DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

I think I would hate a totally or mostly serious Ghostbusters movie.   Stantz dreamt that he was Napoleon and got a blowjob from the Woman In White, for fuck's sake.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I would hate a totally or mostly serious Ghostbusters movie.   Stantz dreamt that he was Napoleon and got a blowjob from the Woman In White, for fuck's sake.

I like the idea of a movie like this being serious when it needs to be serious and otherwise a comedy. Add some weight to it but not too much weight. 

Warner Bros. has responded to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's letter about the portrayal of deceased reporter Kathy Scruggs in Richard Jewell:

"The film is based on a wide range of highly credible source material. There is no disputing that Richard Jewell was an innocent man whose reputation and life were shredded by a miscarriage of justice. It is unfortunate and the ultimate irony that the Atlanta Journal Constitution, having been a part of the rush to judgment of Richard Jewell, is now trying to malign our filmmakers and cast. 'Richard Jewell' focuses on the real victim, seeks to tell his story, confirm his innocence and restore his name. The AJC's claims are baseless and we will vigorously defend against them."

Cool. Cool. Cool.  

The aggregators are kind of all over the place:  RT has it at an 89.  However, Metacritic has it at a 67(!).   The film opens this weekend.  

(I would not be at all surprised if Scruggs' family and the AJC sued to block the release.)

• Like 1

Based on the trailer, Ghostbusters gets a pass from me.  The 2016 was very flawed, but it was fun. The main thing that was wrong with '16 was doing the reboot instead of tying it into the previous movies and Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. Have two other Kate Mckinnon bizzaro world characters and it would have been even more fun.   Are we sure Jason Rietman and not J.J. ? Might as well be Ghostbusters Awakens.

Although I say all that in December; with a better trailer and $$$ in my pocket I will probably be there opening weekend.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Final Trailer for 6 Underground

Hits Netflix on Friday

Directed by Michael Bay

Not a documentary about the Sneaker Pimps

Here is the performance of 6 Underground by the Sneaker Pimps from the Aussie music television show, Recovery, taped on September 27th, 1997.

I found a video of the broadcast that includes the performance and cuts out the dreadful interview segment with Liam Howe and Chris Conner that Kelli did not participate in.

I will always love Kelli (Dayton) Ali.  Yes. I will.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, happjack said:

I was 10 years old when Ghostbusters hit the theaters and I loved that flick, this trailer does nothing for me. 

Okay, I'll ask.  How did your parents avoid the talk when you thought about asking them about the Napoleon dream?

I remember my folks's faces turning from happiness to absolute shock like "Is this fucking shit really happening?"  There was an awkward silence on the way back from the movies. 

I wanted to ask my dad what had transpired but something told me that if I was quiet, I'd survive the ride back home.

It is interesting how history repeats itself because I was flipping through channels once and stopped on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective when It was my custody weekend and I was making dinner for me and my then ten year old daughter. 

The scene when Ace returns the Sexy Woman's dog comes up and in true black father fashion, I give my kid the cautionary evil glare so that she knows it's probably not wise to ask me why the friendly lady repaid Ace by taking his pants off.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Does this Ghostbusters ignore the one that came out a few years ago? 

Yes. Ghostbusters 2016 has nothing to do with this and may as well be retconned out of existence. This is a direct sequel to the first two movies.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yes. Ghostbusters 2016 has nothing to do with this and may as well be retconned out of existence. This is a direct sequel to the first two movies.

giphy.gif

Why did you reply?

Edited by J.T.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I literally have no idea what JT keeps referring to when he keeps mentioning Napoleon.

For Christmas, I will buy you a book of famous ghost stories so you will know all about the folk tale about the White Lady coming to visit Napoleon on the eve before Waterloo. 

Seeing the apparition of the White Lady is supposed to be a bad omen and we all know what happened to Napoleon at Waterloo..

Ivan Reitman obviously knows this folk take and put his own... spin.. on it in Ghostbusters.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Okay, I have no problem with this recent trend.  Halloween from last year did the same thing and ignored all the sequels. 

Halloween II is fucking awesome and Halloween III Season of the Witch is a so bad it's good cult classic.

Other than those two movies, the rest of the recent Halloween dreck up to the direct sequel is best left forgotten.

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies have grown on me slightly over the years.  I don't despise them nearly as much as I used to, but I still think it was a bad idea to attempt to humanize and demystify The Shape as Michael Myers best serves the franchise as a living boogeyman / walking urban legend.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Rob Zombie's Halloween movies have grown on me slightly over the years.  I don't despise them nearly as much as I used to, but I still think it was a bad idea to attempt to humanize The Shape as Michael Myers best serves the franchise as a walking boogeyman / urban legend.

