DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I'm sure that one of the episodes or story arcs that will occur with Capaldi will be figuring out a way to reset or roll back regenerations.

That said, wouldn't it be a helluva swerve if they do that only for Capaldi to have something horrible happen that causes a regeneration mid-season? 

It would be something they've never done before, which is something desperately needed.

I don't think it'll happen, but it's food for thought.

Yeah, they haven't exactly said how long they are planning for Capaldi to be the Doctor. I'm hoping it's longer than a season and/or a Christmas special....part of me wanted Clara to be the Doctor because that fits with Moffat's swerve-y Vince Russo-esque "I don't really know what the crap I'm doing" style of storytelling. Capaldi's a big enough star as an actor where he doesn't need to do Dr Who, but he's been wanting to play the Doctor for awhile.

I just hope that he lights a fire under Steven Moffat to make the show better. The last two seasons have been awful regardless of its Dr Who or not.

There is a problem with the writing,  I can't quite put my finger on it but I was watching the Star Trek Give a Show projector reel on youtube: http://youtu.be/US7qFe-RDws

It's kind of amazing as it really feels like something that was put together by someone who has never watched Star Trek. Star Trek is a show about space travelers, where the Enterprise (space travel) takes the crew to different planets where they encounter and solve problems.

The slide show is about solving problems through space travel. The slide show really reminded me of current Dr Who. I kind of feel like that may be part of my problem with Dr Who lately. It has become too much like the Give-a-show projector, instead of the Dr. traveling to different places and times where he encounters and solves problems, he instead is a guy who solves problems through time travel. 

There is a problem with the writing,  I can't quite put my finger on it but I was watching the Star Trek Give a Show projector reel on youtube: http://youtu.be/US7qFe-RDws

It's kind of amazing as it really feels like something that was put together by someone who has never watched Star Trek. Star Trek is a show about space travelers, where the Enterprise (space travel) takes the crew to different planets where they encounter and solve problems.

The slide show is about solving problems through space travel. The slide show really reminded me of current Dr Who. I kind of feel like that may be part of my problem with Dr Who lately. It has become too much like the Give-a-show projector, instead of the Dr. traveling to different places and times where he encounters and solves problems, he instead is a guy who solves problems through time travel. 

Yeah, "The Wedding of River Song" was really what messed up the show for me....the Doctor the whole time was thought to not know what would happen and it was inevitable....yet he knew and he went around it with

using the transforming robot space crew to make a duplicate of himself while he was still inside?

I think on average the lows with the Davies run were way lower than in the Moffat years, the arcs were way more painful and most of the highs were from well, Moffat himself. That said the average of the episodes were probably fairly close. There's just been a lot more mediocre the last few years.

Posted Image

Fan mail from the 12th Doctor.

Other interesting tidbits that have come out:

* Capaldi auditioned to be the 11th Doctor, but wasn't chosen

* He was the only auditionee for the 12th Doctor

* Apparently Smith wasn't the first choice for the 11th Doctor. According to Neil Gaiman, a black actor was offered the role but turned it down. Gaiman won't say who, but I'm going to guess Lenny Henry.

I think on average the lows with the Davies run were way lower than in the Moffat years, the arcs were way more painful and most of the highs were from well, Moffat himself. That said the average of the episodes were probably fairly close. There's just been a lot more mediocre the last few years.

It probably also doesn't help the number of episodes per season keeps getting smaller under Moffat.

It probably also doesn't help the number of episodes per season keeps getting smaller under Moffat.

Good, so Capaldi will have a few weeks rest before going in to film The Thick of It season five (six?).

* Apparently Smith wasn't the first choice for the 11th Doctor. According to Neil Gaiman, a black actor was offered the role but turned it down. Gaiman won't say who, but I'm going to guess Lenny Henry.

No fucking way, I know he's considered a great stage actor these days, but Lenny Henry?!

I kind of want to see that now, Just cos it sounds so absurd. To me it'd be like having Ainsley Harriot or Timmy Mallet or something.

No fucking way, I know he's considered a great stage actor these days, but Lenny Henry?!

I kind of want to see that now, Just cos it sounds so absurd. To me it'd be like having Ainsley Harriot or Timmy Mallet or something.

Idris Elba FTW. . . though frankly I'm not sure that the bonds of the universe are strong enough for the awesome that would be. . .

