DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got to start Time War today, now that my job no longer requires me to have my ears uncovered.  The first episode is a great little mindfuck.  More when I finish the box, but right now my driving thoughts are (1) I hope before this season ends (in 2019 or 2020, God help us) they can get Timothy Dalton in to show the return of Rassilon and (2) I still want to know how 8 and Liv parted ways.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, as the gimmick of the episode would have allowed 

Spoiler

Susan or ian

To appear, since they would have been plucked a moment before their deaths.

There was a funny bit in the new DWM with Anneke Wills talking about seeing someone play herself in the Gatiss movie. 

Steven Moffat's swan-song was as meta as you can get on so many levels. And I don't think anyone is ever going to out speech Capaldi's Doctor (I mean he could make bank doing the motivation speaker circuit).

Capaldi's Doctor also had the most character growth of any of the Doctors. His first season and last season is almost night and day, his last speech was basically conveying his hard earned wisdom to the next doctor.

Spoiler

You wait a moment, Doctor. Let’s get it right. I’ve got a few things to say to you. Basic stuff first: never be cruel, never be cowardly. And never ever eat pears!

Remember - hate is always foolish... and love, is always wise.

Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind.

Oh, and... and you mustn’t tell anyone your name. No-one would understand it anyway. Except...except... children. Children can hear it. Sometimes - if their hearts are in the right place, and the stars are too. Children can hear your name.

But nobody else. Nobody else. Ever.

Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

That last line, what a motto to live by.

I seriously thought nobody would beat Tom Baker as my fav but Peter Capaldi is Tom Baker's ideal. Very much like Baker, even when it's bad, Capaldi stood out and acted the bejesus out of it. But, whereas Baker was like a minigun of overkill (jebus I love his theatrics), Capaldi was a sniper rifle of awe inspiring precision. Man, I'm going to miss him.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The Masque of Mandragora is a fine serial. I love how old Who would load up its episodes with theater and radio actors and they’d just act the shit out of their little roles. 

More to the point, I like how the Doctor tended to stumble into already formed stories: he was a wild card in an  otherwise self-contained narrative. In nuWho, half the time the story is about him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple quick hits.

1) It looks like the Free Comic Day issue will have a 13th Doctor short story (as well as 7th, 10th and 11th), meaning she'll actually have a comic appearance before her first 'real' episode.

2) War Master is fun but entirely skippable. I still need to write up my full thoughts on the first 8th Time War box.  Speaking of...

3) The next 8th Doctor box, "Ravenous" is out this week and will pick up right after Doom Coalition.  Last year when they annoucned the Time War would be a full 16-ep season instead of the five-episode standalone they initially announced, I had been under the impression that that was all the McGann we'd get for the foreseeable future.  Instead, they're doing two separate "seasons" at the same time, with Time War box 2 out in July.