DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

David Tennant has picked up the accolade of the "nation's favourite Doctor" in a survey to mark 50 years of sci-fi drama Doctor Who.

The Scottish actor, who played the role from 2005-10, gained 56% of the RadioTimes.com vote, easily beating closest rival Matt Smith.

Tom Baker wound up in third spot, followed by Christopher Eccleston and Patrick Troughton.

Billie Piper, who played Rose, won a parallel vote for the best companion.

She captured 25% of the vote for her role, which saw Rose accompany both Tennant and Eccleston on their intergalactic travels.

She was followed by Sarah Jane Smith, who was portrayed by the late Elisabeth Sladen, while Donna Noble (Catherine Tate) - who also appeared alongside David Tennant - came fourth in the running.

The latest companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna Coleman, only managed ninth place, but finished ahead of Freema Agyeman's Martha Jones.

More than 20,000 readers of RadioTimes.com took part in the vote.

Both Tennant and Piper will reprise their roles in the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who, The Day of the Doctor, which will be screened on 23 November.

Smith and Tennant will appear in the 75-minute show alongside John Hurt, introduced as 'The Doctor' at the end of the most recent episode.

RadioTimes.com editor Tim Glandfield said: "Not even parallel dimensions can keep the Doctor and Rose apart.

"It's clear from the results of our poll that they define a golden era of Doctor Who and helped introduce a whole new generation to the show - how fitting that they'll be reunited next week for the 50th anniversary special."

The next Doctor was unveiled in August as The Thick Of It actor Peter Capaldi.

TOP FIVE DOCTORS

1. David Tennant - 56.1%

2. Matt Smith - 15.9%

3. Tom Baker - 10%

4. Christopher Eccleston - 6.5%

5. Patrick Troughton (pictured) - 2.5%

Source: RadioTimes.com

Rank away!

Everything so far looks great, but the more trailers and minisodes I see, the more I'm starting to think that the John Hurt Doctor might be a plan B stand in they came up with because Ecclestone wouldn't come back for the special.

I actually kind of think that's why Rose is there too, to represent that era since they couldn't get 9. 

And if ANYONE thinks that Moffat wouldn't tell the story of the Doctor's Last Regeneration and how he got out of it when there was an opportunity, they'd be crazy. There's no way what the sisterhood did would restart them unless that's only revealed after a season of direness.

Anyone else play the all-Who Geeks Who Drink quiz last night?  Our team didn't do so well in spite of having what we thought was a fairly knowledgeable crew.  There were 51 teams, we came in 30th (though we were top ten before the final two rounds, which were brutal.)

So bbc three did a top ten of monsters. Introduced by some no name quiff head, it had him parading around the tardis introducing key episodes from the top ten best villains.

Heres the list

10 Judoon - with the intro to martha episode.

9 Silurians - with the demons run episode because i suppose it had a silurian in it.

8 Ood - with the ood factory and ood brain in it. Loved the subterfuge by the ood in that one. Tennant was on fine form as well.

7 Clockwork droids - not a bad episode, and an interesting premise in Mme Pompadour.

6 Ice Warriors - the recent one, not any of the old ones.

5 Cybermen - David Morrisey's christmas episode - schmaltzy christmas banter, but a decent episode.

4 The silence - who?

3 The master - episode called utopia - isnt that the end of tennants run? or is that the prequel episode to that? can never remember.

2 The weeping angels - episode was blink. my personal favourite monster of all time, any show, any series - beats the mayor of sunnyville, the black smoke monster and

anyone else into a cocked hat. Just a brilliant premise. Utterly mesmerising.

1 It will come as no surprise that its the doctor himself as the dream lord...or the daleks. maybe the daleks.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

One other thought - posibility of a capaldi sighting in this episode tomorrow?

If they were to ever bring back the first Doctor, they gotta use David Bradley. And the cameo at the end was tremendous.

Wasn't able to watch it but came across the cameo by accident. Moving.

So the 50th anniversary episode has come around, it’s on today. I’m looking forward to the story, the three Doctors but more than anything, seeing David Tennant’s tenth Doctor again. I’m interested to see the reaction this episode will get, will it be fitting of the hype and occasion?

Made some progress rewatching the early seasons.  Finished season 2 (of the reboot) this morning.  It was... ok-ish.  I don't have any real need to watch S2 ever again.  Tennant and Piper didn't strike me as having a lot of chemistry, and the writing was average.  Most of the eps seemed like minor throwaway eps built around a one-note idea - hey, The Doctor meets a werewolf; Hey, the doctor meets the Devil, etc.   Actually like the Satan two parter, but the idea that the creature might have been the devil seemed a bit much

I find Rose Tyler mostly annoying, so I was sort of glad they shuttled her off to a parallel dimension.  Too bad this isn't the last we hear from her.  I really never understood the "Rose must be with The Doctor" vibe.  She's basically willing to disregard everyone at the drop of the hat to stay by the Doctor's side, without much explanation?  Is she infatuated (seems likely, but never explored)? Extremely unhappy with her life?  Mentally ill? 

Season two also really ratchets up the "Rose does something stupid, and the Doctor lets her get away with it" meme.  The season ending two parter really seemed to dive into soap opera with Rose's tribulations..

I liked season 1 more, but more because I liked Eccleston.