DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I can understand the desire to course correct after how continuity heavy the show was under Moffat. 

I can understand them trying to differentiate from Moffat's tenure but... I can't help but think that the establish lore are pieces of Lego that doesn't need to be discorded/ignored just because you want to build something new. An essential part of modern Who is the extensive (and often bizarre)  history.

It's hard enough to sell a new Doctor to the audience, but to establish a whole new set of lore alongside that just makes it much harder. Funny enough, the new Doctor is perfectly fine... it just seems the world she is in is a spin-off (ala Torchwood or Class).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched it yet, but I flipped by a few times last night and the giant rubber squid on the girl's back looked supremely cheesy.

Honestly, having watched the whole season except for the NYD episode, Whittaker's performance works for me.  Almost nothing else does.  Really didn't dig the writing except a few eps in the middle, the new companions, the vibe of the show, the new enemies, etc.  Honestly, kinda preferred the Capaldi run by  fair margin and I wasn't terribly into those episodes when the y  aired. 

• Like 1

We caught, in passing, a lot of the season marathon yesterday and it was my second time seeing the episodes. I'd say that there were a lot where I liked 70-80% of it but not necessarily everything. Some of the mechanics of Rosa with them having to contrive everyone being in the right place at the right time felt clunky even though the emotional beats were there. There were episodes where I really liked the setting/premise such as Tsuranga and Kerblam! where I thought the central plot/mystery didn't work great. Witchfinders (almost solely on Cumming's performance) and Punjab (which I thought hit almost all marks) were the best of the season. The biggest issue was that they didn't pack in enough worldbuilding/stakes. Not a lot really felt like it mattered on a big picture level and you really need some of that with modern Who. 

I liked the NYE special fine as part of the rebuild and though that the Dalek was sufficiently scary/dangerous, though the ending was too abrupt. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know the rationale behind the blu ray releases of classic Who? Unless I’m mistaken, they went from Tom Baker’s first season to Peter Dsvison’s First season and are now releasing Baker’s final season. That’s ... an odd assortment. They skipped over the best of the Baker years.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, Control said:

Anyone know the rationale behind the blu ray releases of classic Who? Unless I’m mistaken, they went from Tom Baker’s first season to Peter Dsvison’s First season and are now releasing Baker’s final season. That’s ... an odd assortment. They skipped over the best of the Baker years.

Wild guess on my part but... it maybe because they are still trying to recover and are recovering missing episodes.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Eric Roberts and the multi-Master team from the last River Song set will be closing out the 8th Doctor's "Ravenous" season.  Sadly there's no Alex McQueen to finally kill my dumb fan theory by having them interact.  I haven't been getting the River boxes, but Roberts didn't get great reviews; he recorded remotely rather than being in the room with the rest of the cast and apparently sounded pretty bored and lame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Listened to 8th Doctor: Time War v3 this week. Probably my favorite Time War related set, especially because of the last ep "The War Valeyard," which was surprisingly lovely. Still gonna be glad to see the back of the TW next year. The one thing I want most from the TW stories but know I'll never get is the story of Rassilon returning from the Divergence and regenerating from Don Warrington to Timothy Dalton.

In an age of reboots and old media properties getting snatched up by every streaming service imaginable and having a moment of pop culture significance, it's amazing how unimportant Doctor Who feels right now. It's entirely the BBC's failing and has absolutely nothing to do with who they chose to be the Doctor. They've just failed to air the show regularly. Things move so fast now. This isn't like Game of Thrones where there's a continuous story. It's much more episodic. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Next season of 8th Doctor will be dialing back from the cosmic madness of the last 4. It's called "Stranded" and is a return to the 3rd Doctor setup of a TARDIS-less Doc working out of the house on Baker St in modern day, this time with two companions from different time periods stuck with him. Tom Price will be reprising his Torchwood character, not much other detail except that with a July release date, with the Time War finale pushed to Sept.