DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

First episode with Jodie was very strong.  I love how she's captured how the Doctor's persona has transcended gender.  Female Doctor still has all of the snark and genius of the previous male incarnations. 

Everyone from Tom Baker to Peter Capaldi is still rolling around somewhere in that consciousness that has spanned millennia.

I'm interested to see what her quality of opposition will be during her run.  To be honest, I'm kinda tired of the classic villains and Capaldi's run was victory lap for everyone from the Daleks to the Cybermen, to the fucking Zygons.  A Sonataran even showed up in the Tenth Doctor episodes (Face the Raven?)..

I'd like to see Jodie face off against someone completely new or from someone they haven't used in a long time.... LIKE SUTEKH~!

Watched the season premiere this morning before work.  Didn't love the ep, but thought Whittaker far exceeded expectations as the Doctor.  I'm definitely on board for the rest of the season.

Kinda disappointed in the actual ep.  The alien baddy was sorta boring until he revealed himself as Predator without the trademarked name.  The companions need more character-building.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

I... kind of agree with you, for likely much different reasons.

Maybe, maybe not.  Going to be honest.  One of my reasons is that Whittaker is an attractive woman who looks great in a suit.

Really hate the weird pseudo-tomboy outfit she's going to wear for the rest of the season.  I guess it makes sense if you think about it as the person who decided they looked good in that was a man a week ago.  They even had one of the characters make a snide comment about it.

Really dug it, I'm glad they went for something really different in directing/cinematography (best part of the Class spin-off), really helps to stay clear of comparing to Capaldi.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:04 PM, J.H. said:

Man I really think now, more than ever is the time to bring back The Rani!

I'd love that too but I think Missy may have stole much of her thunder :\

Maybe a genderfluid Monk? The Monk can be the carnival mirror version of the Doctor.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:54 PM, Player One said:

The companions need more character-building.

Imagine making this comment after one episode. FFS.

As a mega lapsed viewer, I've been enjoying it so far it's a total breathe of fresh air. And I'm amazed how good Bradley Walsh is

1 hour ago, Ace said:

The 13th Doctor looks like she's gonna be the Favorite Teacher Who Supports Anything You Do Doctor. The TARDIS scene was delightful.

I agree with you about the 13th Doctor. It was only a brief look but not keen on the TARDIS interior for 13. My least favourite NuWho.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say the opposite. I've only watched NuWho, but while I think she is great, the episodes have been underwhelming for me.  The MLK episode was Quantum Leap(not a bad thing, but not Dr. Who), and last nights was okay, but kind of pointless, and also Quantum Leapy. I've been rewatching the series starting at Ecelson, and am almost through the first Tennant season and Davies' stuff blows this away in both plotline and special effect. Better than Peter Capaldi, sure but Moffat had his head so far up his ass by that point that he wasted both Capaldi and Jenna Coleman(who's character was so unlikeable I hated her until I saw Victoria). 

I think there's potential there, but its pretty lukewarm so far from me. . . . .

15 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I'd say the opposite. I've only watched NuWho, but while I think she is great, the episodes have been underwhelming for me.  The MLK episode was Quantum Leap(not a bad thing, but not Dr. Who), and last nights was okay, but kind of pointless, and also Quantum Leapy. I've been rewatching the series starting at Ecelson, and am almost through the first Tennant season and Davies' stuff blows this away in both plotline and special effect. Better than Peter Capaldi, sure but Moffat had his head so far up his ass by that point that he wasted both Capaldi and Jenna Coleman(who's character was so unlikeable I hated her until I saw Victoria). 

I think there's potential there, but its pretty lukewarm so far from me. . . . .

Not sure what you mean by 'Quantum Leapy'. 

The Doctor has been visiting historical moments in time since Hartnell days.

My only gripe is I wish they would start trimming the companion fat, so to speak.

Three companions is fine, but I'd much prefer they handled it the way they did with Eccleston/Tennant and have some of them based on Earth and bring them in when needed.

That's also one of my main gripes about the Davison era.

I hated Rose Tyler until midway through the Tennant run. Coleman I hated until her last season with Capaldi.

Hah, I was thinking a lot of this too. Visiting historical moments has been a Who staple for a long time.

I'm not a fan of all of the companions and like you, I wish they were brought in as needed.

And count me in for really not liking Rose until the Tennant run. It was probably the Bad Wolf stuff or maybe a little before that where I liked Rose.

I don't think the first season of the Capaldi run was the best or at the very least, it improved by the end. The rest of the run I really liked. To be honest, I think a lot of it had to do with Capaldi's Doctor looking like an old magician. I like him looking disheveled better. That said, as far as first seasons with a new Doctor go, this is better than Capaldi's first season.

Season, series, whatever.

I thought the Rosa Parks episode was pretty brave.  The writers were not afraid to punch you in the stomach with the sort of imagery some Southern romanticists would rather forger or ignore.

Doctor-Who-113-6.jpg

It was definitely the kind of excellent episode that a new doctor would need to make their season memorable, but I don't think Rosa was a terribly revolutionary episode. 

We've seen racism used as a plot device / point of discussion before in previous seasons to great philosophical effect (Thin Ice, Remembrance of the Daleks, Human Nature / Family of Blood), but this is the first time that the show has aimed a blow directly at nose of the one of the darkest chapters in US history and to that I say, "Bravo!"

I really wished that they went ALL IN on what it was really like.  I understand that they kept it relatively clean despite not sugarcoating anything, but some people need a reminder what some people mean by wanting America to "come back".