DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Some friends were have a twitter discussion today on who was the most famous actor at the time of their casting as the Doctor.

I agree with consensus that it was Davison, having been on All Creatures Great and Small already (plus other shows). 

More than McGann? Withnail & I was a fair sized cult classic. For that matter, Capaldi had The Thick Of It going for him, I might put him on at least equal footing as Davison.

I *really* hope it isn't Swinton. Regardless of her talents as an actor, a) she is far too brittle , completely lacking in the charm and likability that even the most abrasive Doctors have shown, and b) I find if hard to imagine the BBC would cast a female Doctor quite so androgynous looking. If they are going to take the plunge and cast a woman to play the Doctor, I would figure they would go with someone a bit more traditionally feminine.

Jesus, is Tilda Swinton really part of the conversation, or is that just wild speculation? She's legitimately one of the best film actors on Earth (top five easily). If she was remotely interested I'd bend over backwards to get her.

She could just do Mason from SNOWPIERCER and I'd be thrilled.

2 hours ago, Control said:

Jesus, is Tilda Swinton really part of the conversation, or is that just wild speculation? She's legitimately one of the best film actors on Earth (top five easily). If she was remotely interested I'd bend over backwards to get her.

This.  If the idea of Eddie Redmayne is a pipe dream, then certainly Tilda Swinton has to be in that pipe dream category, too.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Control said:

Picked up Power of the Daleks on a whim. Haven't watched it but I'm pretty excited.

I really need to sit down and binge watch this while it is still in my On Demand queue.

On 2017-02-23 at 11:17 AM, J.T. said:

I really need to sit down and binge watch this while it is still in my On Demand queue.

The animation really foregrounds all the dead space in early Who. However, Troughton is obviously amazing, even as a cartoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Humble Bundle has a package of Big Finish Doctor Who stuff, if anyone that does Big Finish doesn't have anything their selling.  I'm thinking of getting it myself.

It's important to note that actual radio play Doctor Who episodes are a minority of what's in that set. The Destiny of the Doctor serial and the Torchwood stories are what BF calls "Chronicles", basically stories  narrated by the main character with one to two other characters speaking dialogue. 

That said, the six episode set of 8th Doctor Adventures is probably THE best introduction to Big Finish for a fan who only knows nuWho and those are usually $10 each, so it's an excellent deal just for those. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I guess several media outlets in the UK have reported that the new Doctor will be Kris Marshall and he'll take over the role sometime during the season.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3339851/new-doctor-who-revealed-as-kris-marshall-takes-over-from-peter-capaldi-and-has-already-joined-the-cast/

BBC denying that the new Doctor has been cast, fwiw.

Not familiar with the guy so I can't comment on whether it's a good choice or not.  I'm not a diehard fan, anyway, so I'm not the person to ask.  In fact, I feel like tonight's ep has to be outstanding in some way or other to keep me tuned in.  I've watched the past few seasons for Capaidi, but I don't think that's enough to reel me in for this season.  The last season I consistently enjoyed was the first Amy Pond season, which wasn't particularly well-written but had an interesting take on the Amy-Doctor relationship.

Interestingly, the articles quote an unnamed source as saying "They won't risk a woman.  They want a David Tennant.".  Honestly, if they wanted to keep me as a viewer, a woman would be the way to go.  I know people despise River Song, but I'd be onboard for the duration if they did some timey-wimey hocus pocus and Alex Kingston ended up with the role. 

And I never cared for the fan arguments that surrounds the casting of a new doctor but this time around, oh boy, the water has already been poisoned before the war even started.

I'm so so glad that Moffat (despite the accusations thrown at him) went with Capaidi. I hope Moffat trolls the detractors on his way out, trolling Moffat is the best Moffat.

I liked "The Pilot" a lot, even if it was a sorta paint-by-numbers Moffat episode. I'm excited for the rest of the season, too.

Most fantastic part of the episode was the idea that a professor would get an office like that. I've got a desk in a room I share with six others.

4 minutes ago, Control said:

I liked "The Pilot" a lot, even if it was a sorta paint-by-numbers Moffat episode. I'm excited for the rest of the season, too.

Most fantastic part of the episode was the idea that a professor would get an office like that. I've got a desk in a room I share with six others.

The office is bigger on the inside.

• Like 2

Kris Marshall might be best known in the US for being in Love Actually as the british guy who comes to America and lands the American girls because of his accent.

he was also the guy who took over as the lead in the Trouble in Paradise BBC show from Ben Miller.