DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 NXT(s) DISCUSSION

RIPPA

22 hours ago, Edwin said:

To add to @RIPPA's Rumble video post above:

You can tell these guys are excited about the opportunity they received. Maybe the most emotional I've ever seen Aleister Black. Great stuff.

I didn't know I could like Tommy/Black any more than I already did, but damn, it's really fucking cool to see this match mean that much to these guys. I really hope he isn't wasted once he's brought up.

The Dunne and Gargano bits are cool too. Very happy for all of them.

• Like 1

Seen Punishment Martinez a ton of times at Full Sail and live events he still sucks.

Generic dude who listens to a lot of 1997 nu-metal with terrible tattoos. ??‍♂️

I'm starting to think people like him simply because he's a former ROH guy and of course any and everyone who's worked for ROH is good of course.

Spoiler

New NXT North American champion, the Velveteen Dream.

Shayna, Marina & Duke/Io, Kairi & Bianca, Riddle/Gulak, Street Profits/Carillo & Erwin Jr. and Gargano/Dream were the best matches tonight.

Ricochet/Cole, Lee/Ohno and Xia/Mia, Aliyah/Taynara, Dijakovic/Thorne, Black/Strong, Gulak/Bugenhagen also happened, but weren't that great.

Riddle and Gulak did the Catch Point handshake. Hope it leads some type of reunion, but I highly doubt it.

Scary botch during the Street Profitz match as Ford accidentally hit Erwin with a nasty backdrop driver that seemed like a botch flip counter from Erwin.

No 1-2 or European Union match at these tapings which is a major bummer. Seems like both teams will be sticking around NXT though as there was a big brawl with them, the Street Profits, the Undisputed ERA and War Raiders.

If you liked Gargano/Ricochet from TakeOver, then there's a good chance you'll like Ricochet/Cole and Gargano/Dream.

Bugenhagen is the most annoying guy on the roster. He's a rockstar and he airplays every instrument in his intro. He did that during entrance and the fans asked for an encore and he came out and they had him do the entire deal for like 10 minutes and it went from "haha, cool, funny guy" to "alright, go away, I never want to see you ever again."

The tapings I've had the least fun. The matches were alright. There was a dude in front of us that had a smarky chant for everything. "Ouch! That hurt!" "You can't wrestle!" "Oh, the violence!" And then the guy next to me spent 3 and half hours straight talking to the guy beside him. He didn't even bother taking a breath.

8 hours ago, Edwin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think you are the only person I have seen complain about Bugenhagen 

I am not saying you are wrong - just based on what I was reading yesterday as the tapings were happening, you seem to be in the minority

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I think you are the only person I have seen complain about Bugenhagen 

I am not saying you are wrong - just based on what I was reading yesterday as the tapings were happening, you seem to be in the minority

I don't think the second segment will air, but it lasted about 10 minutes and quickly lost it's charm.

It was cute/funny for an entrance. But having the dude come out and play an entire 10 minutes straight was rough.

I've already seen a few people asking why NXT should invest in creating another happy dancing jobber, so I don't think the sentiment is exclusively positive. (I suppose the counter would be that NXT does house shows too, and so needs someone in that archetype, regardless of whether Fandango/Rose/José have worked on the main roster.)

Regarding the 1st line of Edwin's spoiler - the F4W report also says this

After Velveteen Dream celebrated his victory, Gargano came back and tapped Dream with the Gargano Escape. He took the title with him as if he won it back, potentially indicating that another finish was taped.

Gargano and Ciampa closed the show by holding the North American and NXT titles on the stage like they did at TakeOver: Phoenix.

I approve of filming two finishes to keep an element of surprise when the episode comes around, if that's what happened. Unless they acknowledge a finish on social media prior to the episode airing, I assume that's what's going on.

As for Bugenhagan, he's a former amateur wrestler and powerlifter, so "party-boy comedy act" is a weird route to take. 

Bugenhagan has been working live events and has been doing the gimmick. He did the deal yesterday and people popped and as per usual with WWE -- they find something funny and of course they have to over do it and beat it dead immediately.

Remember when Titus faceplanted himself we all laughed because it felt natural and then he did something clumsy on RAW and we all yawned? It was along that line. Of course a lot of the Full Sail crowd is the type that finds the follow up Titus clumsiness funny, so of course they would lose it when he came back and did the entire routine for what felt like 10+ minutes.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Regarding the 1st line of Edwin's spoiler - the F4W report also says this

Hide contents

After Velveteen Dream celebrated his victory, Gargano came back and tapped Dream with the Gargano Escape. He took the title with him as if he won it back, potentially indicating that another finish was taped.

Gargano and Ciampa closed the show by holding the North American and NXT titles on the stage like they did at TakeOver: Phoenix.

Spoiler

Yeah, but when Dream tapped to the Gargano Escape, the refs. reacion was more of "Hey, let him go" DQ finish.

But yes, the second part is correct and Ciampa and Gargano posing on the ramp maybe an indication they will go with that finish as the final say.

2 hours ago, Beech27 said:

I've already seen a few people asking why NXT should invest in creating another happy dancing jobber, so I don't think the sentiment is exclusively positive. (I suppose the counter would be that NXT does house shows too, and so needs someone in that archetype, regardless of whether Fandango/Rose/José have worked on the main roster.)

The show I went to last year led off with Jose doing the conga through the crowd and definitely got the crowd going. It’s not a bad position to have (at least compared to say, Brennan Williams who still hasn’t made TV).

I enjoyed the tag matches this week. Duke and Shaffir aren't great, but they looked a lot better lats night than they did the last set of tapings when they tagged against Io & Kai. Street Profits vs. Forgotten Sons was also pretty darn fun.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I enjoyed the tag matches this week. Duke and Shaffir aren't great, but they looked a lot better lats night than they did the last set of tapings when they tagged against Io & Kai. Street Profits vs. Forgotten Sons was also pretty darn fun.

Duke is perhaps the most natural heel that has come around in a long ass time.  Her on-screen presence is completely and totally unlikeable.  Everything from the look on her face to her posture makes her look like she's about to sucker punch someone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Duke is perhaps the most natural heel that has come around in a long ass time.  Her on-screen presence is completely and totally unlikeable.  Everything from the look on her face to her posture makes her look like she's about to sucker punch someone.

One of the reasons I was so disappointed when Duke looked unimpressive her first showing was because everything she did during interviews and promos made her look like the perfect hench person you wanted to see get their ass kicked.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic