DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

The more I think about Time of the Doctor, the more I dislike it.

You know, I really liked Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I didn't like the Matt Smith Doctor, if you catch my meaning. He went full-on wizard/superhero in the last few seasons. He can take out entire fleets of daleks; in contrast, I just watched "City of Death," and Tom Baker wouldn't even fight a surly butler.

• Like 1

He was a real jerk, yeah, and some of that is probably because he was close to death, but he spent whole seasons lying to his companions. You always had the sense that when, let's say 7 lied, he did it because he had to, because he was playing a long game. With Smith, you get the feeling that he was doing it because it was easier than dealing with the truth.

Got as far as the Library two parter. (I couldn't help but think of Kar-Sharat, though of course tjat was destroyed. Convenient.) Having never seen River outside that one two part story, I like her a lot as a concept but am not at all surprised that when Moffatt actually told her story it grated on fans. She's a great idea when her past/the Doctor's future is a big blank, but filling those gaps in is guaranteed to be a letdown.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a letdown to me because ultimately we know her destination.  Seems rather cruel to me.  Especially with how important her background turns out.  I'm weirded out because she's Doctor's wife and Amy's daughter.  Something about that just seems wrong to me.  Their marriage itself was also very weird.  I just don't buy her as the "Doctor's wife."  She's like a Time Travel Sue.

I went back and watched some Day of the Doctor and I'm confused. 

So if I go back and watch Eccelston and Tennant episodes, am I supposed to watch it knowing that they saved Gallifrey and don't remember or do they still exist in a timeline where the War Doctor pushed the button?

Why would Eccelston think he blew up? Wouldn't he just remember stealing The Moment? Wouldn't he remember Rose?

I went back and watched some Day of the Doctor and I'm confused. 

So if I go back and watch Eccelston and Tennant episodes, am I supposed to watch it knowing that they saved Gallifrey and don't remember or do they still exist in a timeline where the War Doctor pushed the button?

Why would Eccelston think he blew up? Wouldn't he just remember stealing The Moment? Wouldn't he remember Rose?

They don't remember, and Eccleston would only recognize Rose on a subconscious level. It might be why he asks her to come along. The Doctors only remember being together when they're actually together (as seen in The 3 Doctors, The 5 Doctors, and Time Crash)

Seems to me that the storyline has yet to resolve itself. None of them would remember putting the plan into motion to save Gallifrey, so while it has yet to resolve, it was seem that they would still remember the original timeline, or it would be in some fugue state where it would be like traumatic amnesia or something. Just my two cents, though. Your mileage may vary. Sorry Tennessee.

So my modern series marathon brought me through "The End of Time" on Sunday, after which I decided to take a few days off. I really liked EoT generally, but hate the Master's new origin with a passion. I was okay with the whole "sound of drums" thing in Series 3, because it felt like a symptom of madness rather than a cause. Having him deliberately tortured with it as part of a grander scheme means that the man who wiped out a quarter of the universe is only a monster because he's a victim, and that feels really dramatically unsatisfying to me.

Followed it up with the Fox movie, which is of course a huge mess but simultaneously better than I expected after not seeing it since its initial airing. The bad far outweighs the good, but it didn't make my soul bleed or anything. It's still better than, say, The Twin Dilemma.

I'm taking a total Who break until Saturday, kind of a palate cleanser (and a way to stretch out the remaining audio plays, since I only have 3 left plus the shorter Tom Baker episode that was yesterday's 12 Days cheapie.)hoping the back half of Series 7 hits Amazon Prime and Hulu fairly soon (and the whole season lands on Netflix, presumably at the same time.)

• Like 1

That actually sounds pretty glorious, honestly.

Finished Series 5 minus the Christmas special.  The second half of the series was pretty excellent, but I felt like the first half kind of dragged minus "Eleventh Hour."  (Yes, even the Angels.)

I know there's a Wonder Woman-style contractual obligation to use the Daleks yearly, but I am getting really tired of them.  Although I kind of want a WOULD. YOU. LIKE. SOME. TEEEEEEEEEEA text tone.

