DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Not quite sure you really wanna put that kind of weight on a Oscar nom.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the awards show that celebrated 'Green Book' as it's best of the year.  While almost entirely overlooking 'If Beale Street Could Talk'.  Just a quick recent example.  I certainly understand work or friend groups pooling/betting on the Oscars like sport, for fun, but is it really anything to take seriously?  

I still haven't seen If Beale Street Could Talk so I can't say if it's honestly better than Green Book (which was just alright to me), but I don't follow the Oscars that closely anyway. But as a fan of modern Asian cinema, I'm a mark for many Korean movies and filmmakers.

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Wait, Mother is the only South Korean film that SHOULD have been nominated in the last 10 years? Assuming you mean Mother is the only film truly extraordinary enough to receive a nod I have to say 'bold statement', are you sure about that? 

Reading comprehension, my friend. I said out of the movies that were submitted for the Academy Awards. I am a fan of some of the other movies (like Pieta and The Age of Shadows), but I don't see any films out of those that were submitted as one of the five or six best foreign films of the year. Burning was pretty good, but I thought Shoplifters (which was nominated) was a little better.

• Like 1

Ha, okay, interesting.  Both Burning and Shoplifters were excellent - I'm not sure I could decide an order of ranking between the two.  Both were my introductions to the directors as well.  Huge fan of both Kore-eda and Lee Chang Dong (have you seen Oasis?). 

Be sure to have a look at Beale Street.  Fantastic movie, fantastic soundtrack.  And both seemingly hugely underrated.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ha, okay, interesting.  Both Burning and Shoplifters were excellent - I'm not sure I could decide an order of ranking between the two.  Both were my introductions to the directors as well.  Huge fan of both Kore-eda and Lee Chang Dong (have you seen Oasis?). 

Yep, seen Oasis a few years ago now like right around the time I got into South Korean films (and some K-dramas). Pretty sure that was one of the films during my binge watch fest.

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Be sure to have a look at Beale Street.  Fantastic movie, fantastic soundtrack.  And both seemingly hugely underrated.

It's on my to-do list certainly, but I have like a bunch of stuff to knock out. It'll likely get done right before or at the beginning of awards season at the latest.

• Like 1

Beale Street was my favorite American movie of this past year, and it's been long enough that I'm gonna take in another viewing shortly.  Care to share a couple of your favorite South Korean titles?  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Beale Street was my favorite American movie of this past year, and it's been long enough that I'm gonna take in another viewing shortly.  Care to share a couple of your favorite South Korean titles?  

Narrowing it down to just a handful of films over the last couple years: 

Bluebeard (2017): Cho Jin-woong is just a behemoth in this. He's pretty much my favorite Korean actor. This reminds me of a Polanski horror film from his heyday, but there are some moments of levity that don't take away from the film.

The Villainess (2017): For whatever reason, I liked this film more than stuff like Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow. Shin Ha-kyun is a great villain here.

The Merciless (2017): Reminds me of a Walter Hill film. For whatever reason, South Korea is obsessed with these prison films (and zombie films) so there are like 2 or 3 similar films that came out this same year. This is the best one out of all them.

The King (2017): Basically the Korean version of The Wolf of Wall Street. Very fun movie.

The Tooth and the Nail (2017): Didn't get to see this until late last year. Was bummed to find out one of the leads, Kim Joo-hyuk, died in a car accident not too long after the film came out. He was great in a political/kidnapping thriller The Truth Beneath (2016) and also pretty good as a lunatic drug dealer in the posthumously released Believer with the aforementioned Cho Jin-woong as the lead.

Rampant (2018): Going back to the zombie film obsession South Korea has...this is the best of the bunch. Fun and bloody film.

What a Man Wants (2018): Shin Ha-kyun is playing against type in a comedy film that's goddamn hilarious. Usually South Korean comedy films are a little too local for my taste, but this is one of the exceptions.

Believer (2018): This is basically what Ridley Scott couldn't accomplish with The Counselor with way better execution. The cinematography is exceptional.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Jessica McNamee (The Meg, Battle of the Sexes) has been cast as Sonya Blade and Josh Lawson (House of Lies, Superstore) has been cast as Kano in the Mortal Kombat reboot

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jessica McNamee (The Meg, Battle of the Sexes) has been cast as Sonya Blade and Josh Lawson (House of Lies, Superstore) has been cast as Kano in the Mortal Kombat reboot

I’m curious how this will turn out. I recognize no one so far who’s been cast. But each do look like the characters they are playing at least. I just want a modern R-Rated version of the 90’s movie. 

Now I’m crossing my fingers that the only big name actor will play Raiden, and it’ll be none other than Tom Cruise.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

23 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Spare him my Lord Cruise. American life has enfeebled his mind. Too much television.

I'm not American. I've never even set foot on American soil.

In Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, it states that Raiden is seven feet tall but his sprite was the same height as the other fighters.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lucy in the Sky

Space makes Natalie Portman crazy

Normally I am a sucker for women with short hair, but her bob is terrible.  It just screams May I Speak To Your Supervisor, Please?