Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, Contentious C said:

Looking at RT made me realize how many fucking Keanu Reeves movies I've seen.  Jesus Christ, that's just too many, and he's only done 50+.  What the Hell is wrong with me.

No, that makes perfect sense. I knew a guy who'd seen loads of Christopher Lambert movies, lots of times. Dozens of them. Christopher Lambert films that his own parents hadn't heard of, he'd seen them. Could quote whole scripts from memory, and I'm not just talking Highlander and Greystoke, I'm talking the one about Chess that went straight to video. So I asked him if Christopher Lambert was his favourite actor. He says "No, I hate him, he's a lazy, untalented actor. He just keeps on making exactly the sort of movie I want to see, over and over again".

So if you've seen too many Keanu Reeves movies, all that proves is that you have the same taste in movies that Keanu has in scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's just rubbish.  The only value to having seen so many of his movies is the occasional reminder of what constitutes a bad movie.  Though I am surprised he made not one but two movies with Gus Van Sant.

...

What?  You were expecting me to read that and say, "Whoa"?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AxB said:

 I knew a guy who'd seen loads of Christopher Lambert movies, lots of times.

Christopher Lambert?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This has got to stop.

This one is apparently going to be with teenagers.  Just no. 

If its based off of Extreme Ghostbusters then its a solid idea and the only sensible one for it there ever was the past 10-15 years. Swap Ray for Egon's role in teaching/training college kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Keanu rules though.  Point Break, Speed, John Wick,  The Matrix.  

Reeves is one of the greatest action stars of all-time. He's been in so many great action movies that he can stack up with anyone.

He's also objectively a terrible actor unless he gets to play a guy who never changes register. He's dreadfully bad in dramas. He's wooden as fuck. He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent. He nearly ruined Dracula singlehandedly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Reeves is one of the greatest action stars of all-time. He's been in so many great action movies that he can stack up with anyone.

He's also objectively a terrible actor unless he gets to play a guy who never changes register. He's dreadfully bad in dramas. He's wooden as fuck. He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent. He nearly ruined Dracula singlehandedly. 

It's awesome watching the BTS/rehearsals at Coppola's palatial Napa Valley home and on the set, and Oldman is nice enough to pretend that Keanu is on par with him. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He might be the worst ever at trying to pick up an accent.

No, that would be the aforementioned Christopher Lambert.

Highlander has just enough sword fighting badassery and Clancy Brown awesomeness ("Hi, I'm Candy."  "Of course you are..") that you nearly forget that Connor MacLeod is supposed to be a native born Scotsman and it is almost unbearable to listen to Lambert murder that accent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diegetically, I can understand how a guy 300 years old, living all over the world, would have a weird mish mash of accents. 

Now, Ramirez having a Scottish accent, ...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keanu in romantic dramas or damadies really is the worst. He just doesn't emote very well unless that emotion is anger or withdrawal.

And that's why John Wick is great. He pulls off being completely withdrawn about his wife very well and then pulls off being angry about his dog very well. 

He does...um...confused very well too. First Matrix movie where he's a fish out of water and confused about everything, great. Other two Matrix movies where he's this confident Neo, but also very stoic, not good, but then again, those movies were terrible for other reasons too.

Somehow though, he's pretty decent in the Devil's Advocate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keanu in Much Ado ... (head shakes) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J.T. said:

No, that would be the aforementioned Christopher Lambert.

Highlander has just enough sword fighting badassery and Clancy Brown awesomeness ("Hi, I'm Candy."  "Of course you are..") that you nearly forget that Connor MacLeod is supposed to be a native born Scotsman and it is almost unbearable to listen to Lambert murder that accent.

I don’t know if I would go so far as to praise the sword fights, but I’ll agree Clancy Brown as the Kurgan steals the show. Shame that we didn’t get more of him. By seeing some lost deleted scenes stills, he actually gets to take out a couple of more Immortals. That movie  is still a mess narratively, and doesn’t hold up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Wick 3 teaser (Full trailer Tomorrow!):

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reeves was decent in Street Kings, although I've always wondered what it would've been like with another actor in his role.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those rehearsals on the digipak version of the Dracula DVD? I... uh... need to see those...

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Somehow though, he's pretty decent in the Devil's Advocate. 

Re: That film; as I recall, Pacino's overacting is actually what brings the movie down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm going to go see Glass. I mean, full stop, no question, been waiting almost twenty years.

But it's kinda funny if, immediately after making two well received lower budget thrillers got him out of director jail, he immediately puts himself back in it by fucking up the most anticipated movie he's made in over a decade, if not good entire career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, I'm going to go see Glass. I mean, full stop, no question, been waiting almost twenty years.

But it's kinda funny if, immediately after making two well received lower budget thrillers got him out of director jail, he immediately puts himself back in it by fucking up the most anticipated movie he's made in over a decade, if not good entire career.

It is projected to make between $105 - $120 million globally this 4 day weekend. $60-$70 million domestically.

He will be just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High Life

Robert Pattinson,  Juliette Binoche, Mia Goth, Andre Benjamin

Director: Claire Denis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Diegetically, I can understand how a guy 300 years old, living all over the world, would have a weird mish mash of accents. 

Now, Ramirez having a Scottish accent, ...

Lambert's Connor MacLeod had the French accent before he found out he was immortal.

It actually makes more sense for Ramirez to have the mish mash of accents since he was originally Egyptian and had traveled around the world over a full century before Connor was born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Somehow though, he's pretty decent in the Devil's Advocate. 

That's still a character that's heavy on the confused and pissed-off tones you described, though. I sort of think of that role as if the character from River's Edge had grown up to be a lawyer. 

And his dad was Satan.

Plus, imagining him saying, "Mother fucker! Food eater!" to Pacino is hilarious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been called Ex Communicado, but it looks pretty damn cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love nothing more than for Gyllenhaal, Russo, and Gilroy to be some sort of cinema-troupe that makes films together for eternity. Even though it's a Netflix film, I'm hyped for this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

 

HOLY FUCK, MARK MOTHER FUCKING DACASCOS IS THE LEAD BAD GUY ASSASSIN AND HE SHAVED HIS HEAD~!  WHERE ARE MY PANTS~??

They better give Reeves vs. Dacascos a lot more time that Jet Li vs. Dacascos got in Cradle 2 The Grave.

Jesus, the international list of extras playing assassin characters is fucking insane:

Yayan MOTHER FUCKING Ruhian, Cecep Arif Rahman, Tiger Hu MOTHER FUCKING Chen, Boban Marjanović, Vladimir and Vlado Mihailov, Danish Bhatt, Candace M. Smith.

Common coming back to reprise his role as Cassian is just bonus.

I think I am more exited about this movie than I am about Avengers: Endgame.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I'd love nothing more than for Gyllenhaal, Russo, and Gilroy to be some sort of cinema-troupe that makes films together for eternity. Even though it's a Netflix film, I'm hyped for this

 

This man hates the Horror Movie thread.  

I think almost everyone except for me and Curt does, actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...