DVDVR Message Board

2019 UPCOMING MOVIES THREAD

RIPPA

Travolta posted a picture of himself recently embracing his baldness and it makes you wonder why he hasn't done so sooner as he actually looks much, much better.

fi9YEla_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

30 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

Travolta posted a picture of himself recently embracing his baldness and it makes you wonder why he hasn't done so sooner as he actually looks much, much better.

fi9YEla_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I wanna know what is up with that mash-up between Phenomenon, and Get Shorty in the background?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

GQ had a great profile catching up with Frasier recently.  Between injuries and having career issues because he wasn't into being sexually harassed by Philip Berk, the head of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the dude has been through some shit.

“By the time I did the third Mummy picture in China,” which was 2008, “I was put together with tape and ice—just, like, really nerdy and fetishy about ice packs. Screw-cap ice packs and downhill-mountain-biking pads, 'cause they're small and light and they can fit under your clothes. I was building an exoskeleton for myself daily.” Eventually all these injuries required multiple surgeries: “I needed a laminectomy. And the lumbar didn't take, so they had to do it again a year later.” There was a partial knee replacement. Some more work on his back, bolting various compressed spinal pads together. At one point he needed to have his vocal cords repaired. All told, Fraser says, he was in and out of hospitals for almost seven years.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Sad 2

James Wan is producing a new MORTAL KOMBAT film.  Not directing, which takes some of the luster off it.

I was just thinking a week or two ago that the time felt right for someone to take another crack at that franchise.  The last few games have rejuvenated the brand and sold it to a younger generation, and the success of DEADPOOL has shown that there's presently a market for this mix of gory/funny over the top stuff.

I can't remember a whole lot from Maleficent, but I do recall that they do the "Wicked" thing where Maleficent really isn't evil, she cares for Aurora, then there's a misunderstanding late in the movie, Aurora's dad goes crazy, he winds up dying, but the movie ends with Maleficent not being a villain.

So if my fragmented memory is correct, how the hell is she now the mistress of evil? This trailer makes it feel like this movie is really disconnected from the previous one.

6 hours ago, EVA said:

James Wan is producing a new MORTAL KOMBAT film.  Not directing, which takes some of the luster off it.

I was just thinking a week or two ago that the time felt right for someone to take another crack at that franchise.  The last few games have rejuvenated the brand and sold it to a younger generation, and the success of DEADPOOL has shown that there's presently a market for this mix of gory/funny over the top stuff.

So we can  look forward to MK being part of the Conjuringverse now?

12 hours ago, driver said:

So we can  look forward to MK being part of the Conjuringverse now?

Wan did a pretty good job with Aquaman, so his horror catalogue hasn't prevented him from crafting some pretty impressive and over the top action scenes in a bigger than life hero movie.

I imagine that MK will be a good project for him since it will have both superhero-esque action sequences as well as horror / gore elements.

The movie will live and die with the cast so here's hoping he gets people who can act as well as fight.

I'm guessing that Iko Uwais will be getting the call to play Scorpion so he'll be able to convincingly beat the shit out of people without having to worry about a heavy English speaking part.

Edited by J.T.

One of my favourite directors and personalities, Taika Waititi:

Fox Searchlight has set an October release date for Taika Waititi’s “Jojo Rabbit,” making it by default one of the studio’s fall contenders with a possible premiere at one of the major fall film festivals. However, anyone expecting a traditional awards season release just doesn’t know Taika. The film is billed as an “anti-hate satire” and takes place in Nazi Germany where a young boy must face off against his own love of country and his imaginary friend, an idiotic version of Adolf Hitler. Waititi is playing the Nazi leader himself, but he didn’t spend any time researching or preparing for the role.

“I didn’t have to do any research, and I didn’t do any research,” Waititi told Deadline about his unorthodox interpretation of Hitler. “I didn’t base him on anything I’d seen about Hitler before. I just made him a version of myself that happened to have a bad haircut and a shitty little mustache. And a mediocre German accent.”

Waititi continued, “It would just be too weird to play the actual Hitler, and I don’t think people would enjoy the character as much. Because he was such a fucking c*nt, and everyone knows that as well. I think people have got to relate to really enjoy the ride.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/05/taika-waititi-hitler-research-jojo-rabbit-1202141450/

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, Wan and Mortal Kombat feel like a perfect match.

Gareth Evans would be better for a martial arts heavy movie, but Wan will probably do a good job.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Again - remember - Wan is not directing Mortal Kombat

Just producing

If Wan produces and they get Evans to direct, I will lose my shit.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

If Wan produces and they get Evans to direct, I will lose my shit.

After seeing trailers for the movie Shadow, Zhang Yimou should probably  be on the short list.

Full Trailer for Always Be My Maybe

Ali Wong, Randall Park, Daniel Dae Kim and a surprise that is revealed at the end of the trailer

Also NSFW due to language

I watched my friend play a boatload of MK11 last night while we spun records (I am notoriously terrible at video games so let him indulge in private) and thought they could do a nice ripoff of The Raid in the Kombat movie by "moving up the tower". And fantasy booked Ryan Reynolds as Johnny Cage, of course.