DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Admit it, it's time for a new showrunner.  Gives this show to Neil Cross or Toby Whithouse.

I'm ready for a new showrunner. That said, I thought this was the best single season of Who since the hour format began. 

I also think that River will work much better against Capaldi than Smith who she steamrolled and who wanted to lean into the worst tendencies of River Song.

I agree this has been best nuwho season and its time for a change. Not coincidental most of the best episodes recently have been written by newcomers to the show.

I agree its time for a new Doctor Who showrunner. I missed five episodes by my count. I started watching Doctor Who regularly with Matt Smith's first season, season 5 and I still rate it as the best one.

---

Like how each Doctor had something to stand out. Tom Baker with the long scarf, Peter Davidson with the cricket outfit, Colin Baker's...let's not go there, David Tennant's whole ensemble, Matt Smith's bowties (his original outfit with the tweed jacket was the best, never liked the last purple one) and Peter Capaldi has his...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

just watched the finale. I liked it. the twist floored me...nice reveal and the idea of thelma and louise in a spin off is potentially intriguing and will work its way into capaldi's regeneration, guaranteed.

Overall i agree that the show needs a new front runner; Moffats mastubatory writing has been enough to cool me on the season as a whole...but he still has his moments.

the viewing figures alone should be enough for the management to realise that his time is coming to a close here...

I'll post my thoughts on War Doctor v1 when I finish it on Wed. I liked the first episode, but fans hoping for THE story of the Time War may be disappointed as they almost immediately separate him from the fighting for more of a character-establishing tale (at the end he returns to Galifrey). The theme song, though, gives me chills. Nobody has uploaded it to YouTube yet, but give it a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Silly, then sappy.

I kept thinking greg davies was (rip) Rik Mayall.

Rik Mayall's last role was playing Greg Davies' dad in the first series of Man Down. Davies said they cast him because a) Mayall was his lifelong hero, and b) people had been telling him he looked like Mayall for years.

The real life age gap between them was only thirteen or so years. Nobody minded, everyone was happy to see Rik back.

Smith is probably outdone by Baker The Second. Tom Baker wil lalways be my favorite followed by McCoy and Troughton. Trying to figure ou the rest would take more time.

Having now watched the Christmas Special , I can say it was fun. I can also say given the nature of end of it I'd be very pleased if we never see River Song again.

James

• 2 weeks later...

River Song box set is enjoyable but inessential. The 8th Doctor episode is fun but suffers from trying to make them both equal viewpoint chars. Also, it doesn't tie in to Doomco, 8 is travelling alone and the Time War is in full swing for him.

Probably skipping the next series unless they give me a special reason.

Also, Big Finish announced today a Two Masters team up with Beevers and McQueen taking on 5/6/7 in sequence (that is, 3 volumes and not a Doctors team up)

• 2 weeks later...

The no new eps til Xmas isn't surprising. It was said that Capaldi would be busy with other things this year. I really liked some of what Chibnall's done, so I'm excited by the replacement.

Here's the short that Chibnall wrote after "The Angels Take Manhattan. Awesome and devastating.