Catherine tate was borderline unwatchable, but aside from that I;d davies everyday and twice on sunday. . .

Catherine tate was borderline unwatchable, but aside from that I;d davies everyday and twice on sunday. . .

Davies had his bullshit in almost every episode. Even his good episodes like Utopia are full of just meaningless buzz-crap like YANA and the burnt out post apocalyptic zombies. His worst stuff like the Hungry Hungry Master or the Game Show episode or the farting aliens or everyone becoming the Master are about thirty times worse than anything Moffat did in his run and when he tried to play with big ideas and concepts you got the sort of heavy handed nonsensical crap that was the end of Waters of Mars.

You can have Davies twice on Sunday if it means I don't have to have him once on Sunday.

Davies had his bullshit in almost every episode. Even his good episodes like Utopia are full of just meaningless buzz-crap like YANA and the burnt out post apocalyptic zombies. His worst stuff like the Hungry Hungry Master or the Game Show episode or the farting aliens or everyone becoming the Master are about thirty times worse than anything Moffat did in his run and when he tried to play with big ideas and concepts you got the sort of heavy handed nonsensical crap that was the end of Waters of Mars.

You can have Davies twice on Sunday if it means I don't have to have him once on Sunday.

I actually liked the episode where everyone became the Master and I actually liked the Waters of Mars episode. To me, Davies' run had what happened make sense even if you weren't a long-time Dr Who fan....but most of Moffat's episodes (except for most of series 7) did not come close and just didn't make sense whatsoever. It's like he changed the continuity of the show as the seasons were going along and nothing fit well together. The Doctor you meet at the beginning of Tennant's run is different than the Doctor at the end. With Matt Smith's Doctor, I don't really feel he has changed except for this past season. 

But I will admit that there are some bad episodes during Davies' time running the show (anything with Catherine Tate was insufferable until the end).

Moffat's run had a much higher level of difficulty for a lay person probably, but my 9-11 year old hasn't had any problem with them. Moffat's run also had a lot more daring ideas and concepts. "I was able to figure out what happened without having to think." isn't exactly a roaring endorsement for the Davies' run to me, a lot of which is actively better if you DON'T try to think about it. 

To me the biggest problem with the entirety of Moffat's run is the pacing in Let's Kill Hitler. If that had been a two parter and spaced out an explained better the entire run would stand better. Past that it's nitpicks like not explaining or looping in the Great Intelligence more in the previous season since he wanted to do so many stand alone episodes. 

A lot of the problems with the Moffat run are problems of overreaching while a lot of the problems in the Davies run are from not reaching high enough. I think I know which of the two I'd prefer.

What were the Moffat highs during the Davies years?

I actively liked Blink but the more times the reeled out the Angels and the more times Moffat did the "ooh so scary, the evil thing works when not paying attention" ( the library, the silence, etc) the less that worked, and the more they did the Dr leaves hints from past to be given to him in the future to prevent past time stuff the less that meant anything. 

But I will admit that there are some bad episodes during Davies' time running the show (anything with Catherine Tate was insufferable until the end).

There always are bad episodes, always will be bad episodes. I didn't have that much problem with Donna...kind of like a companion who will challenge the Doctor, also liked companions who grew and changed over the course of their time with the Dr.

Moffat's run had a much higher level of difficulty for a lay person probably, but my 9-11 year old hasn't had any problem with them

Not sure what is level of difficulty, you get lots of time travel Russo twists, but I don't walk away from "Pandorica/Big Bang" ,Wedding of River Song, Let's Kill Hitler going "That was complex" so much as going "That was dumb".

I thought about this while at work today:

Since the 11th Doctor jumped into his own time stream at the end of "The Name of The Doctor," is it possible that during the course of the 50th Anniversary special (which will undoubtedly take place in the time stream) and maybe the Christmas special, that the 11th Doctor's regeneration won't really be a regeneration? In other words, the Doctor leaving the time stream will be the 12th Doctor while the 11th Doctor stays inside for whatever reason (I guess to keep the Great Intelligence at bay). It would leave open the possibility that Matt Smith could come back and the 12th Doctor could 'reverse regenerate' back into him if Peter Capaldi Doctor doesn't work out or he's filming movies.

And no, I'm not just saying this with the perverse hope that I want to see Clara/Jenna Coleman making out with Matt Smith. I really want her to make out with me. I need to find a bowtie....