DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell biopic (titled Richard Jewell, duh) has been given a Dec 13 release date

That is the same day as Jumanji: The Next Level, and Black Christmas

However, WB is supposedly doing that because they want it out this year because they consider it a major contender for all the award shows

I know at this point every film Clint makes could be his last, but after The Mule and the one before that which I still haven't seen, I would slow down on releasing films that just wrapped a few months before they get released. It's his thing, but some quality control is desperately needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's a great popcorn movie and not even slightly close to being the best film adaptation of a book ever (I'd vote The Godfather, which is a fairly faithful adaptation, but it cuts all the worst things from the novel, while turning an okay book into a legit masterpiece)

Since I haven't read The Godfather, I can't compare the two.

I should have been more clear with my proclamation - I don't claim Jurassic Park to be the best movie based on a book.  Rather, I consider it the best adaptation - that is, closest to the original material, most completely covering the book, and bringing the book to life in a way that most-closely resembles the book's vision.  

Most of the changes weren't too bad. The biggest departure was the ending, though.  Because you know Speilburg wasn't going to end the movie the same way the book ended.

Edited by Raziel

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Since I haven't read The Godfather, I can't compare the two.

I should have been more clear with my proclamation - I don't claim Jurassic Park to be the best movie based on a book.  Rather, I consider it the best adaptation - that is, closest to the original material, most completely covering the book, and bringing the book to life in a way that most-closely resembles the book's vision.  

So you're saying The Princess Bride doesn't exist in your world.

• Like 1

That's a very interesting way of defining the word 'adaptation'. Interesting in that you seem to think that the best way of adapting something is to change it as little as possible, so that the story doesn't actually need to... what's the word.... adapt to it's new form.

Also, Sin City is the closest page to screen transfer, surely?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

That's a very interesting way of defining the word 'adaptation'. Interesting in that you seem to think that the best way of adapting something is to change it as little as possible, so that the story doesn't actually need to... what's the word.... adapt to it's new form.

Also, Sin City is the closest page to screen transfer, surely?

There's always a fine line between "not changing enough, so what was the point" and "changing too much, what was the point"

54 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

"changing too much, what was the point"

Like Prince of Persia? The storyline of the game (Sands of Time anyway) was far more coherent and emotionally engaging than the storyline of the terrible movie.

Edited by AxB

5 hours ago, Ace said:

So you're saying The Princess Bride doesn't exist in your world.

I haven't read the book but, if the movie is close to the book, yes, it would be #1. Better movie, for sure. 

6 UNDERGROUND

Starring  Ryan Reynolds, Mélanie Laurent, and Dave Franco

Directed by Michael Bay

---

Oh wait. . .  No. That's not the trailer.  HERE'S the actual trailer:

• Haha 1

I hate Dolfan for rekindling my undying crush on Kelli Ali fka Kelli Dayton. 

I saw the Pimps perform live at Buzzfest at RIR waaaaay back in the day shortly after Becoming X was released and have adored her ever since.

I am still prayerful that she will tour to support her new joint, Ghostdriver, and will stop by either the National in RVA or the Nation in DC.

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am actually angry its not a Sneaker Pimps documentary.

No, because the part where Liam has Kelli kicked from the group will probably make me Elvis my flatscreen and I kinda need that for the XB1, dude.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Kelli Ali did a photoshoot on a beach with a tiger. Which I am not linking to, but they're findable.

I have seen that photoshoot and it is awesome.  

It's the photo session for the album jacket for her 2003 release, Tigermouth.

Yes, do not link to it since she is topless (albeit tastefully).

It's not her first time being artsy topless.  I think she also lost her shirt for the video of The Fear of London from her upcoming film / album project, Ghostdriver.

Or was it for Kiss Me, Cleopatra?  I can't remember.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

RICHARD JEWELL

Director: Clint Eastwood

Sam Rockwell is Jewell's lawyer, Kathy Bates is Jewell's mother, Jon Hamm is EVIL~! law enforcement and Olivia Wilde is EVIL~! print media

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Directed by Armando Iannucci so I really shouldn't to say anything further

Starring: Dev Patel, Tilda Swinton, Doctor Who and House

• Like 1

The Richard Jewell story looks super interesting, however you can see Eastwood's personal politics just dripping through everything. Though, of note, the main newspaper that went after him was (and prepare for a shocker) the New York Post. I wonder if Eastwood will just conveniently forget that they're probably the most conservative paper in America.   And of course, the FBI investigated and completely exonerated him. 

I'll watch Helen Mirren read the phone book and Ian McKellen rules several galaxies, so all you had to do was just say their names, and I'm in.  

And speaking of just mentioning their names -- Iannucci.   Yeah, no more needs to be said. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Directed by Armando Iannucci so I really shouldn't to say anything further

Starring: Dev Patel, Tilda Swinton, Doctor Who and House

All fucking in.