DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

i think almost all last episodes, esp nuwho era, are overwrought. Remember tennant's long drawn out "i dont want to go" travelogue before dying?

FWIW, I thought that was a terrible piece of writing.  

Thanks for answering my question.  When he used the same bit of dialogue Capaldi has spoken a few minutes earlier, I assumed there was a connection.

Bill's final (?) fate was Moffat at his worst, imo.

Spoiler

The last minute swerve was deus ex machina and served no purpose other than to send fans home happy.  It really didn't even make sense to me.  Water girl only appeared in the first ep of the season, right?  They never built it up as some epic romance that needed a payoff or a happy ending.  The more logical end was to let CyberBill perish fighting the cyberman or have the Dr. put her out of her misery.  If you're just going to give her a happy ending, why not let the Doctor save her in the first place. Only reason for this ending was to not piss off fans, but still get Bill off the canvas.  Also, thematically, it's not dissimilar from the way they wrote Clara out last season.  Clara is changed into a living dead woman, but is saved by a girl and gets to roam the universe before meeting her fate.  Really felt like Moffat was repeating himself last night.  The Bill stuff reminded me of Clara's departure and the Doctor's "death" was fairly similar to Matt Smith's write-out.

I don't really mind that they spared Bill, but it goes back to one of my gripes with Moffat being that he settled for safe, formulaic storytelling when he needed to take risks to get the show out of  rut.

I have prob said this before, but when Moffat came up with "everyone lives", it was a gret moment in that episode.

but it became a cliche, to kill off characters and miraculously revive them later, thus cheapening the death: rory, clara, bill, even river. 

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The big difference between Davies and Moffat was Simm's Master. I loathed him as a character under Davies and I thought he was great here to the point I'm sad to see him go.

I'll agree with this.  I enjoyed Missy quite a bit too.  Though she turned/spurned the Doctor a couple different times in the finale, which makes him look sorta dim for continuing to try to trust her.  I'm not even sure the Dr./Missy stuff this season is in character for either of them.  

I both totally enjoyed the finale (to my mind one of the best finales they've done) and concur with pretty much every criticism I've heard.

Capaldi isn't the best actor to play The Doctor (a list that technically includes John Hurt), but I'm confident that he did the best acting as the Doctor.

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of names thrown around, but they're mostly from sites like the sun (which is apparently an unreliable tabloid?).  I tend to think it will be Kris Marshall, mostly because the other names are largely women or minorities (David Harewood?  Really?  Besides, I would think he's under contract for a few years yet).  The Capaldi experiment didn't really pay off ratings-wise, so I think they stick to the formula and select a handsome white guy between the ages of 25 and 42.  Companion will be a blonde model.

I'd like them to take a risk and experiment.  Just don't see it.  

Jodie Whittaker of Broadchurch has been mentioned a fair bit.  I'd be all for that.

As a casual fan, I don't really care who they get.  The more important thing is finally getting Moffat's hand off the wheel.  He can be a talented guy, and he's written some outstanding episodes, but I don't feel like he's a great "big picture" guy and thus not the one to run a show.  His run on Dr. Who has been all about going all in on the conclusion of the big arc at season's end while making the episodes along the way awfully formulaic (Dr. beams in, makes witty banter, saves the day, flies off).  I'm hoping they get back to making supporting characters interesting in the monster of the week episodes.

Sherlock.... is just a victim of it's own excesses.

Yeah, Chinail wrote Torchwood during seasons 1 and 2.  Season 3 was largely Davies.  The godawful season 4 Starz miniseries was mostly Davies, Jane Espenson (Buffy writer) and John Shiban (X-Files, I think).  Don't know who wrote what, but I really liked Torchwood during season 2.  Season 1 was ok.

I really liked what I've seen of Broadchurch, which is my main frame of reference for Chibnail.  Haven't watched any of season 3 yet.

What a joke. She is pretty bland on Broadchurch( plays sad and depressed well enough, but no signs of personality). Gee I guess they had to cave in to the politcal correctness police after all. . . .

24 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

What a joke. She is pretty bland on Broadchurch( plays sad and depressed well enough, but no signs of personality). Gee I guess they had to cave in to the politcal correctness police after all. . . .

My wife, 15 year old son, and 5 year old daughter are all super excited. The only badge the latter has is paper and out of a zootopia storybook.

• Like 4

Eh, good for them. I think she's way too light weight for the role. Not that I liked/knew of any of the males candidates, but I just don't see it. Someone mentioned Tilda Swenton a few pages back, I could see her doing well(especially if she went all Dr Strange on it), but this choice seems very uninspired.