DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

Warner Brothers have let the movie rights to the LEGO franchise lapse (due to the last two movies being big money losers for them)

Universal Pictures have since acquired the rights

It is unclear if Lego Batman 2 remains in production

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Remember everyone hated Alita: Battle Angel before it came out because of the Big Eyes thing

I am still baffled as to why only Alita got the big eye treatment.

If you're going to go full bore on the live action adaptation of a manga classic like GUNNM the dammit, give everyone huge anime eyes.

And once you see how stupid that looks in live action,  go back to everyone having normal looking eyes including Alita / Gally.

Edited by J.T.

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am still baffled as to why only Alita got the big eye treatment.

If you're going to go full bore on the live action adaptation of a manga classic like GUNNM the dammit, give everyone huge anime eyes.

And once you see how stupid that looks in live action,  go back to everyone having normal looking eyes including Alita / Gally.

I *think* the idea was because it wasn't her real face, so it was okay that her eyes were giantic.

Honestly, it didn't bother me, but I know it did some people.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Cats is in theaters but Marriage Story and The Irishman were not (or barely..)  .   Why?

Netflix and the theater chains hate the shit out of each other.

FWIW Killers of the Flower Moon is suppose to start filming in Oklahoma in March (supposedly that's the reason DiCaprio was replaced by Bradley Cooper in Guillermo del Toro's new film) and no one currently has the distribution rights yet. That bidding war is going to be insane with Scorsese coming off The Irishman. Is Netflix going to be desperate and overpay or are we (meaning more than 500 people across the country) going to get this in theaters? I can see why studios would be a little bit apprehensive when Silence didn't do well, but it's fucking Martin Scorsese. He should be the last guy selling films at Cannes.

• Like 2

I heard someone speculate if Amazon and Netflix could be seen to be violating the Consent Decrees Act, which broke up the monopoly that movie studios had when they had their own theater chains. 

They have their own production, distribution and exhibition now. 

• Like 3

On 12/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, RIPPA said:

Tenet

Newest Christopher Nolan

Basically I WANNA MAKE ANOTHER INCEPTION!!!!

The cast is insane: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Kenneth Branagh, Michael Caine, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, a bunch of other people I am forgetting

This looks insane. I think Nolan might actually be my favourite director, I really admire his ability to boil down really heady concepts and philosophies into entertaining blockbusters

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:54 AM, odessasteps said:

I heard someone speculate if Amazon and Netflix could be seen to be violating the Consent Decrees Act, which broke up the monopoly that movie studios had when they had their own theater chains. 

They have their own production, distribution and exhibition now. 

The problem with that definition is that the market is so huge that not even a gigantic and powerful company like Amazon has clear majority market share and it doesn't really determine price.

Amazon is just another company fighting for buyer attention span so that they can own a sliver of their entertainment spectrum.

You can tell Amazon to go fuck itself.  You could not do the same with Standard Oil.

Edited by J.T.

On 12/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, RIPPA said:

Tenet

Newest Christopher Nolan

Basically I WANNA MAKE ANOTHER INCEPTION!!!!

The cast is insane: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Kenneth Branagh, Michael Caine, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, a bunch of other people I am forgetting

So I watched Star Wars at the huge IMAX here in the city, and before they showed the 5-minute prologue of Tenet. . .

Holy cow.   I do not need to see one more second of anything.  I don't care what the reviews are, I don't care who the cast is...   I'm in.  

• Like 4

I am also all in for this psychotic Adjustment Bureau with guns thingie.

The trailer for Tenet reminds me so much of the first trailer for the very first Matrix movie in that it is totally mindblowing and doesn't spoil jack shit. 

Also on the Matrix tip, that whole business of "Do not try to understand it.  Feel it," stuff is soo "There is no spoon."

if I didn't know better, I'd swear it was the mid to late 90's when movie studios know how to properly cultivate buzz about an upcoming blockbuster motion picture without giving the entire plot away over the course of three trailers. 

Edited by J.T.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So I watched Star Wars at the huge IMAX here in the city, and before they showed the 5-minute prologue of Tenet. . .

Holy cow.   I do not need to see one more second of anything.  I don't care what the reviews are, I don't care who the cast is...   I'm in.  

Can you describe what was in the prologue?

• Like 1