Tomorrow at work will be Zagreus, the last of the initial Big Finish purchase I made last month (though I did buy a couple of later ones during the subsequent Twelve Days of Christmas sale).  Today I listened to Renaissance Man, which was the lone Fourth Doctor episode to be put on sale.  it was fluffy but generally a very enjoyable and well-written story.

Daleks are my favourite, but they're hard to use well, I think. I liked how they were used in Series 1 the most. I even liked them at the end of series 4, if for no other reason than getting to hear Daleks speak German, and the line "Daleks do not accept apologies!" That's just so evil.

I've read that the Daleks are only encountered twice during Tom Baker's entire run. If that's true, I've seen 'em both. One serial was glorious; the other was laughably bad.

Yeah, "Genesis" and "Destiny" are kind of the apogee and perigee of Dalek stories, and I can't think of any others.

I like the Dalek concept, I love some of the Dalek stories.  I think they work REALLY well in the Big Finish audio plays.  I just think that having to use them EVERY SINGLE YEAR on TV, whether they have something specific they want to accomplish or not, hurts them a great deal.

That actually sounds pretty glorious, honestly.

Finished Series 5 minus the Christmas special.  The second half of the series was pretty excellent, but I felt like the first half kind of dragged minus "Eleventh Hour."  (Yes, even the Angels.)

I know there's a Wonder Woman-style contractual obligation to use the Daleks yearly, but I am getting really tired of them.  Although I kind of want a WOULD. YOU. LIKE. SOME. TEEEEEEEEEEA text tone.

Tomorrow at work will be Zagreus, the last of the initial Big Finish purchase I made last month (though I did buy a couple of later ones during the subsequent Twelve Days of Christmas sale).  Today I listened to Renaissance Man, which was the lone Fourth Doctor episode to be put on sale.  it was fluffy but generally a very enjoyable and well-written story.

@bigfinish: Special offer now on: Doctor Who main range releases 51-75 now £5 on CD or download! Ends Monday. http://t.co/4N3K6Oz32Z

Yeah, I've been looking pretty hard at that.  But I've already given them like $80 in the past month.  Knowing that those next ten McGann eps (and the fifty-plus others, since I only got one to two each from Davison/C. Baker/McCoy) will spike from $3 or $5 to $12 or $13 next week has me tempted to do more, but I just don't think I can afford it now.  Thanks for pointing it out, though.

I am going to have to slow down, or else I'll run out of modern Who, classic Who on hulu/netflix/amazon AND audio Who by the end of February.  (Well, maybe not Hulu.)  Then I'd have to watch Torchwood, and I get the feeling that's a sign of true desperation.

Today was "Creed of the Kromon" and "The Doctor's Wife."  The audio story was just pretty good, nothing special.  I'm not sure I'm gonna make it through 24 more episodes of the Divergence Universe, even though I bought them all.  There are some neat ideas, but at the end of the day it's still eight volumes of the Doctor and Charley trapped on a single planet wandering aimlessly looking for the TARDIS.  Still, after 'Scherzo" it was nice to see that the entire Divergence arc wasn't going to be eight solid volumes of body horror, formalist experiments and mindfuck.

"Doctor's Wife" was, of course, pretty fantastic.  "Sappy in all the right ways" is the best way I can put it, and House is a genuinely freaky opponent.  Yet another Time Lord with a title instead of a name, albeit long dead now; there's a fan explanation for that floating around, right?  I can never remember.  And bunk beds ARE cool, they just need Queen sized bunk beds.  Best of both worlds.

Children of Earth was outstanding.

Miracle Day was decent.  I actually liked it, except for two things:

Jack's blood is what allowed the Miracle to reverse everything and make Jack mortal and the world immortal.  So, if Rex did transfuse Jack's blood into himself to pull off the reswitch at the end, considering Rex's injuries throughout the series, he should've died with Jack's blood *before* they pulled off the blood infusion.

And two:  If something that huge fucked up the Earth for that long, considering just *how* Jack became immortal, there's no way in hell the TARDIS wouldn't bring The Doctor there to fix whatever fucked with what she did.  And just how did the Miracle reverse something that exists in all space and time's use of the Vortex to make her hosts second-most favorate person immortal?