into a fantasy world where she travels through time and space solving everyone elses problems, but never her own. Thats why so many people in Broadchurch look like characters from Doctor Who! Really! Its all connected!

From Paul Grist’s FB 

• Haha 2

Gallifrey was saved in the lil' bubble universe during Day of the Doctor, but since then The Master has been back and done things.  I'm not sure when Gallifrey became a transversible location again, probably this episode?

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, Bustronaut said:

Gallifrey was saved in the lil' bubble universe during Day of the Doctor, but since then The Master has been back and done things.  I'm not sure when Gallifrey became a transversible location again, probably this episode?

They sure have made a good point of making the once all powerful Galifreyans into a defenseless welp of a race.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Biggest issue is that they dropped this with a year or something til we have more. Honestly, if the show is going to play with things this big, then it should be 80% plot episodes, 20% standalone episodes and not the other way around. It's 2020. 

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I heard them mention on bbc radio the Daleks were coming back for the Xmas special. 

I also didnt realize until today that the new Master was BAME. (Not surprised, of course)

I'd be curious what you thought of the retcon but you're not following along.

Anyway, not sure where I land on the finale. The thing about retconning the background of the Time Lords is that it’s supposed to be a big deal (and certainly some fans will take it that way) but seriously that shit is irrelevant. The Doctor will be exactly the same and the next time a writer wants to do something with Gallifrey they just gotta have some Time Lord show up and be like “The Master thought he got us all but we tricked him” and then we’re almost totally reset.

I mean, seriously, I can’t even wrap my head around what supposedly happened to Gallifrey since the reboot (not an invitation to explain—I don’t actually care). They were already completely gone and destroyed and back again. Don’t worry about it. Also, they’ve  been straight up suggesting that the Doctor is more than just a Time Lord since, like, Sylvester McCoy days. 

I like  how it ended with the Doctor separated from the TARDIS and imprisoned. I’m hoping for all new companions next season, or maybe just Yaz.

I dug the finale though the big "changes everything" reveal means little to me since I'm super intimate with the background of the Timelords having only watched modern Who. Honestly, it felt like an unnecessary waste of Gallifrey. Dug the end with the Doc in prison. Will be interesting to see if we get new companions next season. I actually like the current crew fine, but I wouldn't mind them being moved on. Feels like it was already starting anyways.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, Matt D said:

Biggest issue is that they dropped this with a year or something til we have more. Honestly, if the show is going to play with things this big, then it should be 80% plot episodes, 20% standalone episodes and not the other way around. It's 2020. 

On 3/1/2020 at 7:03 PM, odessasteps said:

I heard them mention on bbc radio the Daleks were coming back for the Xmas special. 

I also didnt realize until today that the new Master was BAME. (Not surprised, of course)

I saw New Year's mentioned online. Still a long time to wait with how many episodes we get so I agree that they could/should lessen the standalone episodes to a third or less if they wanna go this big.

Edited by Eivion

Finally got around to watching the season finale. Wasn't great but there have been worse.

The decision to kill off Gallifrey completely, revealing that the Doctor existed before Hartnell and therefore numbering the Doctors is inaccurate/pointless as well as making the Doctor a being of unknown origin all seem like ways to push the show in a direction that will make it easier to welcome future new viewers. They smell of editorial mandate. If they go forward with removing the numbering, or at least not continually mentioning them with future actors in the role, the BBC's hope with the next casting might be that simply saying "The New Doctor" instead of "The 14th Doctor" won't make the show seem as old or daunting to potential new viewers. When the decision was made to remove numbering from Wrestlemania supposedly it was to help avoid making the show/concept seem dated.

The Time Lords in the past had been portrayed as pompous and even corrupt, so having the explorer who discovered the Timeless Child begin experimenting on the child after witnessing regeneration (and implying these experiments lead to multiple regenerations/deaths) acted as a way of continuing that portrayal. Hammering home that they have always been kind of shit slightly softens the impact of having them all wiped out. The added byproduct of wiping them out is not needing to mention even a sliver of the Time Lord lore (which spans 50 years now) that would come up whenever they were previously brought back.

So now we'll see if they run with this idea that the Doctor is an unknown alien from a different dimension and try to find her true home (which honestly seems very moffat-ish) or find a way to retcon the whole idea if they decide to walk it back.