I didn't hate the first Zombie Halloween despite the attempt to humanize. I mean,  I get it. I get what Rob was going for.  But I was also turned off by how nearly every character had to be trash human beings.  The second one he lost me.  I thought that was terrible. 

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It is interesting how history repeats itself because I was flipping through channels once and stopped on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective when It was my custody weekend and I was making dinner for me and my then ten year old daughter. 

The scene when Ace returns the Sexy Woman's dog comes up and in true black father fashion, I give my kid the cautionary evil glare so that she knows it's probably not wise to ask me why she repaid Ace by taking his pants off.

I have to ask if you finished the movie and had to explain the END of it (you know what I mean). 

I know we've talked about this before, but boy neither that or the sequel would fly these days. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have to ask if you finished the movie and had to explain the END of it (you know what I mean). 

To tell the truth, I was saved by divine intervention.  

Before the part where Ace and Melissa sleep with each other, my kid started flipping through the channel guide and saw that Gravity Falls was getting ready to come on Disney XD.  That was her favorite cartoon at the time, so we watched that instead of Ace Ventura.

Edited by J.T.

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

For Christmas, I will buy you a book of famous ghost stories so you will know all about the folk tale about the White Lady coming to visit Napoleon on the eve before Waterloo. 

Seeing the apparition of the White Lady is supposed to be a bad omen and we all know what happened to Napoleon at Waterloo..

Ivan Reitman obviously knows this folk take and put his own... spin.. on it in Ghostbusters.

It literally has nothing to do with Napoleon. It's footage used from the Fort Detmerring scene that was found a few years ago. Most of the scene was cut for time and it was there to give Ray someone to love, which was a woman who lived about a 100 years ago I'm the fort in New York. What was kept was what we saw in the movie.

Edited by Craig H

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I didn't hate the first Zombie Halloween despite the attempt to humanize. I mean,  I get it. I get what Rob was going for.  But I was also turned off by how nearly every character had to be trash human beings.  The second one he lost me.  I thought that was terrible. 

Halloween II was better at being Halloween 4 than Halloween 4 was, so I'll give Zombie that kudo.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It literally has nothing to do with Napoleon. It's footage used from the Fort Detmerring scene that was found a few years ago. Most of the scene was cut for time and it was there to give Ray someone to love, which was a woman who lived about a 100 years ago I'm the fort in New York. 

That's not what I recall from an interview with Reitman on NPR where they talked about content that slipped by the final edit, but I am old so we'll blame me.

Edited by J.T.

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The cut footage is worth watching though. It's...weird. How they used the footage was way better than they originally intended.

Aha,  I am indeed the guy in the wrong.

In the interview, Terry Gross asks Ivan Reitman if that scene is based on the urban legend of the Woman in White and Napoleon and he replies with "I get that a lot, but actually no.." and goes into discussing the deleted Fort Detmerring ghost scene cut from the final print..

Mystery solved and I am the wiser for it.  Google is the best fact checker.  Being wiser makes me sad since it is not a Napoleon folk lore reference.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Okay, I'll ask.  How did your parents avoid the talk when you thought about asking them about the Napoleon dream?

I remember my folks's faces turning from happiness to absolute shock like "Is this fucking shit really happening?"  There was an awkward silence on the way back from the movies. 

I wanted to ask my dad what had transpired but something told me that if I was quiet, I'd survive the ride back home.

The scene when Ace returns the Sexy Woman's dog comes up and in true black father fashion, I give my kid the cautionary evil glare so that she knows it's probably not wise to ask me why she repaid Ace by taking his pants off.

The Napoleon dream was never talked about, what I do remember is getting a talk about not calling people “Dickless” since I thought that was the funniest thing ever. 

My parents most likely assumed stuff like that went over my head and I’m sure there was things that did and things that didn’t. I remember seeing Stripes in the theatre and thinking loofa meant something dirty thanks to the “I wish I was a loofa” line when the John Larroquette was spying on the women’s shower. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, happjack said:

My parents most likely assumed stuff like that went over my head and I’m sure there was things that did and things that didn’t. 

Being a crafty kid and now a parent, I know that kids notice a lot more than they let on and my daughter is more perceptive than most and she also hold her cards close to her vest. 

She has the annoying capacity of comprehending things that people think she shouldn't be able to and she's also clever enough not to let on that she knows what's going on..

I've always made it a priority of parenting to be honest with my kid and explain things to her in the best manner she will understand them, but there's some shit that you as a father are simply not ready to explain to a ten year old daughter.

Edited by J.T.