DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

If they went with Capaldi I'd consider that a ballsy move.

To me a "ballsy move" would have been a black or British-Indian woman as the new Doctor.

Particularly since never in the history of Doctor Who has the ability of Time Lords/Ladies to change their sex ever even been hinted at.

To me a "ballsy move" would have been a black or British-Indian woman as the new Doctor.

Particularly since never in the history of Doctor Who has the ability of Time Lords/Ladies to change their sex ever even been hinted at.

Well, Neil Gaiman made a gender change regeneration canon in the Doctor's Wife at least. I wonder between racial and gender politics which will bend first in regards to the Doctor.

There's been a female Inspector Spacetime dammit!

Ah, the late lamented DVDMC once again pays dividends. Thanks to whomever picked "In The Loop" last go-round, I can actually say I'm familiar with the new Doctor. Not only familiar but actually kinda excited 'cause Capaldi is freakin' awesome.

While I don't know who else was in the running, it is sort of a ballsy choice to cast a frumpy 55 year old dude as the lead in a series that is immensely popular with fangirls. I just hope they play to his strengths and write him as more of a misanthropic curmudgeon. Sort of a Dr Who crossed with Dr. House.

At the very least, he better use plenty of profanity.

While I don't know who else was in the running, it is sort of a ballsy choice to cast a frumpy 55 year old dude as the lead in a series that is immensely popular with fangirls. 

How popular is it with British fangirls? I suppose that's the question. The Beeb doesn't really care otherwise, do they?

While I don't know who else was in the running, it is sort of a ballsy choice to cast a frumpy 55 year old dude as the lead in a series that is immensely popular with fangirls. 

How popular is it with British fangirls? I suppose that's the question. The Beeb doesn't really care otherwise, do they?

Pretty popular, but I think it's the wee one's buying action figures and such that'd be a tougher loss for them I think. This should be fine for that, it'll still be heavily kid/youth friendly, as it should be really.

I've been at work and learned via text message from a friend who knows I like the show and Capaldi, it read: PETER FUCKIN CAPALDI IS THE NEW DR FUCKIN WHO. FUCKITY BYE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_and_the_Curse_of_Fatal_Death

Written by Steven Moffat, no less.

Seriously, Doctor Who is probably the epitome of the "we're just making this shit up as we go along" sci-fi franchise. 

Anyways, my irritation over the lack of a minority/woman not being cast aside, I am still very happy that Capaldi is getting the gig and will look forward to his run.

Now... If they can recast the writing staff.....

I agree -- I think an older guy as the Doctor is a great idea.

But if any of the episodes are like the episodes during Matt Smith's run, we'll be in for a rough haul. I finished watching the entirety of the 11th Doctor's run and I couldn't find an episode I liked that much. It was confusion for the sake of confusion. Well, I did liked "A Good Man Goes To War" and most of the episodes during Series 5 and some of Series 7. Series 6 was just bad. Whereas with Eccelston/Tennant's run, the bad episodes were few and far between.

They need to have Peter Capaldi swear as the Doctor.

As much as Smith was a gigantic step down from tennant, the first seasons weren't that bad, but only because he had Amy carrying his ass, this past season wasn't too bad, as smith had finally grown into the part. . .that said, good riddance.

Well, Neil Gaiman made a gender change regeneration canon in the Doctor's Wife at least. I wonder between racial and gender politics which will bend first in regards to the Doctor.

There's been a female Inspector Spacetime dammit!

Gaiman also explained why he thought 12 shouldn't be a woman:

Could you further explain what you mean by “not yet, not quite" time to cast a woman as the Doctor? Please and thank you :-)

Not really. Other than, if I were show-running (I’m not) I wouldn’t cast a woman as the Doctor yet, and it would absolutely be on my list of things to do in the following regeneration. (I was the one who wrote the line about the Corsair changing gender on regeneration, in “The Doctor’s Wife" after all, and made it canon that Time Lords can absolutely change gender when they regenerate.)

Some of that is stuff I’d find hard to articulate, mostly having to do with what kind of Doctor you follow Matt Smith’s Doctor with: someone harder and much older and more dangerous and, yes, male feels right to me, as a storyteller. Where you go after that, ah, that’s a whole new game…

It doesn’t have to feel like that to you, nor am I telling you what to think. We’re talking stories here, and opinions after all, and your opinions are, obviously, as valid as mine.

And if 13 were to be a woman, following the habit of using someone who'd been there before, my choice would be Chipo Chung.

Posted Image

You might remember her better as this:

Posted Image

Now... If they can recast the writing staff.....

They need to have Peter Capaldi swear as the Doctor.

First words better be " I'm the F*****g Doctor.  Welcome to the F*****g TARDIS"

Edit: ANDREWPoe I should have looked before I posted.  I bow before your photo meme

Edited by Justin877

1) They're not held to the 13 limit. That was an arbitrary limit placed by those who ruled Gallifrey. They gave The Master a new cycle of regenerations.

2) Technically, this is the 13th regeneration anyways.

Moffat said something rather snide-y on the bbc programme last night.

Something along the lines of "poeple think the doctor should be a woman? Okay then, show me when a queen was last played by a man"

So basically, as long as moffat is writing, theres gonna be no female docs.

Oh well.

In character, I don't think it makes a lot of sense. If someone self-associates as a man for over a thousand years and twelve chances to do something different, then they would have to establish some plot reason over time for him to feel otherwise. They could do that, but they would have to build it. I think a minority actor would be an easier leap in logic. To the Doctor there's likely no more difference between English and Indian than, let's say, English and Scottish. 

So long as they keep casting good actors that fit the role, I don't care who they cast. 

Can we just admit that the Man Doctor Vs. Female Doctor debate is nothing but us reliving the glory days of Boys Vs. Girls Wild & Crazy Kids episodes. 

BTW, a female Doctor would be like watching an WNBA game. Inferior to the real game.

I really don't get why so many people care that much about having a female Doctor. Do these same people want a female 007? I'm fine with gender equality, but at a certain point, it gets a bit ridiculous grousing that an established fictional male character won't be turned into a female. The formula, for nearly the entire history of the show is male Doctor plus at least one companion that is a female going on adventures through time. Stop expecting that to change. You would sooner see someone re-write Huck Finn with Huck being a girl for no good reason except to say, "LOOK! We made this boy character a girl! EQUALITY!"

• Like 1

I'm sure that one of the episodes or story arcs that will occur with Capaldi will be figuring out a way to reset or roll back regenerations.

That said, wouldn't it be a helluva swerve if they do that only for Capaldi to have something horrible happen that causes a regeneration mid-season? 

It would be something they've never done before, which is something desperately needed.

I don't think it'll happen, but it's food for thought.

It would be something they've never done before, which is something desperately needed.

Considering the show is possibly more popular worldwide than it ever has been, I don't quite see how desperate they are.