DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Also: is cyber Vikings vs Judoon going to be as bad as it sounds or as good as it sounds?

With Moffat probably both. I like how the Doctor is starting to get a little nastier, with just a touch of Malcolm, but not too much. . . .

Twitterverse is saying Capaldi himself played the rock version of the theme this week.

i texted my best friend saying nothing's going to top that opening monologue and Capaldi's rock version of the theme in this episode and I was right. A highlight of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor run.

Bonus:

• Like 1

Doom Coalition, episode one:

Enjoyable enough stsrt, not sold on the villain (who has regeneration-based DID, all his past personae cohabitation with his current one in his head, and all but one are criminal). Liv experiencing Galifrey was cool. The villain's plan is absurdly complicated but the two big take-away points are both interesting. Not sure this is going to end up justifying a 16-episode arc, but I may feel better after eps 2-4.

I am still bitter as fuck thst the titular Coalition isn't a Masters of Evil setup with all 8's audio-specific villains.

Doom Coalition episode 2:

Now this is more like it. The arc villain "The Eleven"is reduced to offscreen menace this ep as the Doctor and Liv hit early 60s London. The core threat is a cool one, and something that works better in the radio play format than it would on TV or in a book. The new companion debuts here (not that much of a spoiler, they've been talking about her for months) and she's okay. Will probably grow on me and if not, wthere will be a new one eventually.

I'm calling this 5 for 5. This might be the best Doctor Who season in years.

Al from House to Astonish said he thought this was first time there were 5 straight good episodes since the show came back.

I havent done the math yet, but i doubt there have been 5 straight good episodes that many times ever in the shows history, maybe during thr Hinchliffe era.

Gave up on reviewing DoomCo ep by ep because I realized it was dumb since you can only buy it 4 eps at a time.

My thoughts on the whole box? Pretty good. Not as good as the first Dark Eyes, which paid off angles from the Lucie era AND intro'd a new companion AND told a pretty good story of its own AND set up stuff they didn't yet know they were making.  This time, they've got a 16-ep season in mind from the beginning, and it both helps and hurts.  It helps in that we know there's a long game and an ending in mind; it hurts in that the first 4 eps don't always feel like an entity to themselves. Helen (the new companion) is a weird character (how does a language-focused archaeologist adapt to a universal translator?), but so far I like her.  Eps 2 and 3 are pretty excellent, 1 and 4 aren't as good but are by no means bad.  Ep 4 is a pretty horrific plot by the Eleven, and yet I'm still not totally sold on him as the villain. He's not holy-shit bad, but it's telling that the better half of his first box would be the stories where he's either entirely absent or barely appears. Ep 4 is suitably horrific, though, even with those issues.

And cranky-old-bastard Galileo is great fun.

I decided it was a little silly to do reviews of individual eps of Doom Coalition since you have to buy them in blocks of 4. So my review of the set as a whole:

Pretty good. There's a ton of setup for the rest of the 'season', and while the first ep is a little too heavy on setting up the concept and the chase, the other three are all better. (It's weird; "The Deadly Assassin" is a personal favorite and the thing that made me love Doctor Who, but I nearly always come away a little bored by Galifrey stories in audio.) Episode 2 is, as mentioned, a fairly straightforward horror/mystery with a very cool threat and probably my favorite of the 4. Ep 3 is fun with crotchety old Galileo, and ep 4 (where the villain's plan is revealed) is macabre in a really interesting, slightly stomach-turning way. Next set won't be out til the spring, so I'll have to wait to see where it goes from here.

It's a shame they can't release one part as a special download separate from the set, because "The Red Lady" is one of the best one-hour episodes they've done.

EDITED to format gooder.

I didnt read the forbes article, since my timeline was full of people discrediting it.

There are plenty of reasons not to worry about the overnights, and given how big a cottage industry DW has become for the BBC, its hard to be concerned.

It's like John Hurt in the 50th anniversary special.  It's starting to wear thin.  Moffat's done a good job with the property, but it's time for him to transition out to something else.  He's got plenty of other shows and work he can focus on outside of Doctor Who.  

Moffat has been the showrunner for over five years, and he's worked on the show even longer than that.  The well has run dry.  It's too much style over substance and actual storytelling.  You all are feeling it and know it deep down.  It's time for Moffat to leave Doctor Who.